Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

466 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 8, 2013 7:55 PM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
Dec 12, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 2, 2013 12:47 PM

Snapping feeling on top of ankle bone

I've been experiencing a strange occasional snapping feeling on top of my left ankle bone...lateral side. It is happening several times per day. There is no noticeable swelling, but a bit of pain at times. I don't recall turning or spraining my ankle.  Is this something to worry about? I prefer to not see a doctor as it would be an out of pocket expense, so would prefer to do my own therapy, if possible. I have very high arches and supinate. Yes, I am a supinator and all of my shoes wear on the outside of the shoes.

I've been running 3+ yrs, am a 61 yr old female.  In the past I've dealt w/ retrocalcaneal bursitis, plantar fascitus and achilles tendonitis, so do foot exercises such as heel drops and ankle circles (drawing alphabet) every day. I run 4 days and about 20 miles per week.

What stretches or strengthening exercises should I do?  Is wearing a lt wt ankle brace adviseable?

Thanks in advance for any advise!

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,146 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jun 8, 2013 7:55 PM (in response to PaintingLady)
    Re: Snapping feeling on top of ankle bone

While I will take your word that you are a supinator, and that you spend a lot of your gait cycle on the outside of your foot, I'm willing to bet you still go through a pronation phase like pretty much everybody else, or at least, your body tries to in order to absorb shock. This would require action (perhaps more than normal in your case, and perhaps eccentrically) from the peroneal (fibular) muscles and tendons, which lift the outside of the foot in pronation...

http://www.foothealthfacts.org/uploadedImages/FootHealthFactscom/Foot_an_Ankle_Conditions/English/peroneal.jpg

The above image from Foot Health Facts shows the peroneal tendons wrapping around the outside of your ankle.

Article here.

Check out this youtube video on Peroneal Tendinitis (like a medical consult)...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...