Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4003 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2013 10:41 AM by Hawkwind RSS
iamplainjayne Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 30, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

May 1, 2013 5:09 AM

Newbie runner - knee and ankle discomfort?

I'm a newbie "runner" (haha) - 5'7 and 180 lbs (ok...179.5)....Just had my second baby 6 months ago and have worked hard to lose 20 lbs since mid January....I completed week one of c25k last week (WOOHOO!!!!).  I am noticing that I am having some knee and ankle "discomfort" - it's definitely not pain.  Here's my question...since I have pretty much been inactive for...well, let's just say YEARS now (and clearly overweight) is this something that may get better as I become more fit?  Are there exercises I can do to strengthen muscles that will better support my knees while running???? I should also mention that I have a toddler and a 6 month old so the gym is OUT for a while....Thanks for any help!

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    1. May 1, 2013 5:53 AM (in response to iamplainjayne)

The discomfort is a red flag. If it is just soreness that would be the result of just using the muscles, bones, tendons, etc in a new way. All those parts have to get into shape and use to the act of running.

If it is pain, or develops into pain then you will have to stop and figure out what is causing the pain.

The body does not want to run. The body is perfectly content to stand still. Once you start putting the new stress of running into the equation then the body wants to rebel.

There are others here who could talk about exercises that may help.

I am of the simple opinion that the exercise that helps you to run is running. Core cross training may be helpful. But like I said, there are others who can answer this question.

• mckohtz Rookie 2 posts since
    May 2, 2013
    2. May 2, 2013 7:08 PM (in response to iamplainjayne)

I recommend you do a few weeks of just walking training/conditioning before running, to strengthen the muscles, tendons and joints before continuing with the C25K.

Depending on where you are at you could try to build up to 30 minute walks three times a week,

For example if you could do 15 mins of walking times three in week one and increase by 5 minutes each week until you reach 30minutes, then start the C25K.

Try not to do too much to begin with so as to avoid injuries and it is OK to repeat weeks until you feel more comfortable

Losing a little weight and becoming fitter will help with the discomfort in your knees and ankles

I hope this helps

Good luck!

• adamheimann Legend 523 posts since
    Apr 17, 2013
    3. May 3, 2013 10:25 AM (in response to iamplainjayne)

I agree with the others! I started out diving into the program too and was sore to start with. I back tracked a bit and just walked 3-4 days a week to get my body used to exercise after not doing much fo anything for so long. Now 2 weeks into the program the discomfort is not there at all. good luck!

• AlaskanAssassin55 Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 2, 2012
    4. May 8, 2013 9:46 AM (in response to iamplainjayne)

You don't mention how far/fast you are running, but if you have been relatively inactive for years, especially during your pregnancy, you may have started off by pushing your body too hard before it could adapt to exercise. Try doing some low-impact cardio, such as walking (perhaps even with a slight incline if you feel you need to do more) or even try some low-speed cycling.

Also, if you haven't already, invest in a good pair of running shoes. It could be that you are not using the right shoes for your running style--I've gotten knee discomfort simply because the shoes I was wearing weren't right for my stride. Your feet tend to roll one way or another when you run, so this may explain the ankle pain if you do not have the right shoes. Go to a running specialty store where they can analyze your feet and stride, and find the right shoe for you.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

• MarkEichenlaub Amateur 18 posts since
    Jun 17, 2012
    5. May 29, 2013 1:17 PM (in response to iamplainjayne)

Plain Jayne,

Congrats on making the decision to run.  I'd strongly encourage you start doing a a dynamic warmup to start ALL of your runs.  This wil engage all of your leg muscles to move you forward, balance you and absord shock.  I did a post on an ideal warmup here: http://teachtorun.com/2013/03/02/how-should-you-warm-up-for-before-you-run/

I'd also get a foam roller and start using it asap as well as icing anything that hurts after runs.

If you are in need of more specific advice I am doing free consultations for a limited time only.  More information below.

Blogging about motivation, injury prevention and training lessons I've learned at TeachtoRun.com and working on "The Ultimate 5k Plan" at HowtoRun5k.com.

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    6. Jun 3, 2013 5:42 PM (in response to iamplainjayne)

I do squats and lunges to strengthen my muscles on my legs. It takes pressure off my knees and ankles. core work is important also.

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• Hawkwind Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 8, 2012
    7. Jun 4, 2013 10:41 AM (in response to iamplainjayne)

Use the 10% rule -- meaning that you shouldn't increase your mileage more than 10% per week. This is a fairly proven method to mitigate injury's.

Some discomfort is to be expected when ramping up your training.....the trick is to listen to your body and pull back on mileage if you feel sharp pains.

Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points