Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4513 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2013 4:41 AM by HeatherNees RSS
kellysgirl Rookie 2 posts since
May 8, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

May 8, 2013 10:28 AM

participating in 5K before finishing C25K

I am a beginning runner.  I've used the C25K program before but stopped before finishing it.  This time I'm gonna do it!  There is a 5K coming up at the end of June that I'd like to participate in, but know that I'll be nowhere ready to run it.  I'd really like to do it to have fun with some friends and finish it even if I have to run/walk the entire way.  Am I pushing it?  Should I wait until I've completed the C25K program?  Looking for some advice...

• Geeknerdwonk Amateur 8 posts since
    May 5, 2013
    1. May 8, 2013 11:29 AM (in response to kellysgirl)

I don't have some advice but am offering support.  I was at the end of Week 4 when i got a concussion (unrelated) and am just now trying again - on week 2.  I think I will likely look for one NOW for about a month from now, to keep me committed.

So proud of you for working through it and inspiring me!

• klmtiger Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 17, 2012
    3. May 8, 2013 12:33 PM (in response to kellysgirl)

I say go for it. There's no need to wait until the end of the C25K program, unless you have a certain time you'd like to hit in a "goal" race.

If you go in with the right expectations, and just set out to enjoy yourself, I think it could be a really fun day; and who knows, you might even surprise yourself!

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    4. May 8, 2013 3:53 PM (in response to kellysgirl)

I say GO FOR IT!  I just wrote a post on my blog about my friend Monica. This past Saturday we did her first 5K.  No training no worries, just alot of fun.  She did it for the joy of it.  We all could learn alot from her.

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,271 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    5. May 8, 2013 6:14 PM (in response to kellysgirl)
    Re: participating in 5K before finishing C25K

Go for it. You'll be close enough to finishing C25K in any event. Do it run/walk to start. If you get half-way or so and you're feeling good, see how much you can run.

Len

• GinaBeGina Rookie 1 posts since
    May 16, 2013
    6. May 16, 2013 9:30 AM (in response to kellysgirl)

I say go for it too!  I'm on Week 4 Day 3 of C25K and am signed up for my local July 4th 5K.  If everything goes as planned I'll finish it by June 15th.  I'll have about 2 1/2 weeks to improve it. Right now I'm only making 2 miles average (Week 4 walking & running) and wonder how another 1.1 miles is really realistic for me running the entire 5K.  But my family will be there and we're going to have a lot of fun being out on the the 4th of July.  I figure when I'm done I can jump in the pool or ocean whichever comes first.

• efaber Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 9, 2012
    7. May 22, 2013 10:57 AM (in response to kellysgirl)

I just came up with an idea for this last week.  I'm in the same boat, so as long as you run a 5K that allows you to wear an ear bud, just do you C25K training app as you run the 5K.  You can repeat a training day if you need to to make it run long enough, you'll be at intervals you're comfortable with, and it's not so likely you will injure yourself.  It will also be a great confidence builder for your training and your future races.

• Runner Lyijnen Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 13, 2008
    8. May 22, 2013 2:23 PM (in response to kellysgirl)

The most important part of the question is . . .  can you run / walk the 3.1 miles now?  If you can, then go for it.  If you absolutely cannot, don't set yourself up for failure.

• citznmag Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. May 22, 2013 5:12 PM (in response to kellysgirl)

I say go for it.   About 8 years ago I decided I wanted to be a runner.  I followed the C25K and was running approximately 2 miles comfortably.  I had the same concern signing up for a 5k before I had finished the program but did it anyway to keep myself motivated.  I got through it taking lots of walk breaks and then walked 2 more miles home.  I did the 5k in just over 47 minutes.

So again, go for it but I'll also add:  provided you can confortabley do 2 miles.  Listen to your body, walk as many times as you need to and have fun.

• sgonzalezesq Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 2, 2008
    10. May 23, 2013 4:13 AM (in response to kellysgirl)

Definitely go for it. I have done 2 5ks just walking and jogging them and my goal is that I will run my July 5k. I have one a month that I have signed up for now and most are obstacle runs that keep it fun and challenging as well but want to run a true 5k also. I just started back with the C25K with my sister and hope to stay motivated with the races I have signed up for. Good luck!!

• KaelynsMama Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    11. May 24, 2013 7:47 AM (in response to kellysgirl)

That's great! I say you should go for it just make sure you listen to your body and don't push yourself beyond your limits because injury would set you up for disaster as a beginning runner! Good luck and I hope you rock this 5K!

• lunameow Rookie 3 posts since
    May 28, 2013
    12. May 29, 2013 12:45 AM (in response to kellysgirl)

I started a C25K, and couldn't get through one minute of running without horrible pain. I opted to lose weight first so I don't stress my joints out. So I started walking regularly, still can't run, but I knew I could do 2.5 miles on a treadmill at a pretty good walking pace. A 5k came up that I wanted to enter (for one of my favorite causes), but it was less than a week away... I entered anyway. I didn't run a single second of it, and honestly, I barely made it walking (turns out the hills in Forest Park are a lot more difficult than a treadmill incline!), but I DID make it. I was easily the most out-of-shape, overweight participant there, but even when some of the others gave up, I didn't. The excitement, pride, and satisfaction motivated me to keep training to actually run one. Holding off right now, since I gotta get proper shoes (the damage done by cheap shoes is a big part of why I barely managed to walk it), but  I've got another 5k at the end of August, and I plan on running most of it. It's a glow/electric run, so some of it's gonna be, erm... danced, boogied, whatever'd. But the rest will be running.

I've also signed up for the Zombie Run three weeks from now, but as a zombie instead a runner. Still the great experience of being at the race and being physically active, without the pressure to get trained up in that short of a time.

• HeatherNees Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 30, 2013
    13. May 29, 2013 4:41 AM (in response to kellysgirl)

You go for it!!! Unless your goal is to be a real 'racer', set the world on fire and set some world records, don't wait!!  The important thing is to safely, take that first step, finish and have fun!!  My group is a bunch of novice runners and we have only been running/walking for the last 7 weeks. You bet we've already done a couple of races and we are doing Run Like A Girl on Sunday, June 2.  We will run, jog, sprint and walk but we will FINISH and that's what counts!  Go for it!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...