Skip navigation

1144 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2013 10:19 AM by NextCP3 RSS
23AllDayEveryDay Pro 155 posts since
Aug 1, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 10, 2013 5:30 PM

Squared or Slightly to the Side???

Someone help me with this please. So I have a family friend who is like a basketball junkie and has become

my trainer for the last year. He has really improved my shot, espicially at the free throw line. But he is kindve

old school and preaches to have my feet squared with right foot (im right handed) slightly forward. It has improved my shot

from where it was, but it doesnt feel comfortable in games and stuff.

Recently I have also been studying on youtube how great shooters like steph curry, kobe bryant, and kyrie irving have their feet slightly

turning to the left when shooting. So basically Im wondering: WHICH WAY IS BETTER, or is it just personal preference?

• Cman1244 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 11, 2013
    1. Jun 11, 2013 1:35 PM (in response to 23AllDayEveryDay)

Stick with him. When your feet are squared, your shoulders are, too, meaning your shot will be more accurate. However, when a player tries to alter their shot (especially their feet) it takes a while to get used to. After shooting countless shots with your new form, it will become second nature (I've had the same issue as you). However, if the form STILL doesn't feel comfortable after a couple of months, and you don't see any progress, revert to your old form. Overall, every change in form feels uncomfortable, and most of the time if you stick with it, it will work.

Good luck

• Rebound23 Pro 99 posts since
    Mar 16, 2012
    2. Jun 11, 2013 11:01 PM (in response to 23AllDayEveryDay)

Hahaha! I had the reverse of what happened to you. I used to be shooting feet squared and all that and switched to slightly angled. In my case, my shooting did get better and it felt more natural. The logic behind it is that most people, if not everyone, shoots the ball in front of the face right? So if you square yourself up to the rim, your head is dead center but your arm is to the side meaning you'd have to compensate for that by shooting slightly to the left (for the right handed and vice versa). When shooting from a slight angle however, your arm, when extended, forms a straight line to the hoop equalling a more accurate shot. That is just what the guy explained to us at the training center. I'm no scientist to I can't back any of it up. He also got us to just take a normal jump shot and look at our feet once we've landed. We were all tilted to the left (or in the lefty's case to the right). That was his "verification". I agree with Cman1244 that you should give your new form a bit of break in time. If it doesn't work out, scrap and and revert back to angled.
    Hope it helps!

• Nagelsjun Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 13, 2013
    3. Jun 13, 2013 8:51 AM (in response to 23AllDayEveryDay)

you should just check this video out. i had to look for it in my histore for 15minutes so i hope its usefull!
    ?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1itBbEAaA&list=WLAAEDA71AB448E145 its really great

• NextCP3 Legend 320 posts since
    Apr 11, 2012
    4. Jun 13, 2013 10:19 AM (in response to 23AllDayEveryDay)

Whatever is most comfortable with you is the best. But it is preffered to have your feet pointed to the basket.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...