Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1979 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2013 9:29 AM by Silverpoet RSS
dxwalker Rookie 3 posts since
Dec 24, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 5, 2013 5:37 PM

Newbie runners over 50

Hi all,

I turned 51 last year and just started running. I've done a Disney 5K and a Glo Run. I didn't do as well as I liked, but when you start running late in life...well...

Anyway, I'm on a journey to running a half marathon during Disney Princess Weekend Feb 2014. This is something I really want to do. Was just wondering if there were any others out there just starting to run after their 50th birthday. How are you doing?

http://grandmatohalfmarathon.wordpress.com

• justamaniac Pro 170 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. May 7, 2013 9:29 AM (in response to dxwalker)
    Newbie runners over 50

How weird - I just commented on another poster (laserjones16) who turned 53 and is starting to run....

I started running at 52.  I ran my first half marathon at 53 and at the time felt it was an impossible thing.  A marathon to me was like going to the moon - not going to happen.  But I did - I ran my first marathon (Chicago) at 54 and had an incredible experience (my goal was to cross the finish line vertical and preferably running - I wound up finishing right in the mid pack).

For me, running has been a great release.  I feel better, my cardio-health is substantially better, and I lost 20+ lbs that I didn't realize I had to loose.  I've met interesting people and I've learned a lot.

Good shoes, socks, and goals really make it work.

But be careful - I overdid it in my un-educated exuberance and wound up with various (temporary) injuries.  Listen to your body.  At least in my case, if it hurts, it's going to be a problem if I don't take care of it (i.e. I've learned to NOT run through the pain - it's hurting for a reason).

Have fun, train smart, and don't stop or get discouraged (it took me forever to run a continous mile without having to stop - but I did it).

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• petermantu Rookie 1 posts since
    May 12, 2013
    2. May 13, 2013 5:52 AM (in response to dxwalker)
    Newbie runners over 50

This is really good for you. I am still young but haven't started running yet; I envy your secret of being able to do it at that age. Keep it up. From Kayaking world at its best!

Peter Mantu

I'm all about kayaking and Empower Network

• calbrecht@hushail.com Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 25, 2012
    3. May 18, 2013 8:27 PM (in response to dxwalker)
    Newbie runners over 50

Way to hang in there....your personal determination is the most important thing!  I am 55 years old, 5'10" and got to 202 pounds in May 2012 and was disgusted with what I saw in photos and in the mirror.  Thus in May 2012, I started running from nothing.  I ran my first ever half marathon in Septmeber 2012 in the International Peace Half Marathon run in Georgetown, Washington, DC.  My weight did drop and I was down to180!  I ran the Baltimore Half Marathon in October 2012, followed by the Outer Banks Half Marathon in November 2012 and the Annapolis Half Marathon in December 2012.  WIth the colder weather and tons of holiday food I got back up to 188.  My knees were a bit sore so I modified my stride and gave 2 full weeks of pure rest.  I resumed running and ran the Snapple Half Marathon in Carderock, MD in January 2013, followed by the Love ROX (Richmond, VA) Half Marathon in February 2013 and then the Rock and Roll USA Half Marathon in Washington, DC in March 2012, followed by the Cambridge, MD Crab Run Half Marathon in April 2013 and most recently the Frederick, MD Running Festival Half Marathon in May 2013.  I am NOT setting speed records!  I am running best at 2:03 and worst at 2:30, but usually around 2:10.  I do NOT like running but I have found NOTHING as effective and easy on logistics as running for my health.  My doctor was exhuberat at my improved high blood pressure and high cholestreol, plus weight loss.  I pretty much eat anything including bread, but I am careful about how much I eat becasue my body gets full much faster, especially knowing the pain I will endure in my training runs for my next half marathon.  My weight is dropping even more as the hot weather comes.  By paying for my upcoming events in advance it forces me to keep up the training runs.  I have my 9 finisher's medals on display to help keep me motivated and it works.  My knees are fine although I do spray cold water on them after runs versus using ice and that works very well.  If a fat old slob like me can do all of that, so can you!  It is just a matter of comitment.... no gimmicks with diets, no special equipment to work out, just get out the door and run and force myself to run a half marathon each month.  I have women at work tell me how great I look too!  I tell my wife to forget the stupid special pay diets and simply EXERCISE but she ignores that.  Needless to say, her food diet alone is not nearly as effective as my exercise diet becasue we ALL like to cheat on tasty morsels.  If your knees hurt look at different shoes... look at icing the knees after running, look at modifying your stride.  I have 63 military parachute jumps on my knees and I am doing fine and I think your knees will improve too as the weight falls off.  Biking is better than sitting on the couch but only haf as effecgive as running.  Swimming requires a lot of logistics (drive there, change, pay, drive back, etc.).  Please stay motivated and committed!  You CAN do this!  You'll be super prooud of yourself when you do accomplish your goal and stay there!  Best wishes for success......  I am running hte 1/2 saur 1/2 kraut half marathon on June 15th.....forcing myself to stay in good fitness.  I hope to see you there even if I do not know you!  I am cheering for you!

DSC00199.JPG

International Peace Half Marathon run in Georgetown, Washington, DC in September 2012

Chuck

Go Terps!

• samfissure Rookie 1 posts since
    May 15, 2013
    4. May 20, 2013 8:24 AM (in response to calbrecht@hushail.com)
    Newbie runners over 50

I just turned 52 in April and am now in my 4th week or running- well, half-run half walk.  I'm 5'10" started at roughly 235 pounds, though I'm not focusing on aweight number.  Rather focusing on working my way first towards a 5K and then beyond.  I'm using Jeff Galloway's Easy 5K app where you do a warmup then run 1 minute, walk 1 minute.  When I started it was a bit tough just breathing but now it's much easier and the run/walk method is helping me work my way up to a full run.  If I had started out doing nothing but running, I would have given up by now, but the more I do this, the more I WASNT to do it.  My average distance right now is only 1.5 miles with my long run last week being 2 miles.  As my weight comes down I'm sure my knees will be happier .

• justamaniac Pro 170 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    Newbie runners over 50

I just came across your posted reply to dxwalker earlier this month - and happened to realize that you've run a HM every month since October/2012.  That is awesome! Congrats!

My question to you is: did you plan to do this, was this a particular goal?  Did you pre-schedule all of these events or did you start filling in your schedule once you got into the groove?

Again, congrats!

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• Domane1963 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 5, 2013
    6. Jun 6, 2013 6:35 AM (in response to dxwalker)
    Newbie runners over 50

Hiya, I'm 50 next Tuesday.  Never run in my life but in May I decided that I want to be fifty and fit, not fifty and fat.  OK I haven't left myself a lot of time, admittedly but I am signed up to do my first 5K in the middle of July and I am following the C25K programme and thoroughly enjoying it!  Week 4 just completed.  I also started eating healthily and so far I have lost 11lbs.  Another 28 to go before I'll be happy though!  Just thought I'd check in and join the "half century club"

• Silverpoet Rookie 1 posts since
    May 10, 2011
    7. Jun 26, 2013 9:29 AM (in response to dxwalker)
    Newbie runners over 50

I'll be 50 in August so decided that now is the time to take my fitness serious. I refuse to be a fat old woman! Surgery in May for renal cancer was the push I needed to take control of my health and my life. I started the Couch to 5k on Monday with the goal to enter my first 5k the end of Septemer. I've tried to couch to 5k several years ago but stalled out at week 4 due to major shin  splints and work overload. This time I'm determined to stick with it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...