Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8693 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2013 8:54 AM by ScottVictor RSS 1 2 Previous Next
49fat50fit Rookie 1 posts since
May 15, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

May 15, 2013 10:15 AM

49 and fat. Want to be 50 and fit.

I'm 49 and I'm fat.

I'm not talking about a few extra pounds. I'm 320 lbs and I've already lost 20. I'm a big guy and at 270 I look OK, but this is ridiculous.

I've got 8 months to go until my 50th birthday, and I'm determined to look and feel better in my 50s than I did in my 40s.

In 2011, I got serious.  Started at 340, did a medically supervised PSMF, started C25k, lost 70 pounds in 8 months. I was 270 for the first time in a decade, I was running 3x a week, I felt great.

Then.....marriage fell apart, and so did I.

So 2012 was all about getting mentally fit.  (And getting divorced). So now I'm single, and I'm feeling good.  Head screwed on straight. Life going in the right direction.  But on Jan 21st, I stepped on the scale and saw 339. 

Didn't ever want to hit 340 again, so I started making small changes. Less snacking. Better food choices. Found a biking buddy, and started riding again (I used to love to ride). Walked when I couldn't ride. Lost 20 pounds.

Finally re-started c25k 3 weeks ago. w1d1 was tough.  Did w3d2 yesterday.

I'm not built for running - really bad knees make it difficult.  But it's the only way I can get in a good calorie burn in 30 minutes without actually going to the gym. So my plan is to get through c25k and then incorporate 3 mile runs 2x a week along with biking 2x a week, some Tai Chi or yoga and some calisthenics/weight training.

2013 Goals: 270 by my 50th birthday. That's 1.5 pounds per week.

Complete C25k by July 1, and then consistently run, bike or swim 4x per week.

Life Goals: Get to 220 by my 51st birthday, and keep it under 225 for the rest of my life. BodPod measurement in 2011 told me I've got 174 lbs of lean body mass, so 220 is 21% body fat.

Be 50, fit and fabulous!

Just looking for a place to let people know where I'm at, and how I'm doing.  A place to ask about the pain in my knee, or other concerns.

Thanks for listening!

• Lori883 Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 28, 2013
    1. May 15, 2013 12:08 PM (in response to 49fat50fit)

Well you sound like you are on the right track and I agree I like running because it's quick and burns a heck of a lot of calories.  I'm 51 just started back to running a little over a year ago and I am at a 10 min mile, have done several 5ks and feel great.  I've been doing it on my own and I will tell you how I got started maybe it will help some.  I found these free podcasts for 5K101 something like couch to 5k. Once i did the first 6 weeks of it I could run a 5k, although not fast 12 almost 13 min miles. I took my time, I also downloaded Nikeplus to track all my progress.  I don't' know if you already have a program like this but it's helped me greatly.  Make sure it's a gps app it's more accurate than the shoe sensor. OH and good music you gotta have good motivating music, helps my pace.

One year later my nike app is registering 430 miles I never thought I could do that ever but the fact that I can track miles so easily is why technology is so awesome.  I am right at a 10 min mile now, I run 3 5ks a week and once in a while I make one of them a 4 to 6 mile run.  If I can do that you can do it too! I know you are worried about your knees so it would help if you go to a specialty running store and let them recommend a shoe for you if you haven't already.

Good luck and take your time, you can do it.  One good thing about getting older is you get more determined as well. 

• AndyDavis20 Amateur 10 posts since
    Jan 31, 2013
    2. May 15, 2013 12:11 PM (in response to 49fat50fit)

For what its worth (every body is different) I lost 26 pounds in two months (216 > 190) sitting on the couch and eating right, then lost 0 pounds training for 12 months for my first marathon, going from 2 to 26 miles.  Thats my way of saying I think weight loss is 90% diet.  Some "bullet points" of my diet:

- no bread, at all, ever.  So no crackers, cookies, cakes, etc.  OK so I cheat occassionally but basically if its got wheat in it I don't eat it.

- the rest is about 1/3 protein, 1/3 veggies and 1/3 good starches (rice or sweet potatoes usually) with fruit thrown in haphazardly

- I eat 3 hours apart mainly because I have a tendency to lose control and gorge if I get too hungry

- I find for me lots of water is MANDATORY for losing weight.  100+ oz per day.

So a typical day of meals for me:

breakfast = 3 eggs and 1/2 cup oatmeal

lunch 1 = 6 oz of some bird usually and 4 oz of veggies, usually broccoli or spinach

lunch 2 = can of tuna or salmon, 4 oz brown rice, 4 oz veggies

lunch 3 = greek yogurt, handful of almonds, maybe also an apple and granola bars if its going to be awhile til dinner

dinner = whatever I want within reason, just never bread.  Try to get 6 oz protein.

So you might try something like that and lose a bunch of weight first before you start running, just to save your knees for when you'll really want to use them.  Maybe also look into your running form you might be doing it wrong

• Mo__Mo Rookie 7 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    3. May 15, 2013 6:32 PM (in response to AndyDavis20)

I'm not sure i agree with Andy and 90% diet, but I do belong to weight watchers and hear many of the successful people saying that you lose your weight in the kitchen and get fit in the gym. I've lost 57 pounds in the last couple years and think running ( or, more accurately lurching along) has played a big part. But since I've been doing both I can't really say for sure so maybe Andy and the WW elders are right. Either way, exercise and diet are a dream team together. So good luck to you, me and my 57 year old knees are feeling your pain and rooting you on

• Mo__Mo Rookie 7 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    4. May 15, 2013 6:35 PM (in response to Mo__Mo)

And ps: more and more men are coming to my weight watchers meetings, you may wanna consider giving it a try. I believe it helps

• rb77 Amateur 37 posts since
    Oct 20, 2010
    5. May 18, 2013 12:00 PM (in response to AndyDavis20)

I agree with what Andy has to say about weight loss being mostly a change in your diet. 90%/10%, maybe 80%/20%.

For example, if I run 24 miles this week I'll burn about 2400 calories. That's about 2/3 of a pound. I could easily add 400 calories per day to what I am already eating, be 400 calories over for the week, and not gain or lose any weight.

I tend to eat according to how much I work out. I'd like to lose 30 more lbs, but if I don't change my diet I'll never lose weight, because I don't want to work out any more than I am now.

I don't know about the no bread thing, but if that works for you, more power to you.

• William Connelly Rookie 6 posts since
    May 7, 2008
    6. May 22, 2013 4:44 PM (in response to 49fat50fit)

Way to go!  Had a similar experience, perhaps not as severe, but at 51 weighed 250 (I'd been stable for almost ten years).  Some said I carried it well, but I felt crappy.  I hadn't "moved" in 25 years.  I got fed up with myself, thinking I wouldn't see 60.  Began to pay attention to what I ate, did all the things you're doing.  Then after 6 month and a 20lb loss, I started gradually moving - first just walks and some weights.  That was good for another year and a half, during which I lost another 20lbs.  When the walking "just wasn't enough" anymore, I began to run, working up to 5K's and then even a few 10K's. Lost another 20lbs, felt & looked great.  Started to bike some, just in case the knees went bad, then some swimming.  At 56 I took up sprint triathlons and have completed 25.  I'm 190lbs and more fit than I was at 30.

On the knees - just listen to your own body, and seek help before you just quit doing something.  Make sure your shoes are good, consider compression wear for your knee(s) and crosstrain.  The bike, which you like, is great for that - no impact, and it strengthens all the stabilizing muscles around the knee joint.  Consider swimming (and don't be embarrassed at the pool - you should see some of the regulars at my community pool!).  And don't deprive yourself of protein and calcium. 

Most of the other advice above is sound, but you have to figure what works for YOU in the eating department.  And don't ever call it a "diet" - you need to eat FOR health, not "to lose weight." My advice - be patient and steady.  Watch what you eat (I eat anything and everything, just in moderation) and keep moving.  Reward yourself - new, smaller-size clothes, a weekend trip, a race sign-up, whatever motivates you - and hang in there.  The compliments from friends and family - and your own mirror - will make it worth all the effort.

You can do it, man!  50 will be better than ever, trust me.  And sixty feels pretty good!

• david4all Rookie 1 posts since
    May 22, 2013
    7. May 23, 2013 4:54 AM (in response to 49fat50fit)

Great, you are making the changes.  I am 54 and I was fat.  April 19, 2012 I was 251.  I would like to tell you what I did because it worked for me. I used the Medifast diet program for 4 months and stuck to it. No exercise beyond normal yardwork.  Yes the cost seems high but when you subtract what you do not spend eating out, the net cost can drop a lot or even save you money.   By the end of July 2012 I was 207.  In August I decided to run a marathon which is strange because the longest run in my life was 1.5 miles in my early 20's. My knees creaked and I have bone spur on the bottom of my foot.  In early September I started running with couch to 5K and stuck to it.  I learned with the right shoes, the spur did not hurt and the knees would "oil up" as I ran.  By mile 2 the creakiness was gone.  At the end of September I started tracking my runs on MapMyRun and my calories on Myfitnesspal.  I finished my own 5K training run in late October and then made a plan to train for the marathon using Hal Higdon's Novice 1 program.  I ran all winter with many days with a wind chill factor below zero.  I ran 650 miles during my training.  In early early April I ran a 10K and it is the only race I ever ran until the marathon  On May 4 I completed a marathon in 4 hours 31 minutes.   All the cold, dark and sweat was worth it.  My running weight was 185.  My next races are 2 sprint triathlons and then the Chicago International triathlon at the end of August.  I recognize this plan will not work for everyone, but perhaps you modify mine to work for you.

Mr Connelly talks about cross training - he is right on.  He talks about moderation.  I am the opposite, I learned I must either be in or out as I do not moderate.  Someone else talked about the weight loss is mostly diet, this is very true. I found I needed a running plan.  At the end of October I planned every day of rest and running until the marathon.  Thanksgiving and Christmas were days where I ate anything I wanted.  It was over 4000 calories each day. So much of this is mental attitude.  Look at what everyone writes, figure out what works for you and then stick to it.  You can do it.

• lunameow Rookie 3 posts since
    May 28, 2013
    8. May 29, 2013 1:01 AM (in response to 49fat50fit)

Similar goal here. I'm 39, and want to be running regularly by the time I hit 40 in October. It's also the age a dear friend of mine first started running, and she did her first marathon last year, so that's some hardcore motivation.

I've had osteo arthritis in my knees and hips since I was a little kid, and recently developed it in my lower back. It's challenging sometimes, but I find that the more I move, the less I hurt. On a scale of 1-10 for frequency and severity, my back pain was about a 9.5, needing assistance occasionally to sit up, and popping painkillers like candy. After working out regularly for a few months, it was down to about a 2. Even when I got sick and missed a couple of weeks, it only climbed to about a 5, and I know I can get it back down. That alone is worth it for me.

• KirkWells0 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 6, 2013
    9. May 29, 2013 11:26 AM (in response to 49fat50fit)

I turned 50 last October and after being heavy most of my life decided enough was enough.  I also promised my wife that I would start taking better care of myself.  I was aware of the behavior that led to my current state of health so I made some changes:

• I made a list with 3 columns and listed foods that I would avoid (chips, sugar, soda, candy, juice, etc.), foods that I would consume in moderation (diary, alcohol, etc.), and a list of foods that I would consume more of (vegetables, legumes, beans, fish, etc.). This made me consider my food choices at each meal.
    • I started using a calorie counter (I use Livestrong but there are plenty out there).  This made me way more aware of my portions and meal sizes.
    • I started excercising daily walking at first but worked my way up to being able to run as much as I could comfortably handle. I also use Map my Run to track my walks/runs/bike rides.

Since November 2012 I am down 45 pounds and I'm about where I want to be weight-wise.  I have dropped quite a few pant and shirt sizes.  I am running about 15-25 miles a week now and have dropped my pace down to 8 minute miles.  I hope to do a 1/2 marathon this fall.  I am also planning on doing more strength training.  I feel so much better and have way more energy.

I still track my calories and excercise daily and use my avoid/moderation/eat-away strategy.

Good luck in your goals!

• fitandover40 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 29, 2013
    10. May 29, 2013 12:09 PM (in response to 49fat50fit)

I love that you have specific health goals.  I too, needed to do a health overhaul if you will.  I lost 47 lbs in less than 4 months and have kept it off for over 7 years now.  I loved the journey so much that now I help others do what I did, for FREE.   If you are truly interested in acheiving your goals and would like help with an action plan, send me a reply.  

Wising you all the success in being 51 and fit!

• Snowman63 Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 10, 2012
    11. May 29, 2013 1:40 PM (in response to 49fat50fit)

I was in the same boat except I started at 260 lbs and I was 48. I'm now turning 50 and much leaner and fit and I can run long distances. Doing a marathon in Sept. My fist piece of advice is get good running shoes. Spend the extra it takes but they are vital. I had really bad hip problems where I couldn't run and the problem resolved itself with some weight loss and the right running shoes. I'm in better shape now at 50 than when  was 30. Stay with it no matter what, you will succeed if you want it hard enough. Persistence is the key. Healthy eating helps a lot too. Green vegetables (actually all vegetables), a little fruit (not much). protein and lots and lots of water (no soda). I would also recommend some at home body weight exercises for strengthening your core. It takes time but if you're diligent, you will be a whole lot fitter for you 50th and you can reach that goal.

• Billsr Pro 159 posts since
    May 23, 2009
    12. May 30, 2013 4:28 PM (in response to 49fat50fit)

There are various and sundry theories here about what works. Five years ago at age 47 I lost 50 pounds. I went from 195 down to between 140-45. I have kept it off since then. There was some diet change. I am of the mind that you still can enjoy food while being more sensible. I operate on what I call a weekday diet. From monday through friday I have a minimal breakfast (cereal, fruit) a slim fast bar for lunch and a regular dinner. Weekends I eat whatever I want to. I run five miles a day six days a week (8-8:30 pace), do 30 minutes of push ups/sit ups and stretching exercises six days a week and do exercise bike for 30 min a day @20MPH so I burn plenty of calories. The first year that I started exercising I started off with 4 minutes a day on the treadmill WALKING. Over time I gradually increased the time and speed until I started running after a full year.  Don't set specific goals at this point. You will be putting too much pressure on yourself. Let things happen gradually. What is most important at this point in time is simply establishing a routine and sticking with it. Make the exercise as much a part of your day as brushing your teeth. Just remember start slowly and look for little victories.

-Bill

• alancz Amateur 21 posts since
    Aug 12, 2008
    13. Jun 2, 2013 7:00 PM (in response to Billsr)

So, I have done the C25k before, lost 20 pounds 220 down to to 199 (actually 21) wanted to see <200 on the scale.  Then came winter, no problem with the cold but dark before work, dark after work go into hybernation mode... which is not conducive to running and no lazy eating. 

Now, like you, want to get fit for the best years of my life.  I am 51 and started C25k at 225.  Just finished week 5, currently at 218, feeling really good.  However, I know many, many people, as I am sure you do, much lighter and more fit who believe they need to get more fit and lose weight.  So here's the point - don't be in a hurry, hopefully you will live a very long time.  No Matter what don't stop working out, running.  Whatever your down fall is figure out how to get around it.  (i.e) mine is winter and darkness, I'll just have to figure that out. 

If you keep doing wat you are doing you will reach ahealthy weight and have a healthy body.  Be patient, be consistent, and I hate to say it, but just DO IT! and keep doing it!

Dont Stop

• Gene101 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 17, 2012
    14. Jun 3, 2013 5:17 PM (in response to alancz)

The pain in your knees is caused by the weight that is pounding on them, plain and simple. Is there a chance your misinterpreting the pain and you actually have lower quad or upper calf cramping? Either way I'm impressed with your wanting to run, you should lose more weight first to avoid injury. A slow runner is still faster than an injured and sidelined runner and still able to train too. You don't have to sweat to burn calories, try the pool. There's a running exercise you can do in the water thats a great strengthener. Running is contagious! Hence the reason you came back to it. Have you run a 5K road race yet?

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...