Skip navigation

710 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2013 4:28 PM by justamaniac RSS
justamaniac Pro 170 posts since
May 30, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 14, 2013 8:36 AM

A hill at the very end of the MCM?

I've heard about a hill at the end of the MCM course?  I'm not familiar with the area and a look at the course elevations don't show much for elevation changes, so what's up with this hill just before the finish line that I've been hearing about?  Is this just bogus talk?

For the record, I'm ok with hills, just a little less so after 26 miles...  Thanks for any info.  I'd rather be forewarned and prepared.

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,332 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. May 14, 2013 8:59 AM (in response to justamaniac)
    Re: A hill at the very end of the MCM?

Yes, you finish uphill!  It's not a huge hill, it just arrives at mile 26 (almost exactly).  The race finishes at the Iwo Jima Monument, which is on a rise. You make a left off the main drag, head straight up the hill for a couple hundred feet, then turn right and go around the hill (still up though) to the finish.  You also run past the hill just after the start (on your left), so you can get a look at it to get an idea.  Take a look here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9139017@N05/6239649546/.  It gives you some idea of the hill, though it's looking in the wrong direction.

Len

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    3. May 14, 2013 2:12 PM (in response to justamaniac)

There will be lots of verbal encouragement at the Finish Line to get you up the hill. Don't sweat it.

It is a privilege to run up to the Iwo momument.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4. May 15, 2013 8:32 AM (in response to skypilot77)

Yep, it's a hill but it's also at a time when you are very happy the end of the race!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points