Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

738 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2013 8:29 AM by jeb6294 RSS
brokong Rookie 2 posts since
Jun 10, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 11, 2013 12:56 AM

After Couch-to-5k ??

What program should i follow after completing the couch to 5k? Should I then follow the beginner 5k program (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/142.shtml) or the beginner 10k program (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/138.shtml)?

I want to get upto running 10km but im not sure if I should first follow the other beginner 5k program THEN do the beginner 10k, or just follow the beginner 10 right after the couch to 5k program...??

I am not planning on competing in races, but I want to join the army and want to be able to run 10km first.

thanks for the help!

• SamuelWanjiruFan Amateur 24 posts since
    Oct 12, 2010
    1. Jun 11, 2013 1:44 AM (in response to brokong)
    After Couch-to-5k ??

We are kinda in the same boat. I'm finishing C25K in 2 weeks. I'm also thinking what program should I follow next and to be honest, none of the programs I've seen are appealing to me. That's because they seem weird to me and different than C25K. Maybe I'm scared cause they seem to be more advanced. There's another option I'm thinking of and that's creating my own program. Yes, you heard read me. Obviously I have no knowledge to do such thing but does not seem to be difficult. I think I'll just up my running time 4 minutes each week and in 8 weeks I'll be able to run 10k. Then I'll do speedwork

If you can't join them, beat them!

• Kelly1066 Pro 112 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    2. Jun 11, 2013 9:34 AM (in response to brokong)
    After Couch-to-5k ??

I ended up buying the 5k to 10k ap from active, then not using it.  For some reason it just didn't excite me as much as the Couch to 5k program, which I LOVED.

What I ended up doing was making my own program to get to a 10k, by gradually increasing the distance of one long run by a mile every other week (but keeping it so I was never increasing running mileage per week more than ten percent, which is a rule you'll read a lot of places).

It worked great - I would run a couple three or four mile runs a week, and one long run a week, and every other week I would add a mile onto my long run.  I just finished my first 10k last week and am signed up for a half marathon in September.  I found running 10-15 miles a week was plenty for me to run an entire 10k comfortably... although I didn't end up going as fast as I would have liked, which you can read about more on my blog.

I've struggled sometimes between focusing on running longer distances and focusing on running faster... I think it's good to take long runs a little slower, and do speed workouts on shorter runs, for sure.

I write a motivational running blog geared towards new runners at www.iamrunningthis.com if you're interested in reading more about running from another new runner!  It's been a great journey.  Good luck!

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

• SamuelWanjiruFan Amateur 24 posts since
    Oct 12, 2010
    4. Jun 12, 2013 7:15 AM (in response to brokong)
    After Couch-to-5k ??

If you follow that one, you better start from week 7 or week 8.

If you can't join them, beat them!

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    5. Jun 12, 2013 8:29 AM (in response to brokong)
    After Couch-to-5k ??

I finished C25K around the end of November.  Immediately after finishing I dropped back down to ~2 miles but started running about 6 days a week.  After a couple weeks I bumped that up to 2.5 miles.  A couple weeks later I added another 0.5 miles.  I've kept doing that up to the point that my long runs on the weekends are up to 9 miles now.  If anything this plan worked a little TOO well.  I signed up for the 5K at the Cincinnati Flying Pig for my first race, but by the time it got here I was closing in on 8 miles so I switched and did the 10K for my first rrace.

I looked at some of the bridge to 10K plans but didn't want to go back to a run/walk plan...once I start running I'd rather not stop.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...