Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2112527 Views 11,397 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 ... 721 722 723 724 725 ... 760 Previous Next
  • SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,830. May 9, 2013 9:39 PM (in response to BigPreacher)
    200+ Pound Club!

Love that saying BigPreacher!  would you mind me sharing that on my blog?

Well I was chosen for the Fatty Must Run Marathon Challenge!  Fifteen fabulous women from across the world will train to run a marathon in a year.  I am excited and nervous, all at once. 

As of today, I can run/walk 2 miles in 35 minutes.  so for now focusing on 5K by June then will move on to the level.

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

Sep 2, 2009
    10,831. May 15, 2013 6:51 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

Big Preacher..your words about I want were brewing inside of me.  I shared my "I Want" on my blog.  I hope you don't mind.

Restarted 04/01/2013

• CoachF__4 Rookie 4 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    10,832. May 15, 2013 8:28 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

Brand new to the forum. I am 38 and 253 pounds. I've been running consistently since 1/1/13. I got down to 233 in mid March but let the diet go and kept running. I was in a weight loss contest and the last 10/12 pounds I lost was all water weight pushing for the win (which I got!). I now can run 10 miles at a 8:45 pace and I'm very happy with my cardiovascular endurance right now. I signed up for a trail half marathon in late June with the goal to run a whole marathon by this time next year.

Trail running has re-energized me to run. It is a lot harder and you have to let go of worrying about your pace, which is very hard for me. I am a slave to mapmyrun.com . I have to track everything.

I'm looking forward to participating in the discussion and support.

• YoStevo Rookie 1 posts since
    May 9, 2013
    10,833. May 15, 2013 5:08 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey there everyone. I Started working out in the middle of Febuary. I weighed in then at 253 pounds. I am5'11' and 41 years old. My weight has slowly crept up for the past 10-15 years and I was in denial as to how bad it was. Since then I am down to 202 pounds and have started running. My first 5k was 3 weeks ago on a hilly course. My goal was to be under 35 minutes. I finished in 30:45. 1 week later I ran a 29:06 on a flat course.  On monday I ran 6 miles in an hour on the treadmill at the gym. I am trying to reach my goal weight of 190 pounds. I look forward to competing in  a Warrior Dash in August and a Spartan Sprint in Sept. I also want to run some longer races before the summer is over but I haven't figured out which ones yet. When i run I am sore for days and this keeps me from running as much as I feel I need to. I am enjoying my new lifestyle and look forward continueing this journey. I have suportive people around me but I work out alone and do not have a running partner. I think it would be easier if I had someone to run with on a regular basis. I am new to this forum.

"

• Snowman63 Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 10, 2012
    10,834. May 16, 2013 8:21 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Hi everyone. I just wanted to share my and my wife's experience as a new runners. 2 years ago I was 260+ lbs and a very tight size 38 pants. I decided I need to change my life around at 47. There have been bumps in the road, I fell and broke my arm requiring surgery to pin the bone back together. While recovering from this injury I used to do the ellyptical at the health club and started to walk on the treadmill. Last year in January 2012 I started to run on the treadmill. Very short distances, more like walk 3 minutes and run 1. By mid February I was up to run 3 minutes and walking 1 for recovery. I was impressed with the results, I lost 30 lbs and felt much better. One of my colleagues at work gave me the idea to run outside and I started to do so and I've never looked back. My wife soon joined me in this. In April 2012 we ran our very first 5K. I made a lot of newbie errors, like running too fast at the beginning and had to walk but I finished with a respectable 30:17 and my wife who was really struggling finished with a 48+ minute run/walk. Needless to say we continued training and improved our paces and distances. It never was easy and we keep pushing ourselves when it starts to get too easy. This past February I ran my first half marathon under 2 hours. We ran the same race this year and I finished with 26:06, not bad but my wife really killed it she finished the 5K in 32:03 a full 16+ minutes faster than last year. I'm still just over 200 lbs but I have lost a lot of fat and so has my wife, i'm now wearing size 30 waist and it's getting loose. We run 3 times a week and workout at the gym on weights 3 times on alternate days. We don't always feel like it but we do it, knowing that afterwards we'd regret not doing it. I'm always getting compliments at the gym from other members who only see me once in a while due to conflicting schedules. My wife is getting compliments at work from her male and female colleagues. I'm now 50 and in the best shape of my life, my wife is 54 and looks 30. We have a beautiful 18 month old granddaughter and are looking forward to playing and running with her as she grows up. It has taken me nearly 2 years to get where I'm today. Last weekend I had a new PR on the 5K of 24:48, that doesn't even come close to others finishing in 20 minutes or so but I'm not trying to compete with them. My wife PRed with a 31:35. As you can read we aren't the fastest runners out there but we never stop trying. My word of advice to everyone struggling out there: STAY WITH IT the results won't come as fast as you wish but the fight is worth it. My second piece of advice is a bit hard to understand as a new runner but remember it every day as you pound that trail or road or treadmill: The goal is not to beat all the runners out there, it is to defeat the little voice in your head saying you can't do this. A trainer friend of mine has this a his favorite motto: You can and you will. He even had shirts made up for all his clients with the saying. This September my wife and I treated ourselves to a nice vacation, we are going to southern France to run a marathon. I know we can both finish. The goal we all share is fitness and if I can say one more thing, forgot the "goal weight", I had a goal weight of 190 lbs too, never reached it my body seems to want to stay around 205 and it doesn't matter I'm happy with myself. I wish that for everyone of you as well.

May 25, 2007
    10,835. May 19, 2013 8:42 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Ran 9.6 miles today. I'm having trouble with pace. I seem to run the same pace no matter how far I run. I have 33 days until my 1/2 marathon and I need to extend my runs to 11-12 miles. Hope everyone is getting out there and enjoying the spring on the road or trails.

• Jemazei Rookie 1 posts since
    May 19, 2013
    10,836. May 19, 2013 9:48 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey Everyone! I'm a 21 yr old female, I weigh about 240lb and i'm about 5'6. I really want to lose weight, and I figured whats a better activity to get into then running. I don't really have any supporters because i've tried the weight loss thing many of times.  Does anyone have any suggestions!? like how to tackle this. I know the first couple weeks will be hard but if I keep up with it i'll learn to adapt. I'd like to lose 100lb! How many months does that usually take someone of my size, does anyone know? Goodluck to everyone on this site!!

May 25, 2007
    10,837. May 20, 2013 3:00 AM (in response to Jemazei)
    200+ Pound Club!

To the question of how long it would take to lose 100 lbs: Think about how long it took to get where you are, the change is a long process. I lost 50 pounds in 3 months but I made diet and exercise my life for those 3 months. I don't believe that is a good long term plan. You need to enjoy life and not obsess over weight. I just needed a change and committed for 3 months. Now I run all the time but enjoy some food and lazy time every once in a while. I'm down 62 lbs from 1/1/11.

The running part is a little easier. Start out with walk/run. Your body is going to hurt!!!!! When I started at 280 lbs my feet hurt like crazy for the 1st 3 weeks. Eventually your walking will get shorter and the running will get longer. Find routs that give you a little scenery. I am lucky enough to live near a trail system that runs next the the Chesapeake Bay and through the woods. I'll run on the road but it can be a little boring. Sign up for a 5k. Don't be intimidated about the race. There are always plenty of walkers in 5ks and your only racing yourself. I have found committing to a race gets me off my *** to train.

• OwlyCleen Rookie 1 posts since
    May 20, 2013
    10,838. May 20, 2013 12:52 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi guys. I am new to running, and at 5'6, 260 lbs at 29 yrs, I want to start doing so.

Reading everything on here has been super motivating, so I am hoping you guys can help put some of my concerns to rest. When I was in highschool, I was alot more fit, and kinda abused my body; I have broken both ankles, and have damaged both knees, and most recently, I broke the top bones in one of my feet(just about 18 mo ago). I know that if I am careful, that I can run despite my history of gimp. I was wondering what suggestions you guys might have for warm ups, stretches, or anything that will help to keep me active, and avoid injury? I know being overweight adds more stress to my knees and ankles, but i think that running will help me with my weight as well, and in the long run pay off. Thoughts?

Sep 2, 2009
    10,839. May 21, 2013 6:22 PM (in response to OwlyCleen)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi Owly and welcome!

Stretching is so important as well as good form.  I learned the hardway.  Ironically, I went to a running clinic this past weekend and wrote a blog post on proper form.  I also have links to other websites that talk about form.

Make sure you get fitted for proper shoes...they make all the difference in the world.  I also wrote a blog post in March about some stretches that my doctor gave me to help with my plantar fasciitis and to prevent it in the future.  Here is the link:  Out for Repair

And the most important thing I can think of ....go slow.  Every run in the beginning is a long run to a new runner.  So take them at a slow pace.  If you find yourself winded then you are going too fast. 

I am also doing the 30 day squat challenge.  The stronger your muscles, the less strain on your knees and ankles. 

Restarted 04/01/2013

Sep 2, 2009
    10,840. May 21, 2013 6:27 PM (in response to Jemazei)
    200+ Pound Club!

Jemazei I don't know if you have heard of Couch to 5K but it is a wonderful program to get a person running. It is about 8-9 weeks long, depending on where you obtain the training schedule. But it does work.

Oh and  you will always have supporters if you come here.  I also follow the heavyweight runner. I met her in 2009 at a WW board. She was just starting to do 10Ks and thinking about doing a marathon. Well two weeks ago she completed a 1/2 IronMan..you can find her on facebook. She has tons of information and inspiration.

Restarted 04/01/2013

Sep 2, 2009
    10,841. May 21, 2013 6:33 PM (in response to CoachF__4)
    200+ Pound Club!

Welcome Coach and Stevo.. Stevo you sound like you are ready to join a running group..you have a great pace and probably wouldn't start out in the beginners group.  have you checked to see if there is a local running group in your area?  Is there a running store around? They may have information on some groups.  Or look at meetup.com  they may have some listed.

Coach...I trail run and love it.  I am signed up for my first 1/2 in September (a very hot month in Texas) and it is over a bridge 4X. So I have to find a flat one to run before then.  did you use a training plan and if so , do you mind sharing it?

Restarted 04/01/2013

• bigj357 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 1, 2012
    10,842. May 22, 2013 9:48 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello,

I wanted jump on here to hopefully give some inspiration to anyone who is willing to listen. I started my journey/transformation in January 2011 at 310+ pounds and my "skinny" jeans were size 44. I decided enough was enough, I was 32 years old with 2year old little boy I couldnt play with because 1. I had no energy 2. Was lazy 3. Figured since I had failed for so many years that I was just suppose to be a big guy. I tried running in January and didnt do so well. Treadmills are boring to me so I prefered to be outside but knew that my body coudlnt handle running at the weight I was at. I made a choice to change my diet and do what I could for exercise and running. I noticed weight started to fall off, so I made even bigger changes in my diet and still did what I could for exercise and running. As far as changing the way we eat, we know whats good and whats not. After about 11 months of this and increasing exercise and running along the way for the first time in my life I bought a pair of pants with a waist size smaller than the length. I went from 310+ pounds to a lean 175 pound and find myself planning on going for 3-4 mile run and end up running 10-12. If I can give any advise dont worry about the weight more so how you feel. Set a goal no matter what it may be (start small and work your way up). Dont give up and dont worry if you have to walk a little or alot. Persistance is the key along with determination. Its truly amazing what our bodies can do that our minds tell us we cant. As of today I am about 185 pounds and feel better than I ever have. I compete in events that I never in a million years thought I could. And am persuing my CPT license to hopefully be able to help even one person better their life. Stay fit my friends and "just keep running"

• AZRacer96 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 22, 2013
    10,843. May 22, 2013 11:05 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking on this thread for a while, and I just want to post a note of encouragement to anyone reading.

When my daughter was born, I was dangerously close to 300 lbs. I also had high blood pressure, constant heartburn, and I couldn't run a single lap. I was 31 years old.

I decided to make some sweeping changes in my life. I'm now 35, and by the grace of God, I've lost almost 90 lbs. All my other issues have disappeared, and literally years have been added to my natural life.

I did my first half marathon last November, and finished Tough Mudder in Phoenix in February.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something that you've set your mind to.

"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." - Romans 8:28

Attachments:
  • pitsmom Rookie 1 posts since
    May 22, 2013
    10,844. May 23, 2013 5:44 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello Everyone,

I've been reading all of these posts and they are just so inspiring!  I tried starting the C25K a while ago.  After the first 2 days my knees hurt so bad I could barely walk.  So I had to stop and never started back up again.  Now this was on a treadmill-not outdoors.  Maybe there is a difference?   I keep thinking maybe I'm just too big to start running. I'm a 5'4 193 pound woman.  I really want to start this program and continue to grow.  Did anybody else struggle with sore knees at the beginning?  Is there special strectching I should be doing?  BTW, I live in Orange County, CA.   Anyone else from this area?  Would be great to find a workout buddy.

I look forward to getting to know everyone.  This is the best forum I have seen an a long time.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...