Skip navigation

2141 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2013 1:57 AM by Ankitakumar
Speedypg Rookie 5 posts since
Aug 1, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 4, 2013 9:21 PM

What should i do to maximize my impact on the court?

I'm a 5'7" sophmore, 160lbs. I run an 11.94 100m. My ability to get up the court is unmatched among my teamates. The place i struggle is finding a definite role when i play the point. Sometimes i have the hot hand and become a scorer who provides a great boost. Other times im the distributor who gets the ball to the person with either the hot hand or who is in the best position to score. This usually isn't a problem but my team looks to me often to score, this is difficult as i can't just turn on instantly. It just happens when im in scoring mode. On the defensive end im the best perimeter defender we have as our previous best defender is graduating, im extremly active, i intercept passes and will even defend much bigger players in the post. I'm also a decent rebounder due to my speed and vertical. With my constant presence on the defensive end, i tire out at bad times. What are your suggestions on blancing my defense and offense as far as energy? Also how do you switch over from passer to scorer without disrupting the flow of your offense? Thanks in advance.

• EESBA Rookie 2 posts since
    May 6, 2013
    1. May 6, 2013 11:55 PM (in response to Speedypg)

Outwork everyone is all you can do. Continue to gain knowledge of the game as you develop your game.

• deezy23 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 1, 2013
    2. Jun 1, 2013 9:45 PM (in response to Speedypg)

Hey,

I would kind of suggest trying to figure out what you need to be for your team based on the situation. I play like a stretch 4 position and I have similar issues deciding when to post up or when to step out to the short corner or high post or even sometimes to the wing. My coach said a lot of high school players go through that, and if you try and figure out what you are going to do before you have the ball it will help you be more consistant. Like say, you have a really good scoring 2 guard in the backcourt with you, if he is on fire, or shooting well, be a distributor, let the offense flow. If he is struggling or the other main scoring option on your team (like a post player) is sturggling, keep feeding them the ball, but also try to create for yourself more as well. He said that OKC does that a lot with Westbrook and Durant, if one guy is hot, they just keep going until they cool off or the defense adjusts and leaves the other guy open.

• Coach Beez Legend 160 posts since
    Feb 4, 2010
    3. Jun 8, 2013 6:41 PM (in response to Speedypg)

I say your defense comes first, as that will have the biggest and most consistent impact on the outcome of any game. If you get tired, then rest on offense by going into distributor mode. If you are that fast and that athletic, most of your points should come in transition, when the other team misses, especially if it's a long rebound.

As a sophomore, you still have a lot to learn and experience to get under your belt. I think you know already when you should be aggressive as a scorer, or when to pull back on the reigns. No matter, when you are having one of your " moments " in a game where you don't know which to be, turn to your defense, and things will flow for you.

Good luck!

Coach Beez

Yo, what up fools?: It's me, " THE MAN " , Zac Ryan. Even though I'm a cartoon character, I can still ball chump! So if you like basketball, then come check me out and read all my comic strips at:

www.zaciswack.com

I'm out.

• Ankitakumar Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 17, 2013
    4. Jun 18, 2013 1:57 AM (in response to Speedypg)

Relax before the game. Take a walk. Dont over stress or pressurize yourself. Have a trained workout. Recently I found another app which is really useful to track my fitness activity. I use the Android app for motivade http://bit.ly/121gefn

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...