Skip navigation

17715 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2013 6:22 PM by mikeKunnecke RSS
lksnicholson Rookie 1 posts since
Nov 29, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 11, 2011 8:51 AM

mtn bike stem length adjustment

Hi.  I'm looking for any tips on adjusting mountain bike stem length.  I love my full-suspension trek women's specific mountain bike almost all the time - except when climbing steep pitches, then I have a hard time keeping my front wheel down on the ground, even while sitting as far forward on teh nose of the saddle as possible.   Never had this problem with my old hard-tail (which also had climbing bars).  I've lowered the handlebar, which helped some, but I think I might need a longer stem.  Does that sound right?  If so, any tips on how to know what size stemwould be better?  Thanks!

• betty80906 Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 23, 2006
    1. May 26, 2011 9:37 PM (in response to lksnicholson)
    Re: mtn bike stem length adjustment

I had the same problem diagnosed by a riding instructor.   The solution was to go to a bike store and have them replace the stem; it cost around $60.  Well worth it as I felt much safer on the bike.  Hope this helps.

• Richard Linda White Rookie 5 posts since
    Oct 20, 2010
    2. May 30, 2011 7:40 AM (in response to lksnicholson)

have you considered adding bar ends?  that would let you get your hands and some weight out in front of the handlebars and keep the front wheel down in those situations.  a longer stem would put your hands higher which would seem to make your problem worse.  A stem that extends further horizontally would help, but would mean you are leaning forward all the time.  The bar ends would give you the ability to be in the position you are comfortable riding in, then utilize them when you need to be more forward.

• ShaunBerger Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 6, 2011
    3. Jul 9, 2011 2:14 PM (in response to lksnicholson)

Another cool option is to get an "on the fly" adjustable drop seat post, like a Crank Brothers Joplin R Drop seat post.     You can easily install it on your bike instead of a regular seat post.  You then adjust your seat post length, depending on if you are climbing or descending, without ever getting off your bike.  You just pull on the lever while riding.  Combine that with climbing bars and you'd be set.

• BSheidler Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 23, 2011
    4. Dec 28, 2011 10:27 AM (in response to lksnicholson)

Bar ends (assuming you do not already have them) might help, as might moving the saddle forward (you say you end up on the nose, which suggests the possibility that it is too far back) -- you still might need a longer stem, though.

• runrobbierun22 Rookie 7 posts since
    May 29, 2013
    5. May 29, 2013 7:47 AM (in response to lksnicholson)

A longer stem would help elongate your body across the bike, which would displace more weight to the front wheel on climbs but you could risk making the bike very uncomfortable for you on regular riding. I'd suggest making sure your rear suspension is locked out on your climbs before you buy a longer stem, only because I wouldn't want you to make such a permanent change to your bike just for climbs and risk making it really uncomfortable for all your other riding. Just a thought.

When you're ready, I'd suggest this bike stem: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/NYTSM05013/

• mikeKunnecke Rookie 1 posts since
    May 30, 2013
    6. May 31, 2013 6:22 PM (in response to lksnicholson)

For quick & cheap if you have a riser stem, try fliping it. It likly to look like a road stem at that point puting more weight on the front & making you more aero at the same time.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points