Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4020 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2013 11:14 AM by carotello
Yourjones Rookie 3 posts since
Jun 15, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 21, 2010 10:03 PM

C25K Week 1 and shin splints already!  Will I ever be able to run?

Hi everyone!  I'm desperate to know if anyone else has gone through this.  Last summer I started the C25K and got shin splints right off the bat.  My excitement fizzled after not being able to keep moving forward with the program to reach my new goal.

Here I am again, ready to get in shape and I so desperately want to be a runner and I have shin splints again!!!  I thought the whole point of the C25K was a program for those of us who are out of shape.  So, here is a bit of my history... I am 40 years old, need to lose 40 pounds (good grief)!  I haven't exercised much for 15 years.  Just walking - not everyday - maybe once a week.  Sometimes months go by and I haven't walked. 

So, I need advice/encouragement.  Do you think I am just one of those people who aren't "built" to run?  What do you suggest I do?  I've read other threads about shin splints but I haven't read any with someone getting them in week 1. 

Thank you,

yourjones

wannaberunner

• chaunaci Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 2, 2010

YES - You can do it!  I am new to exercise and 100+ lbs overweight.  I got shin splints my 1st week, they even hurt when I did water aerobics.  Keep stretching.  Somewhere between week 2 or week 3, they started to subside.  Make sure you have good shoes, and talk to a trainer for stretches, etc. to avoid injury.

Best wishes!

chaunaci

• AladdinSane Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 29, 2009

Try slowing down. The C25K is not about speed, it's about endurance. If during your run, you can go slower, do so. Speed will come later when you're lighter and have more miles under your belt.

Finished C25K - 9/29/09

• chaunaci Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 2, 2010

I was running with a group, so I just forced myself to keep going.  I took Advil before my run, and after - lots of ice, and a frozen rolling pin rolled UP (not down) my calves helped.  Again, be careful and get advice from a professional, stay injury-free!

• TIPPET 7 Pro 64 posts since
    Mar 25, 2008

I used to have shin splints right off the bat as well.  My running store gave me the best advice to help.  A lot of people get shin splints due to their stride.  A longer stride will produce shin splints as well as landing on your heel.  Ask your running store about proper running form.  I had my store videotape my stride and found out a ton of info.  My heel was always landing first which puts stress on the shins. My feet were not always landing straight forward, which put more stress on the shins.  Their advice was to take very small strides and focus on landing on the entire foot rather than the heel.  It took me about 3 to 4 runs before I got used to it, but since then my shin splints have all but gone away.  I did buy new shoes as well. Google top 10 stretches for shin splints and do them faithfully for about 2 weeks and you will be surprised at the results.  I also put Bio-freeze on my calves and shins before each run and then immediately ice after stretching 20 minutes per shin.   Hope this helps.

• PJ Freeman Pro 115 posts since
    Feb 17, 2009

I had shin splints and I didn't even know it because they aren't painful when I run, only when they are pushed on.  My advice is to be careful and get assistance from a professional.  I overpronate which caused the shin splints which are apparently what caused the 2 stress fractures I got last year.  I have since gotten new shoes and had the inner soles adjusted for my feet.  Ice is supposed to be good for them.  There is a stick that you can purchase that you roll up and down your shin that's supposed to help.  Strenghtening your calf muscles helps prevent them.

2010 Coronado Independence Day 5K - 40:12

2010 AFC 5K - August 15 - 37:32

2010 End of Summer Fire Run 4mi- August 29 - 49:55

2010 Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Relay - October 2 - 57:12

2010 Shelter Island 5K - November 7 - 36:20 PR

2010 Silver Strand Half Marathon - November 14 - 3:14:05

2010 Las Vegas Rock & Roll Half Marathon - December 5 - 2:58:35

2010 Jingle Bell 5K for Arthritis - December 11 - 37:28

2011 Los Angeles Chinatown Firecracker 10K - February 13 - 1:25:46

2011 Lost Dutchman 10K - February 20 - 1:19:11

2011 Saint Patrick's Day 10K - March 12 - 1:13:48 PR

2011 Carlsbad 5000 - April 3 - 34:30 PR

2011 Rock & Roll San Diego HM - June 5 - 2:51:54 PR

2011 Coronado Independence Day 5K - July 4 - 35:34

2011 America's Finest City 5 K- August 21 - 34:40

UPCOMING

2011 Rock & Roll Los Angeles - October 30

2012 Disneyland Tinkerbell Half - January 29

• TIPPET 7 Pro 64 posts since
    Mar 25, 2008

I forgot to add about the "Stick"  what a lifesaver.  I use it right after I run and just rub it about 25 -30 times back and forth over each muscle area in legs and its amazing how much that helps.  It cost me $25 and was worth every penny.

• elev8torguy Amateur 24 posts since
    Jun 30, 2010

I just got over a nasty bout of Shin problems. I'm not an expert by any means, just another person who has the same symptoms so take this advice with a grain of salt. That being said, I iced every night while I tried to 'fight through' the pain to continue training.  I don't recommend it. Next, I went to http://jackrabbitsports.com/ and got my run analyzed and bought some new shoes. I was sidelined for about 2 weeks, and last night was my first run. I felt great, no more pain and nearly a day later I still feel pain free. Moral of the story? Take some time off, then when you think you feel better, take a couple more days off. In that time, buy some great shoes with the advice of a pro shop. They did the analysis for free. after a cpl weeks off, you'll feel fantastic and raring to go. Good luck!

• carotello Amateur 20 posts since
    Jun 3, 2013

Hi!

I had shin splints too when I tried running before! I am a heavy, out of shape, newbie, and it basically completely demoralized me into quitting.

Then a friend of mine who is a runner suggested I may have a) the wrong shoe for my kind of foot and stride, and b) poor technique.

I went with him to the running shoe store near my house and I had someone film my stride, and turns out I tend towards a natural foot strike, which is a good thing, but the kind of shoe I was wearing was impeding me from accomplishing it. I was fitted with a new shoe, and I started again, and I am now on week 3 with NO SHIN SPLINTS (though my calves are on fire).

Give this a try, and don't give up! I thought the shin splints were unavoidable but it turns out I was just wearing the wrong shoe.

Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...