Skip navigation

23123 Views 43 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2013 4:48 AM by johnnydepp117 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • DrLisa Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 26, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Nov 5, 2009 12:30 PM (in response to susan-n-the black dog)
    Re: Big Girl Walking...

First off, you are NOT the only big girl out there trying to get fit and change your lifestyle.  There are a lot of us out here.  I think we just need to feel more empowered to connect with each other.

I'm wear a size 22 and I've been athletic for about 4 years now.  I've participated in 5K, 10K, and half marathon races, and I've done one triathlon (so far).  I've been a walk coach for Team in Training for 2 years, and I recently became a certified personal trainer.  From my experience, let me tell you that spending a little money on the proper fitness clothes (yes, moisture wicking and all that) will make you feel so much more legitimate out there doing your workouts.  The bare minimum you need:  1) good shoes, 2) non-cotton socks, 3) properly fitting sports bra, 4) shorts, shirts, tights, etc.

Ok, so where do you find these clothes?  This is a HUGE problem and all of us are having it.  You might think that since the plus sized woman is the person who needs to work out the most, you'd be able to easily find clothes.  Well that's not the case.  You will have to search for them-- you're not just going to be able to walk into your local mass retailer and pick something up.  Here are my favorite places so far...

Sports bra

Honestly, if you are a DD cup or over, Enell makes pretty much the only sports bra for you.  They are not especially pretty but if you follow their directions for proper fit, you will NOT bounce.  I wear a Champion sports bra as my everyday bra, and use the Enell for workouts.  I have heard of a British company that makes a sports bra called the Freya Active, but I haven't been able to try that one yet.

Other clothes

In general, specialty companies who are making plus size performance fabric clothes are putting out limited sizes and colors.  Even if you're not picky (and you don't mind a closet full of black shorts and tights) you are probably going to have to pay more than the other sizes.  I find a lot of discounts by shopping the outlets and clearances.  Here is my short list of favorite places to find clothes...

Junonia:  Tends to be pricey, but for a while no other company was making plus sized clothing in performance fabrics.  Favorite item:  dual layer shorts.  They are compression shorts underneath with an attached "regular" shorts layer over the top.  There is only a single layer of compression shorts fabric between the thighs so these shorts DO NOT ride up!  Goodbye chafing!  If you get on Junonia's email list, they will send you emails about their specials.  Also check their discount area-- Juno's closet-- for closeout items.  Very often you will find 4x-6x on deep discount in Juno's closet.  The 1x-2x stuff on clearance sells out FAST.  Once I got the dual layer shorts on clearance for $14.

Land's End Active line:  They make quite a few items with performance fabrics in plus sizes.  If you catch them early, they also tend to make the plus sized items in good colors (not all black!).  Best items:  windproof fleece jackets, quarter-zip pullover fleece sweatshirts, performance fabric jackets, tights, shirts, and the best fitting plus sized swimsuits in the industry.  Check back frequently at the Land's End Outlet for big discounts off their regular prices-- but move fast, they do sell out.

Areo Tech Designs:  Make womens' padded bicycle shorts & padded tights in sizes up to 6x. A lot of different options for the pad in the cycling shorts.  Sadly, still no triathlon-specific shorts in women's plus sizes.  I couldn't find a properly fitting pair of cycling shorts anywhere else.

REI OPT line:  This is REI's in house brand for fitness clothes.  They make tights, capris, shorts, and various tops (short sleeve, long sleeve, sleeveless) in women's plus sizes.  On the REI website, search for "women's extended sizes" to filter out all the stuff that won't fit.  You can usually find good deals when REI is having a sale.  Best item: any of the OPT performance fabric wicking shirts.  I have gotten some fantastic deals on the REI outlet:  once I got plus sized REI OPT capri running tights for $9 each.

Terry Bicycles:  Terry makes some cute plus sized items that can be used for cycling or fitness.  Best item: Terry's Wrapper Skirt.  If you are feeling modest about showing off too much booty in your compression shorts, Terry's wrapper skirt is for you.  They make it in performance fabric, and it has a huge pocket.  These people get it.

Lila Plus:  Lila Plus is a relatively new website that specializes in women's fitness clothes size 16 and above.  They have items from various brands-- Moving Comfort, Danskin, Sporthill, Skirt Sports, and others.  I have found items that were discontinued by other companies show up on the Lila Plus site at a discount from the price offered on the original site.  Plus sized girls need to support this company!

Just My Size:  When all you need is a t-shirt or some shorts, JMS will do.  Yes they do tend to sell out and backorder can take forever.  But this is your best bet for Champion compression shorts, t-shirts, capris, and a big selection of bras.  A lot of JMS plus sized items are available at Wal Mart, but I think you still need to order online for the more serious athletic clothes.  Example:  you can get their cotton/poly shorts at Wal Mart, but you have to order the Champion compression shorts online.  Sometimes you can find these items on sale or clearance.

Hope this helps!

• smiless870 Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 11, 2009
    32. Nov 11, 2009 7:04 PM (in response to susan-n-the black dog)

I have purchased many items from Junonia and love them.  My one pair of work out pants are almost 3 years old and I still use them....they just wash well.   I am new to this site, but I was a size 24 and did find it hard to find clothes which I felt good in....these suggestions are good as clothes have come a long way in the plus sizes over the last couple years. 

• moviechic3 Pro 96 posts since
    Nov 5, 2009
    33. Nov 12, 2009 4:29 PM (in response to smiless870)

This is a great thread, I'm looking through some links that have been posted.

Most of my actual clothing are from the men's department. I've always been a big girl but not huge in chest size, so I am lucky I can pick up the XXL sports bras at Target and they work for me. Just none of the clothing actually works for me.

Everyone keep up the good work!

http://some-people-juggle-geese.blogspot.com/ (My Blog)

Upcoming Races :

11/03/12 Race the Bar 15K Winston-Salem, NC

Completed Races :

05/26/12 Run The Haw 10K Graham, NC 1:20:03

04/28/12 Owl's Roost 3.5M Greensboro, NC 46:26

03/24/12 Race the Bar 5K Winston-Salem, NC 42:52

09/15/12 Dublin Half Marathon Dublin, Ireland 3:20:24

10/20/12 Hit the Brixx 10K Greensboro, NC 1:22:05

• DrLisa Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 26, 2008
    34. Nov 13, 2009 8:21 AM (in response to susan-n-the black dog)

Hey ladies,

I need to make a correction on the previous post.  REI's in house brand is called OXT, not OPT as I previously posted.  I hate brain fog!

Susan, congrats on the weight loss so far.  Keep up the good work everybody! 

Everyone's preferences are different, but I have to make a comment in defense of compression shorts.  When I say compression shorts, I'm really talking about any of the tight body-hugging shorts.  I know, many of you are thinking, "with a butt this big, why the heck would I want to work out in compression shorts?"  You may be worried about being embarrassed in looking big, and you're used to hiding in baggy clothes.  Worse, you might think people will say something to you (or some jerk has *already* said something nasty to you) in the gym or at the workout.  Despite these drawbacks, I think some big girls need to give compression shorts a chance.  For me, it's all about preventing the dreaded "chub rub"... the problematic and sometimes painful condition of chafing, or having your thighs rub together when you walk, run, etc. 

Some people may be able to get away with using the traditional runner's solution to chafing, Body Glide.  Body Glide is sold in running stores and comes in a container like a deodorant stick.  You rub this lubricant onto places that chafe and it's pretty good at reducing chafing.  I use it for chafing around my bra straps, but Body Glide is not enough for my thigh chafing.  I have tried almost everything-- there's a saddle butter that cyclists use, and don't even get me started about what happens to Vaseline after 3 hours.  The best way to deal with chafing is to have layers of fabric between the legs to take the friction for you.  I'm the kind of person who can get pretty bad chafing-- my skin will get irritated, then I'll get a rash, and the rash will start bleeding.  I am also the kind of person who makes skin tags-- little tiny flaps of skin that stick up after the skin experiences a lot of friction.  After you get the chafing rash or start bleeding, you've opened the skin and increased your chance of infection.  Skin tags can be wickedly painful and bleed after they've been rubbed back and forth for weeks...your best bet there is to have them removed by a dermatologist.  The great thing is that compression shorts can help prevent all of this. It's important that the shorts are tight enough that they don't move and rub on the skin while the fabric rubs against the fabric on the other leg.  So here's the plea... if you are having any kind of pain or complications from your thighs rubbing together, you owe it to yourself to find a solution.  Shorts riding up exposing your thighs to chub rub?  There are better shorts.  Chafing?  Try lubricant, and give compression shorts a chance.  Do compression shorts make your thighs look dimpled, or does your skin bulge out at the bottom of the shorts?  The shorts you've tried may be too tight.  Try a larger size-- there are bigger compression shorts out there, you will just have to look for them.  Worried that people will think bad things about you or make snide comments?  Sorry, that's possible-- it just happened to me again last week-- but we are in this to take better care of OURSELVES, and what others think doesn't really matter.  Buying and using the appropriate equipment for my body is an important part of how I am taking care of myself.  I can't let other people's judgments (or my own!) force me to take less than the best care of my body.

Keep it up!  Go, go, go!

• niceshot Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 24, 2010
    36. Feb 25, 2010 12:37 AM (in response to susan-n-the black dog)

sounds great, well done girls,i have a dughter, but ,i'm sorry ,i'm not a good father!

avi to dvd

• swarovski Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 2, 2010
    37. Mar 4, 2010 11:07 PM (in response to susan-n-the black dog)

Yes, we are trying to get fit and change our lifestyles.Paste a crystal to amuse everyone.

crystal_1.jpg

• Rich Sauniere Rookie 10 posts since
    Sep 3, 2009
    38. Mar 30, 2010 4:02 PM (in response to susan-n-the black dog)

Susan where'd you go off to?  I want to find out how you keep a blog going about your walking.  Write back.

• KLNobles Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009

Junonia is great, and expensive. There stuff lasts forever though. I love their double layer shorts, which have a compression short covered by a light layer that only goes 3/4 around the leg. The inside thigh is only one layer, so nothing rides up. I used them when I did the Avon 3-day a few years ago, and had no chaffing even after 60 miles. Due to the price, however, I watch the clearance rack, and I also watch eBay. There are a number of folks who sell Junonia products that are returns, overruns or off season clearance.

I'm trying to get started again in my walking program, and am probably going to do one of the big breast cancer events. I find having a big goal like that, with someone outside benefiting, tends to keep me motivated. 5'8 and 245 now...and 57 years old...

Katherine

Sep 3, 2009
    41. Apr 7, 2010 10:20 AM (in response to niceshot)

niceshot, you should work on that.  I wish my dad had.  He was a good friend, but not a good father.  I think he was too self-absorbed in self-pity to care.  He died 12 years ago.  As long as you're alive, you can work on it.

Sep 3, 2009
    42. Apr 7, 2010 10:41 AM (in response to susan-n-the black dog)

You've done a lot more with recovering knees than I've done with two perfectly good ones.  Keep up the good work.  You've really been an inspiration to me.  I joined Weight Watchers at work nearly four weeks ago, started a week late due to vacation.  I'm coming up to speed slowly.  Started climbing nearly 7-10 flights of stairs twice every weekday beginning last Monday.  Added walking 10 minutes and P90 DVD for 15-30 this week.  Starting to eat a lot better.  Will be joining a walking club near work beginning next week.

All of you keep posting info as I need all the help I can get and apparently this is the site to get it.

KLNobles, I'm 5'6" and 260 so I feel you.  But make sure you get some activity in every day so when you post, you have something to motivate me with.

• johnnydepp117 Amateur 16 posts since
    Jun 9, 2013
    43. Jun 10, 2013 4:48 AM (in response to swarovski)

oh what is this...?

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points