Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

385 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 18, 2013 4:26 AM by Kelly1066 RSS
RunBears29 Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 17, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 17, 2013 10:17 AM

new to the site & a couple questions

Hey everyone,

Quick background, I'm 17 yrs old, a cornerback for my high school football team, ive also played baseball and ran track. I have recently run a half marathon (not at an event just on my own) id say im getting to be a decent runner. I run a few miles every weekday typically in addition to football pratice, weight lifting and speed training. I was gonna ask if 1:33:30 is a good time for my first half marathon as a 17 year old guy. Please keep in mind its my first one I've ever ran

• Kelly1066 Pro 108 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jun 18, 2013 4:26 AM (in response to RunBears29)
    new to the site & a couple questions

I think that's a great time!  I also think its important to compare yourself to your own running, what's a good time for you based on your training and starting point as a runner is different from a good time for someone else.  If you're wondering what the average runner your age and gender runs in a given race, look for age group results on the results page.  Most races show them and its a good way to find out what the average, competitive and beginner runners in your age group are running on a certain course.  Most half marathons are big events with lots of data to look at.

That said, a half marathon is a great accomplishment and that's an excellent time - I hope to finish my first in two hours and fifteen minutes.

Sounds like you worked hard to get there, and THAT is what you should be thinking about, not whether other people your age are faster or slower - unless you're going to run competitively in which case ask your coach!

Happy running :)

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...