Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2769 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2013 11:47 PM by hidrate
Tom Weissgerber Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 11, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 20, 2009 10:53 AM

Slow Water Absorption

I ride a road bike in the Sacramento area and especially when the temperatures goes over 100 it seems that my metabolism can not absorb water quick enough. I get a bloated feeling but I also feel dehydrated?  My rides can be as long as 6-7 hours so keeping hydrated is very important.    Typically I drink cyto-max at a rate of about 1 bottle every half hour (10miles)or as much as I feel I can absorb.   When my workout is over, I drink lots of water for several hours, so I kind-of know I am dehydrated.     Is their a way to improve my bodies ability to absorb water?

• TheWaterQueen Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 3, 2009
    1. Aug 3, 2009 9:15 AM (in response to Tom Weissgerber)
    Re: Slow Water Absorption

Hey Tom,

This is more common than you might think-studies now show that dehydration affects almost all of the population. Due to our toxic environment and lifestyles, we can no longer able process and absorb enough water to stay optimally hydrated.

What is scientifically sound and proven by Nobel Science is that cells can only hydrate via single water molecules - but water (no matter the source) is no longer in that state. Water molecules are attracted to one another and are clustered together. A new product has been developed around this discovery and is clinically proven to increase water absorption by 466%, resulting in raised and sustained levels of hydration (30%), oxygenation (10.25%), and detoxification. The product comes with a 45 day guarantee so you have more than enough time to see the improvement before being totally committed. I highly recommend it to all of my clients!

See my site for more info and let me know if you have any questions,

Amy

aka "The Water Queen"

www.PlanetHydration.com

• Optimal Nutrition Inc. Amateur 30 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    2. Aug 16, 2009 11:24 PM (in response to Tom Weissgerber)

In a word . . . electrolytes!  What type of Cytomax do you use - the ready-to-drink or the powder?  It's very possible either way that you are not getting enough sodium - do you every take electrolyte tabs with you (such as Salt Stick or Thermalytes)?  Sodium helps with water retention.

And I know it's tough to do on long rides, but the colder you can keep the water, the better - cold fluids leave the stomach faster than warm fluids (gastric emptying, or how fast something leaves the stomach, is directly related to absorption since we absorb fluids in the small and large intestine).

Protein (or lack thereof) may also be an issue.  Cytomax contains carbohydrate, which is essential during endurance exercise), but if you are riding for 3+ hours, you would likely benefit from a little protein as well (either in a sports drink or from food such as energy bars).  Protein can also increase water retention (it's a slight effect, but slight effects are important when we're nearing dehydration).  After hour 3, or so, 5-10 grams of protein per hour (along with 30-60 grams of carbohydrate) should be enough.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Justin

www.optimalnutritioninc.com

Justin Robinson, MA,RD,CSSD,CSCS
    Consultant - Optimal Nutrition

• MotiveForcer Community Moderator 448 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Aug 16, 2009 11:37 PM (in response to Tom Weissgerber)

HI,

Two very good responses so far.  Hydrate early and often and use the right balance of electrolytes and carbs/proteins and that should help. You are already trying to hydrate while riding.  While I don't do this myself, using a back pack hydration system also reportedly helps. The reason is that if you have that tube at your mouth there is a tendency to take more frequent sips instead of less frequent gulps.  This aids in enhancing water absorption.  Also, make sure you don't use an overly concentrated electrolyte mix as an osmotic gradiant, a la drinking salt water, might pull water out of your blood stream.  Keep experimenting and learning. I hope others jump into this thread and tell us what works best for them, especially on longer hotter rides.

EJ Levy

• Optimal Nutrition Inc. Amateur 30 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    4. Aug 21, 2009 9:30 PM (in response to MotiveForcer)

Good point with the backpack system - if you have a tri bike, Profile Designs makes an aero bar system that has a straw sticking up.

As for osmoality - keep it below 300.  There aren't too many companies that list it on the label, but if you follow the above recs regarding carbs, protein, and electrolytes you should be okay.  Cytomax might have only 1/2 the sodium you need - for heavy sweaters and/or hot+humid conditions, I recommend about a 2:1 sodium:carbohydrate ratio per hour.  Ex:  300 mg sodium with 150 kcal (~40g carbohydrate).  Start with that and tweak as necessary.

You may want to check out Infinit Nutrition - www.infinitnutrition.us (they customize sports drinks).

Justin

Justin Robinson, MA,RD,CSSD,CSCS
    Consultant - Optimal Nutrition

• hidrate Rookie 5 posts since
    May 23, 2013
    5. May 23, 2013 11:47 PM (in response to Tom Weissgerber)
    Slow Water Absorption

We are working on a biosensor that will help you track your hydration levels and impact to your body.  It will also tell you how much you need to drink in real-time. It will not only determine how much but what to drink - electrolytes (or deeper like primarily sodium and potassium), carbohydrates,and water to maximise your performance and recovery.

Anyone interested in learning more, here is the site: http://hi-drate.me.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...