Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1979 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2013 5:54 AM by AnthonyBouton RSS
AnthonyBouton Rookie 4 posts since
Nov 27, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 29, 2013 10:09 AM

What is the recovery time for a heel injury?

Hello, back running after a thirty year hiatus.  Just ran in a 5k on April 20th that for which I wasn't properly prepared, in a pair of Five Fingers (KSO Treks).  I sustained a heel injury (guessing it was due to tiredness at the end of the race and I may have regressed to a heel strike, but not absolutely sure).  Anyway, my heel still hurts.  I've started wearing crocs instead of the toe shoes, which seems to have helped some, but the pain still occurs (some days are better than others.)  Any idea on the recovery time for this sort of injury?  Also, is there any of physical therapy I can try?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,339 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. May 29, 2013 1:10 PM (in response to AnthonyBouton)
    Re: What is the recovery time for a heel injury?

You don't say anything about your recent running experience (30 years ago doesn't count), so it's hard to tell.  When you started, how you built mileage, your current mileage, what shoes you have been wearing, all would have helped.  Also a better description of your injury: where, when, under what conditions, exactly does it hurt.  Regardless, I'll take a WAG that it is plantar fasciitis.  That's the most likely thing assuming the pain is in the heel area on the bottom of the foot.  You can google that and find a lot of information about causes and possible fixes.  Good luck with it.

Len

• AmandaLaick454 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 25, 2012
    3. Jun 5, 2013 10:12 AM (in response to AnthonyBouton)

Anthony, what you are experiencing may be plantar fasciitis, I hurt my foot 2 1/2 years ago, the pain was right in the middle of the heel and felt like some one was stabbing a knife in the heel.  Turns out the because I am extremely flat footed and never had arch supports while running, the arch tedon is tearing way from the heel bone causing a build up of blood around the bone.  This build up is what was causing the pain along with the tearing, if got so bad the the tedon started tearing legth wise also.  I recently finally saw the right podiatrist and he told me that I should be wearing high arch supports any time I put weight on my foot, I even have a "boot" arch brace that I wear at night.  I had 2 months of therapy because I was training for a half marathon.  after the run I took 2 month off and my pain went from having to use crutches in the moring because that is when the pain was to worst, to  running again with very little pain.  So depending on how bad yours is it could take 2 weeks to 2 months with the proper supports and stretches.  If you look up plantar fasciitis stretches you should find some good ones.  always make sure you stretch your arches before and after every run. oh and I was told that flip flops and walking barefoot are not recommended for flat footed people.  They do make flip flops with arch supports though, there are several kinds orthopeds and new balance are the ones I use.  Now my pain is usually only after a hard run and that is only for awhile.

Good luck

• ramirizjoi Amateur 10 posts since
    Jun 4, 2013
    4. Jun 6, 2013 12:14 AM (in response to AmandaLaick454)

Just take some medicines and take complete rest. Do not work hard.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points