Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

675 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2013 3:45 PM by skypilot77 RSS
LChace Rookie 1 posts since
May 17, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

May 17, 2013 12:09 PM

Calories Intake Boost really necessary?

Hi,

This is my first time training for a race, Its not until September, but I've got a few questions if any one could help me out.

I am an avid beach volleyball player 3 times a week. And take outdoor boot camp classes 2-3 times a week as well. I am also training running four times a week.

However, I am looking to lose weight, not much just about 15 lbs. if possible. To lose weight though I am doing a calorie diet which I max at 1400 per day. I was reading that its very necessary to bump up the calories to a very high level about 2000.

Is it really necessary to bump up the calories that much? Or can I still train with only consuming 1400?

Also, I've read a bunch of different answers as to how much water you should increase. If someone could just tell me what they recommend i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks So Much

LJayne

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. May 20, 2013 7:31 AM (in response to LChace)

No, but the more you run the more calories you will burn!  Look on line thier are calculators that will tell you have much you burned approx based on pace and distance.  Then adjust that to your 1400 number and you should still lose.  Lots of people add to much when they start running and gain!   The right calories will also help!

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    2. May 21, 2013 4:38 AM (in response to LChace)

Calorie intake has to be tailored to the individual. It 1400 is the level you need to lose weight that is fine. But Bosn is right about looking at the calculators which can approximate the number of calories you burn for a given activity. Add those calories on top of the 1400. Since the calculators are only approximations -- at best --- it may take a little while to find the proper adjustment. For example, adding back 90% or 80% of the calories.

In regard to water -- again, this is a highly individualized requirement. I think it is folly to say any person needs x amount of ounces of water.

You learn how much water the body needs by experimentation. Too much water is just as bad as too little.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. May 21, 2013 12:17 PM (in response to skypilot77)

Drink to thirst only, no more.

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    4. May 21, 2013 3:45 PM (in response to BOSNPM)

BOSNPM wrote:

Drink to thirst only, no more.

That is a great way to say it

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points