Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1623 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2013 7:14 PM by alancz RSS
LoriRadford Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 11, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

May 20, 2013 7:50 AM

C25K question - Week 5 Day 3

I have been doing really well with the C25K until week 5 day 3.  Basically on W5D2 you jog 8 minutes, walk 5 minutes, jog 8 minutes.  Then on W5D3 you jog 20 minutes.  A big leap, but I set out with a positive attitude.  10 minutes in I had to stop.  Started getting shin splints so bad and I tried changing my stride, checking my body to make sure I wasn't tensing up anywhere, etc.  But nothing I did seemed to relieve them short of taking a short walking break.  So, my question is...should I move on to the next training day, or keep trying W5D3 until I can successfully jog the 20 minutes without stopping?

• klmtiger Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 17, 2012
    1. May 20, 2013 3:07 PM (in response to LoriRadford)

I found that the 20 minute straight run was a huge mental/psychological barrier, and once I passed it, I felt so much better about my progress. I'd highly recommend repeating week 5, even if it's just day 3, to pass that hurdle.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,273 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. May 20, 2013 8:25 PM (in response to LoriRadford)

I'm going to recommend a couple things that might help. One is to run a little slower.  When I had shin splints, they always happened when I was pushing the pace, such as on a fast training run or in a race. So knocking 15 to 30 seconds per mile off your pace may help.  The other thing is to avoid changes to your stride, except possibly to shorten your stride if necessary to avoid overstriding.

Len

• JustGlori Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 16, 2013
    3. May 21, 2013 3:42 AM (in response to LoriRadford)

Are you sufficiently stretching before you run?

C25k Graduate - 5/25/13

• darcytarr3078 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 6, 2013
    5. May 24, 2013 9:34 AM (in response to LoriRadford)

I would suggest repeating the W5D3. It is such a confidence booster to complete it. I definately agree with the previous comment to go slower. That is how I got through it. Good Luck!

• Michelle72683 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 25, 2011
    6. May 29, 2013 5:54 AM (in response to LoriRadford)

I did my "own" version of C25K by walking X blocks & running X blocks of set routes. I'd finally gotten to a total route of 3.25 miles & couldn't break my progress level of how many blocks I was running, be it shin splints or running out of air ... it was always something! I talked to a friend from sand volleyball with who does many races & he suggested, as above, to slow down as slow as I can possibly go & just jog ... see how far I could go. With running 3 days a week, I jumped in leaps & bounds & was jogging (albeit VERY slowly) the entire 5K distance within 3 weeks! (I'd been stuck at about 10 "small-town" blocks ... maybe 1/2 mile or so?) Now I'm working on upping my speed.

• alancz Amateur 21 posts since
    Aug 12, 2008
    7. May 30, 2013 6:51 PM (in response to LoriRadford)

I am running the same program probaly one week behind you, I am doing W5D3 tomorrow morning, and like you am approaching with a positive attitude and am actually excited to complete it.  W5D2 was a little hard, but not too bad, got through that fairly well.  One thing in your thread that stuck out to me was the fact that you said you do not stretch.  I am not sure if that is THE answer, but it certainly makes a huge difference for me.  Check out the stretches on the C25K home page.  Good Luck!  Don't stop!

• alancz Amateur 21 posts since
    Aug 12, 2008
    8. May 30, 2013 7:14 PM (in response to alancz)

from the home page go to learn more, then read down to last paragraph see hyper link "stay loose"  try that.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points