Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

748 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: May 16, 2013 7:27 PM by crl8686
kzum0411 Amateur 20 posts since
Feb 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 16, 2013 9:54 AM

Doc said I can't run...what else can I do instead?

I love running. I finally found something I'm halfway decent at and going out the door, getting away from the hubby and kids does me a world of good. Running helps me find my inner balance and brings me some much needed quiet time, not to mention the sense of accomplisment when I get done. Going for a run is my thing to do so you can imagine how sad I was when my toe was starting to bother me to the point where I couldn't hardly walk. I had this problem about a year ago when I was pregnant with baby #2, I was still running at the time so I went to a podiatrist. He x-rayed my foot and found a cyst growing in the bone of one of my toes. He told me since I was pregnant, there wasn't much he could do and told me to except take it easy. After a while, this pain went away.

Fast forward to now....I just trained for and completed my first half marathon less than a month ago. With NO pain, then 2 days after my race, I couldn't hardly walk, so off to the podiatrist I went. He took a new xray and found this cyst had doubled in size to the point where it's thinnig out my bone so much it's going to break soon. He told me I needed surgery and that my healing time will be 4-6 weeks but until then no running or high impact workouts.

My question is:  What other workouts can I do in the mean time to not lose my stamina for running? I want to run another half this fall but I don't want to start all over with training. I know I can bike or swim but what else is there? I can't sit on my *** all summer...anything will be appreciated, I am so very sad that I can't run...I almost cried when he told me not to run.

Thanks in advance..

Illinois Marathon 10k - 04.30.2010 -01:07:42

Kirby Derby 10k- 05.14.2010 -01:00:32

Kirby Derby 5k - 05.12.2012 -34:07 (25 weeks pregnant with baby #2)

Schumacher Shuffle 5k- 11.10.2012 -32:37 (13 weeks post partum)

Illinois Marathon 5k- 04.27.2013 -29:56

Ilinois Marathon Half- 04.28.2013 -2:22:23

• crl8686 Legend 1,307 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 16, 2013 7:27 PM (in response to kzum0411)
    Doc said I can't run...what else can I do instead?

It may seem like forever right now, but four to six weeks is really not a long time in the course of a running "career". 

In particular, if you have access to a gym, you will have a number of aerobic alternatives. If you are allowed to put full weight on your foot during recovery, either an elliptical trainer or stepper could be good options. If you cannot put weight on your foot during that time (which may be likely) then consider an exercise bike, either upright or recumbent, or perhaps a rowing machine. You may need to be careful to not bend your forefoot during recovery. Also consider taking advantage of this time to do extra upper body and core work.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Claremont Sunrise Rotary Turkey Trot, Claremont, CA, 24:23

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...