Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

560 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2013 9:54 AM by DanielNen RSS
Snowy1978 Amateur 33 posts since
Jun 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 13, 2013 8:14 AM

How much running is too much?

I recently completed my first half marathon over Memorial Day.  I was on a strict training program that I found to be not only helpful but motivating.  I thrive on structure and a plan.  Since the half, I have continued the training I did in the final weeks which consisted of 3 days of cross training, 1 day of speedwork, 1 mid week 4-5 mile run, a long 10 mile run on the weekend, and one rest day.  I enjoy this schedule but I am a little fearful that maybe the 10 miler is too much over time.  I feel fine when I run it and I feel fine afterwards but is it too much over a long period of time on my body? I am so new to running that I just don't know what is "normal" mileage wise.  I am slightly afraid to drop the mileage for fear I won't get it back if I wanted to do another half someday (which I know I will bc I loved the first one!).  Any thoughts?

-Snowy1978

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,373 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jun 13, 2013 9:23 AM (in response to Snowy1978)

It is not too much. Many runners routinely do 30 to 40 miles per week (or more), with a long run up to 20 miles. I try to keep my long run no less then 10 miles and will be ramping that up as I train for a marathon in October.  And I'm 65 and have been doing this for over 25 years.  Listen to your body, maintain good form, run in good shoes, and you should be fine.

Len

• justamaniac Pro 180 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    2. Jun 13, 2013 9:32 AM (in response to Snowy1978)

A couple of things:  If you are having fun running and you are not feeling any discomfort (pain) anywhere, then keep running!  Secondly, even if for some reason you do drop back in mileage for what ever reason, you get busy, other obligations, etc., you can always ramp it up again - you've already proved that you can do it.  And definitely sign up for another HM.  I've met men and women in their 70's that are still doing 20-30 miles a week.  Just pay attention to your body and if something hurts, look into it...  But I understand the feeling - after my first HM I was so itchy to run another one that I signed up to run one just 3 months later.  And I had a great time with that one too.  More importantly, as you have probably also experienced, I feel so much better physically and mentally when I am into a regular running routine.

keep running!

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• DanielNen Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 14, 2013
    3. Jun 14, 2013 9:54 AM (in response to Snowy1978)

I completely agree with the previous post.

• If you feeling OK, you have the time and like running as much as you do now, don't stop?
    • It is not very hard to return to your previous fitness level if you don't run as much for some time.

We all run for how we feel after the run, although struggling half-way through is also fun

Hey, we are http://runpeer.com !

We create personal running programs to help you rock at the marathon.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points