Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

590 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2013 4:08 AM by JustGlori RSS
Bratkay Amateur 17 posts since
Jun 16, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 14, 2013 8:57 AM

Any runners out there that follow the Atkins principle of nutrition?

Was concerned about goo?  How many carbs and if there was something else to replace it?

• KaelynsMama Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012

I try to watch my carbs and not eat a bunch of junk food like ice cream and chips but low carb options really won't replace something like goo because it is pretty much pure carbs. I hear bananas and raisins are nearly as good as goo but definitely not low carb. =)

• Hawkwind Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 8, 2012

Carbs are critical for any running....esspecially long distance runners. I can't imagine trying to run more than 6 miles without carbs. Try (as KaelynsMana mentioned) bananas, which are also a great source of potassium.

• JustGlori Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 16, 2013

When I first started C25k, I was following Atkins. I also did the program 6 days a week instead of 3. By week 3 I was noticing that I was tired all the time. Week 4, I was napping 3-4 hours a day (after my runs) on top of 8-10 hours of sleep at night. Even with all that sleeping, I was still exhausted all the time. Soon, I was suffering from fatigue. A friend of mine told me that low carb diets are for people who don't exercise and that I needed to add complex carbs to my diet.. best piece of advice ever. I started eating brown rice, wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, etc, I'm still losing weight, but I'm no longer fatigued.

C25k Graduate - 5/25/13

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points