Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2079844 Views 11,391 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2014 7:25 AM by shipo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 722 723 724 725 726 ... 760 Previous Next
  • CoachF__4 Rookie 4 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,845. May 23, 2013 7:01 PM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

I don't use any structured running plan. I just sort of started running and tried to beat my pace or distance each time I ran. I have trouble slowing down and running for enjoyment. I always try to "win" even if I'm only in a race with myself. Everything I read tells me what I'm doing is the "wrong way" but it seems to work for me.

• biggleck Rookie 1 posts since
    May 24, 2013
    10,846. May 25, 2013 1:23 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello;

I have just started this program just finished W1 and thinking of doing W1 over again just because I am so sore lol. anyway I am 41 and tip the scales at 295 or so, I have always loved lifting weights and hated the running thing, which I think comes from being in the military where they don't give you the choice of whether to run or not. Anyway I just wanted to say hi to everyone, and it feels good to know that there are so many other "big" people out there sweating with me!!

• ffmedicmt Amateur 23 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    10,847. May 25, 2013 9:26 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Just got done with a new PR!!!  woot woot!  Ran the Mackinac Bridge 5.25 miles in 50:31 and a pace of 9:39 M/M  Im so stoked I had to stop by and post. Weight still at #245 but I'm not giving up!!

Started running July 1st 2011

Weight #306

Height 6'0"

First 5k Sept 3rd 2011 time 34:39

Second 5k Oct 1st 2011 time 30:11

Oct 8th 2011 Mackinaw Bridge 5.6 miles time 56:42

Third 5k 11/24/11 Dork Brothers Turkey Trot 5k Alpena, MI time 27:40

Fourth 5k March 17th 2012 Dork Brothers St Paddy day 5k Alpena, MI 30:25

Ffifth 5k April 28th 2012 Autisim speaks run/walk Rogers City,MI 27:40

First Half Marathon, May 26th 2012 Bayshore Marathon Traverse City MI. 2 hrs 22 Mins

Current Weight 225#

Shooting for Half Marathon in May 2012 *********** I did it !!!!!

June 9th 2012 Mackinac Island Lilac fest 10k 1:04:02

July 4th 2012 Dork Brothers run 5k 29:45

Aug 4th 2012 Nautical fest Rogers city 6k 44:44 with a 12:05 pace with daughter Melissa as her eyes

Aug 25th 2012 Crim race flint 10 mi 02:04:57

Current Weight 240#

Sept 1 2012 Aliferis 5k Alpena 36:13 with daughter Melissa (who is blind)

Sept 3rd 2012 Govenors Mackinac Bridge run 4.33 miles 44:16 with a 10:13 pace, with daughter Amanda...we rocked it!

oct-dec 2012....no running ...weight Jan 1 2013 275# started running again!!

March 16 2013 Dork brothers Run with the leprechauans 5k Alpena 33:02 pace 10:18 weight 255#

May 1 2013 Current Weight #245......Boo!!! got get going on it!!!

May 18 2013 Rogers City Autisim 5k....36:30 with Melissa and Amanda

May 25 2013 Mackinac bridge 5.25 mile 50:39 with a 9:39 pace NEW PR !!!!! Weight still 245#

• antwturn Rookie 1 posts since
    May 25, 2013
    10,848. May 25, 2013 8:37 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Well new here.  Weighing in at 265 pounds.  Currently finished the third week of a 10k app on my iPhone ran a little over 5 and a half miles over three days this week.  Went to new balance this week and got fitted for the proper shoe I needed.  Running with the new balance 990's.  looking forward to what the next couple weeks hold.  I'll be around the message boards feel free to give any advice I'm sure I'll need it!

• hawkchick1 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 25, 2013
    10,849. May 25, 2013 9:34 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Greeting All!!  So I just found this thread and am loving all the stories and posts about your progress and just wanted to add my story (if thats alright! ).  On Jan 1 of 2012, I asked my family if they thought I would ever be able to run a half marathon.  That question was met with a bunch of laughs and a few "you can't be serious?!?"  I was at my all time heaviest at almost 300lbs.  I decided I was tired of being tired all the time and just kinda grossed out by what I saw (I didnt like the jiggle!). 

As motivation I went ahead and signed up for a half marathon.  Training was slow to say the least.  But I did it!  In May of 2012 I ran my first half and finished in 3hrs 45 min.  SLow but I did it.  and I kept up with running.  In May of 2013 I ran my 2 half marathon and finished in 3 hrs 16 min.  I went from running 16 min miles and walking a lot to being able to run consistantly 12:30 min miles for about 10 miles before I start to tire out.  I have 3 more half marathons for this summer and have so far lost 70 lbs.  I went from a 22/24 pant size to a 16 (and am about to go to a 14!). 

Keep up the great work, everyone! 

• FreeInFlorida Rookie 1 posts since
    May 27, 2013
    10,851. May 27, 2013 5:53 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Hi, everyone -

I have been enjoying this thread as a lurker for the past six weeks or so as I contemplated doing the C25K for myself. Now I'm at W3D1 and doing pretty good, which is surprising since I haven't run regularly in 40 years.

About me: I'm retired, male, 56 and in great health -- not on any Rx or other meds in my life, great blood stats, regular blood donor, play competitive Pickleball six days a week and have medaled at the local, county and State levels for the past five years. I am 6' 4" and always had a large build, but weighed 184-lbs in 2011 when I decided to lose some weight as I turned 55.

Starting the day after Thanksgiving that year, I lost 60-lbs in six months on the Take Shape for Life program, and I switched to a vegetarian diet half-way through the weight loss plan. I've kept vegetarian since March of 2012 without any trouble, even making it through three cruises and several other long vacation trips with no problems finding plenty of delicious, fresh things to eat and -- best of all -- without gaining a pound. I'm holding my weight easily at 226-230, look and feel great, and get a lot of compliments on my new slimmer look from all our friends and neighbors who can't help but notice the change.

Now I'm back to a size 38 waist, feel better than ever, stopped sweating all the time, and my blood cholesterol went from an already-excellent 168-170 to about 130-135 now.

I started the C25K plan earlier this month after returning from a vacation in Cancun, where I took the time to read up on the plan and get my mind ready for the challenge. My goal is to run in a non-competitive 5k here in my neighborhood in September. Don't know if I'll make it, but so far all is well and I have no aches or soreness after the first two weeks of the plan.

The only thing slightly unusal about my situation is where we live: inside a large nudist resort in Central Florida. So, as we do everything else here nude when weather permits, I am doing all my C25K training nude as well, except for the necessary athletic shoes, socks and a hat. We have lots of joggers, walkers and bikers around the resort all the time, so I'm glad to finally be among them enjoying the benefits of exercise, fresh air and sunshine in the most natural way possible.

Cheers,

Mike

---

Retired & living the dream in a tropical garden paradise in Central Florida

I'm into: Apple, VWs, Freethought, juggling, vegetarianism, social nudism, travel

• timothyodell Rookie 1 posts since
    May 28, 2013
    10,853. May 28, 2013 9:38 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I just signed up for this site because I read your story on the first page. No pressure or anything but get back at it.

• SteveR213 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 28, 2013
    10,855. May 29, 2013 2:05 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I second that.  I read the first post and immediately joined up.  I recently started up, and even after a couple weeks, I'm noticing a huge difference.  Lean meats, fruits and veggies.  Already down over 13lbs.  I'm starting to see the bigger picture, and can see myself doing this for quite some time.  I started at 323lbs in a 5'9 frame, and now I'm down to 290.  My personal goal is down to 180.  Seeing the success everyone here has is truly inspiring. 

• grammysboy Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 24, 2013
    10,856. May 29, 2013 6:41 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Just found this thread this morning.  I started "trotting" on my treadmill last December (2012), then ran my first 5k in March (2013).  I was at 260 when I started walking trying to lose some weight.  I have dropped to around 230.  I've completed 4 5ks so far and finished first in my age group (50+) in two of them.  Turns out there aren't a lot of us who START running after 50!

I'm hoping to get to a point where I can do a 10k later this year.  I would really love to get my weight under 200, but the losing has slowed to almost a stand-still.  I'm going to go back through this thread and read some more of your stories.  Thanks for the opportunity to find other "big guys" who are in to running (or in my case, "trotting.")

• cjs2013 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 28, 2013
    10,857. May 29, 2013 7:22 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello all,

Cjs2013 is me Cj and this is my first time actually posting anything. I confess to lurking and reading and to being inspired by those who've posted their successes and setbacks. I've watched runners in my neighborhood and supposed them, women and men alike, to be athletes set apart where I wouldn't be able to go. Well, I've changed my mind about them and can thank Wideguy and this group for the paradigm shift. I CAN DO THIS (shouting in order to awaken my sleeping motivation)!!! Here are my vital statistics which really is, for me, facing the music: I turned 59 on the 11th of this month; 5'3" at 209 pounds (just stepped off the scale) YIKES. As of my last physical, December 2012, my doctor says I'm pretty healthy for my age (I hate when she's goes there) except for my weight. I'm on medication for high blood pressure and acid reflux. I'm done with being out of breath, overweight, and way out of shape. It is time to get healthy and it is better late than never. So, here goes.

Let me say, "I hate exercise." I'm am determined to feel healthy again; but, with running I'm not sure where to start. I've investigated the C2/5K and think that might work for me. I found a sporting goods store with a runner/swimmer on staff who helped me find running shoes and socks. I traded with a neighbor for a treadmill. My bottle of really good scotch for his machine that makes me exercise.... Go figure that one. I even have a running partner who's available on my schedule. I still have to find a sports bra (this part is really serious) so if there are any women with experience or men who know women runners who've dealt with the problem (yes, problem) of keeping one's girls in place while vigorously exercising, I would be grateful for your help. I found that after my first Zumba class, despite wearing a sports bra, the muscles in my chest really hurt and it wasn't from the exercise. Any suggestions for brands or what to look for would be helpful. I hope to eliminate what would be my standard excuses for quitting running (exercise) before I get started.

Thanks in advance for the advice, encouragement, and accountability.

Peace,

Cj

Cj

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...