Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

630 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2013 8:20 AM by Volcanogod
Volcanogod Amateur 11 posts since
Jun 7, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 7, 2013 10:38 AM

Top of Feet bruised, Marathon training

I am training for the Santa Rosa Marathon August 25th 2013.  After last Sunday's 20 mile run I noticed the top of my right foot was bruised.  I ran again on tuesday 6miles, wednesday 8miles, thursday 6miles.  I do not notice the pain when I run but right after the runs my right foot starts to throb.  My left foot has a small bruise on the top and my right foot's bruise is a little bigger and more painful.  After searching the Internet for answers I found only 1 solution given.  The 1 answer I found was my shoe laces are too tight.  That does not sound right at all.  Also suggested was to lace my shoe backwards.  I am going to try laceing up backwards but I am positive my shoes are not 'too tight'.  I wear sketchers go run  ( this is my second pair).  I am thinking that I may have wore this second pair out as they are on about 150 miles as of today.  I can stretch my foot out in a full range of motion and I don't feel the pain.  But I do fell it when I curl my big toes up but I think that is because the tendon or bone agitates the bruise.  Anyways, I am not going to stop running or training.  I have already overcome immense shin splint pain, lower back pain, and all the blisters that come with Marathon training.  NO damn bruise is going to stop me now so if anyone has any suggestions other than 'rest your foot for a couple weeks'  it would be greatly appreciated. 

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,410 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jun 7, 2013 11:14 AM (in response to Volcanogod)
    Re: Top of Feet bruised, Marathon training

Lacing too tight is always a possibility.  Keep in mind that your feet swell during the course of a run, so what isn't tight at the start of a run can be tight be the end.  Another lacing alternative is to skip the holes over that part of your foot (if possible).  It's also possible that a larger shoe size may help - may also help with the blisters.  BTW, 150 miles is not a lot.  I'm hard on shoes and usually get 350 miles from a pair.  The only other things I can think of are less desirable - a muscle/tendon/ligament tear or a stress fracture.

Len

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,410 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Jun 7, 2013 2:39 PM (in response to Volcanogod)
    Re: Top of Feet bruised, Marathon training

The chances of any of those happening on both feet at the same time is pretty slim.  It could be that the shoes just "rub you the wrong way" and it took the long runs to bring it out - or the double knotting.  If you were re-tying periodically during your run you may have been compensating for the swelling without realizing it.  A careful check of the fit of the shoes might give you some clues (make sure you're standing).  Also I don't know how you sized them but, when standing in your shoes there should be a thumb-nail width between the longest toe and the front of the shoe.  Most runners size up one-half to a full size from their street shoes

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points