Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1942 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2013 7:19 PM by asivia RSS
C-Rock Pro 70 posts since
Aug 24, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 17, 2013 7:35 AM

hip pain for the last 10 months!

I've tryed everything to treat this.  The pains seems centered in the hip socket.  My hamstring on rhe same side is super tight.  I stretch it and foam roll it and it never seems to change.  I have tryed rest and anti-imflamatories without much success.  I am currently running everyday now and it doesn't seem to make the condition worse, with the exception of intervals.  My trainers seemed to make the situation worse.  I pitched them in favor of running in shoes with minimal to no heel-toe drop.  I've even delved into barefoot running.  There is no pain running barefoot.  I think the problem stems from a form issue.  So I am onto something.  If I could stand 24hrs a day I would probably be healed.  Therein lies the problem...  Sitting makes it sore.  Between the desk at work and the nearly two hour round trip commute my hip stays irritated.  Does this syptom help pinpoint the problem and/or suggest a treatment method??

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,127 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    1. Jun 17, 2013 8:40 AM (in response to C-Rock)
    Re: hip pain for the last 10 months!

Probably something core/pelvic. There are many explanations for that type of pain, but I'll stick with one that indicates the least invasive strategy. While there can be many causes, you have identified a common one, which is the common chair.

Back to the pain, a few intrapelvic, gluteal, adductor, and hip flexor muscles can produce pain felt as if in the hip joint itself. It can take many years to stress these structures and develop symptoms, but not necessarily very long to make the problem go away. First thing is to fix the chairs that are likely to be at the root of the problem. There may be no perfect way to sit, but finding a different way as soon as possible will probably help. There are a number of devices you can install in a car seat that change angles and provide support, and adjustments to length, height or angle to play with.

The tight hamstring would make sense if it is on the Right in an automatic, because everything is done with the right foot, which gets little rest in rush hour traffic. The Left would make more sense if you drive stick. Office chairs can be equal parts comfortable and destructive to your pelvic physiology. Limiting circulation via compression and lack of movement, they are often at the core of problems in your core. Your punishment for doing well in school and getting some place in the world, is to be doomed to a chair. See if you can get a new one or swap with somebody else. Also see if you can actually stand while using a computer, etc., except that part of the problem is staying still - not good, not natural.

Meanwhile, you can attack frozen Gluteals, Piriformis, etc. with a tennis ball against the wall. Rollers are mostly linear in shape. Even the knobby ones can't get into the Glutes as well as a tennis ball or other small rubber ball. Check to see if you experience more pain with one leg crossed over the other. Chances are you will, but either way, you want to avoid sitting with knees crossed. It Strains both the Piriformis and Adductor muscles, potentially radiating pain through the hip.

Intervals, particularly of high intensity, will enlist the Adductor muscles as auxilliary hip flexors. Slower stuff will probably pick more on the minor glutes as hip stabilizers. If it feels better standing, though, my money is more on the Adductors and intrapelvic, including the external femur rotator Piriformis.

http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscularsystem/thighmuscles/posteriormuscles/menu/menu.html

• Damien Howell Legend 306 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    2. Jun 17, 2013 11:16 AM (in response to C-Rock)

Take a look at your car seat.  It is common for the cushion on the door side of the drivers seat to be compressed and worn out.  Place a small towel or cushion just under the left cheek to level the pelvis.  Cars older than 6 years, SUV are particularly prone to having lopsided car seats. 

Damien Howell PT, DPT, OCS

www.damienhowellpt.com

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Jun 17, 2013 2:23 PM (in response to C-Rock)

I had a similar problem several months ago (honestly not 100% gone yet).  The pain in my case was mostly gluteal, and ran down the back of my hamstring.  I could run and get up to 7 or 8 miles before it really bothered me.  James' advice is excellent, particularly if you can isolate which muscles are involved.  My problem was a poor chair at work and poor habits when sitting at home using my PC.  I changed chairs at work and tried different settings and completely changed where I work and sit at home.  Then I retired which got rid of the work side of the problem.  All that plus targeting the area in the manner that James suggested eventually (98%) resolved the problem   I never found the car seat to be specifically involved.  I would get pain after driving for a while but it didn't matter which car I was driving.

Len

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    5. Jun 19, 2013 8:48 AM (in response to C-Rock)

Google piriformis syndrome.  That is most likely what it is, though other muscles can become involved.  It does not cure easily but it can be done. 

http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscularsystem/thighmuscles/posteriormuscles/piriformis/tutorial.html

Len

• infoqueen Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    7. Aug 5, 2013 8:21 PM (in response to C-Rock)

I've been having a similar problem, and have narrowed it down to the TFL: it connects the IT band to the top of the pelvis, and hooks into the glutes as well. For me, it's triggered by interval training; but like you, I've found that sitting for an extended period then standing up is agony. Ice and Advil, deep tissue work with my chiropractor and acupuncturist, and some great stretches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AZHU_WEypI

http://rpm-therapy.com/2012/trigger-point-pain-tensor-fasciae-latae/

Good luck!

• mandm728 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 12, 2012
    8. Aug 6, 2013 7:35 AM (in response to C-Rock)

I dealth with the same issue in my L hip for almost 3 weeks.  I thought I broke something....ok exaggerated a bit.....first and foremost I would see an ortho MD to make sure its not something structurally wrong.  second I would ICE it every night especially after a run.  I even did HOT yoga to stretch it out at least once a week and I had a deep tissue massage done and that fixed it totally.  It probably is a form issue, and maybe from running or aggravating it too many days in a row.  Its difficult to dx or find the problem without sitting down and examining you.  Hope that helps

• asivia Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 14, 2010
    9. Aug 14, 2013 7:19 PM (in response to C-Rock)

You sound like me! :) Since running a half in October 2012, my right hip has been hurting. More on the side or rear but nonetheless, it hurts. I kept running and after another half in February 2013, not only was I in pain when I ran but also when I slept, sat at work; basically anytime. After months of trying to rest and then running a bit here and there, I self diagnosed myself...bursitis (inflammation of the bursa sac). Caused by IT band issues (which I've had in the past) and running on sloped streets (which I do).  I also know that running in shoes that were too high in miles and not the right support also could have contributed to my hip issues.

Here are some articles that helped me figure out what I have:

- http://m.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/inside-doctors-office-how-beat-hip-pain?cm_mmc=NL-TrainingExtra-_-1265878-_-04162013-_-How-to-Beat-Hip-Pain

- http://m.runnersworld.com/womens-running/the-owners-manual-for-the-female-runner?page=single

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...