Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

800 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2013 2:54 AM by Lori883 RSS
Lori883 Rookie 5 posts since
Feb 28, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

May 15, 2013 11:38 AM

Trying to get to 9 min mile

Hello Everyone,

This is the first question I've posted so bear with me.  I've been trying to run a faster pace for 5Ks, currently I am about a 10:10 min mile I am trying to get to under 10 and eventually 9.  My problem is I feel like I am doing good, got a good pace going but at the end of my 5k I have dry heaves and feel like I am going to lose it.  It only lasts until I am cooled down which is only a couple of minutes, but I am wondering what I am doing wrong. I run 3 5ks a week and one long run (4-6) miles always in the morning because I live in SWFL and I need to get outside before the humidity is unbearable.  Is it hydration that I am missing because of the heat and humidity? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• MegaDan88 Amateur 26 posts since
    Mar 1, 2013
    1. May 15, 2013 4:09 PM (in response to Lori883)

The dry heaving could be dehydration...or it could be overdoing it, it could be out-of-shape, it could be eating too much before your workout...who knows. The devil is in the details. The only thing I can think of with the limited information is to incorporate one interval or "speed" training to your week. Althought there are some runners who would argue that trying to run a pace slower than 8 minutes per mile, you don't need any interval or speedwork, just put in the miles. Well, your goal seems specific...

try to do a 3X1 mile once a week...running each mile at or close to your target time...you say your running at around 10:10 per mile? Try around 9:40 pace, about 30 seconds faster...and take about a 3-5 minute walk/jog between intervals...build from there.

I think alot of runners would agree that running too many "race pace" sessions is not a good idea, but not running any isn't a good idea either.

So I guess what I'm saying is put more variety into it. Instead of 3 5k sessions and one long run of 4-6...Do one interval session of a 3x1 mile or 6x.5 mile or something similiar at "target" pace, one 5k session (not race pace), one tempo run of 4 miles (perhaps 10 seconds faster than 10k pace, or about 30 seconds slower than 5k race pace), and one long run....put in a 5k practice race at the most once every two weeks, maybe once a month. Find what works for you.

I guess if you take anything from this, more variety...it's the spice of life.

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep."

Robert Frost

Los Angeles Marathon on March of 1994: 3 hr 28 min 9 sec

Run with Santa 5k on 12/22/12: 25 min 19 sec

Mardi Gras 5k on 02/09/13: 24 min 50 sec

Cirque Du Soleil 5k on 03/16/13: 23 min 33 sec

Douglas Green Memorial 5k on 05/18/13: 22 min 47 sec

4th of July 5k Blast on 07/04/13:???

• justamaniac Pro 136 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    2. May 15, 2013 4:50 PM (in response to Lori883)

My personal experience as well as with other runners is that the dry heaves come from over-exertion. And as MegaDan88 mentions there could be other factors involved such as hydration or nutrition. 

But I'm thinking that the real clue is that you are able to recover very quickly, which is usually the case when one pushes oneself really hard for a short period of time.  I'm betting that you are sprinting or at least running as hard as you can for the last bit of the course.  The net result is that your body is sucking every ounce of energy it can find, not to mention oxygen, and if you are not in stellar shape, your body is going to punish you with side affects (like the dry heaves).  The good news is that the human body does recover from situations like this really well - as you have discovered.

Regarding getting a little faster, I think that the core component is doing intervals once a week.  A routine that I've used is to run easy (warm up) for 1/2 or 1mile, then run hard for 1/4 mile, recover for a 1/4mile, and repeat this 5-6 times or more.  This seems to wake up the "go faster" muscles.  Over time I've noticed my times getting better (but I'm also at an age where I'm simply not going to improve speed-wise much more).  I'm told that I shouldn't do speed intervals more than once a week - I don't know why.

Hope that this is helpful!

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    5. May 15, 2013 7:57 PM (in response to Lori883)

The rules to training are really simple in running.

If one wants to do well running up hills --- one has to practice hills

If one wants to run a long distance --- one has to do long distance runs

If one wants to run faster --- one has to practice running fast, over shorter distances

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,269 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. May 15, 2013 8:49 PM (in response to Lori883)

MegaDan88 and justamaniac offered pretty good advice and you would be wise to adjust your training plan to something along those lines. What you're doing now is not really good training technique and carries too much chance of injury and even overtraining. (Imagine that, overtraining on 15 miles per week.)  The dry heaves are a dead giveaway. That should not be happening on any regular training run. You can have just as much fun and avoid the dry heaves with a more targetted training plan. A little reading on training techniques might also be worthwhile. Here is one good source: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/tips

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points