Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2143826 Views 11,397 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 ... 724 725 726 727 728 ... 760 Previous Next
  • auntsoozaay Rookie 1 posts since
    May 18, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,876. Jun 19, 2013 1:33 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi Everyone!

I just found this thread.  I'm from NJ, 46 and just started running back in March, and started with the C25K app.  I'm SO slow...basically a 15 min mile, give or take.  I'm running my 3rd 5K this Sunday.  In February, 2014 I'm running the Disney Princess Half Marathon, and my sister wants us to do the Las Vegas Rock n Roll MARATHON in November, 2014...I don't know about that...I may just convince her to do the half marathon...will see after the Disney one.

Anywho...I'm glad I found this group!  I always feel alone when it comes to being the weight I am and a beginner at running.

Can't wait to chat and get to know you all better!

Susie

• Jenn73090 Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 1, 2010
    10,878. Jun 19, 2013 3:52 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Well I did it!  After 3 years of not running I got off the couch tonight and did W1D1 of C25K.  I almost didn't make it, but I DID! 

Dec 1, 2010
    10,879. Jun 19, 2013 4:13 PM (in response to MichelleSzeluga)
    200+ Pound Club!

The first time I tried C25K It took me 2 weeks to get past day 1 of the program.  2 more weeks to finish the first week, but I did it!  Everytime I went out I got a bit further than the last time, I felt better each time.  Today I started again after 3 years of sitting around and WOW that was hard but I know it will be easier on Friday when I go back out.  Start slow, do what you can and each time you try it will get a little bit easier. 

Dec 1, 2010
    10,881. Jun 21, 2013 6:16 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks for the Welcome! 

It's Friday so I hauled myself back out there and completed W1D2.  My distance wasn't as good as Wednesday but that's alright, I'm more concerned with getting out there and moving right now than I am achieving a personal best! lol

How is everyone else doing?

• loislane847 Amateur 16 posts since
    Jun 21, 2013
    10,882. Jun 22, 2013 1:23 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

you should first start walking to a limit then increase it week by week.....after that do same for the running.....

Facebook Status

• AnneofGreenGables Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 17, 2013
    10,883. Jun 22, 2013 5:19 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Did my 1st 5K today!   Time :57  I jogged, walked, jogged, walked, shuffled and got dragged across the finish line by a pal.     Had fun even though I was one of the last to cross the finish line.   In the welcome bag they gave everyone, I recieved a digital jumprope, so now I guess I am going to have to start jumproping.

Dec 1, 2010
    10,884. Jun 23, 2013 5:17 PM (in response to AnneofGreenGables)
    200+ Pound Club!

Well done!!  It doesn't matter when you finished the  fact is you did!  That's fantastic!

• SamShep40 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 23, 2013
    10,885. Jun 23, 2013 7:45 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi everyone! I'm 41 yo and a big walker - never run for fitness in my life! Downloaded the C25K app to my phone tonight - will do W1D1 tomorrow. I'm sure it's going to take me longer than the "standard" timeframe to complete this program, but I'm okay with that. I was excited to find this thread  - it looks like a great place to get advice/ encouragement. I look forward to getting to know you all better. Happy walking/ jogging/ running!

• SpartanJD01 Amateur 22 posts since
    Aug 23, 2012
    10,887. Jun 25, 2013 10:05 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks to Wideguy for starting this and everyone that posts.  I hope you all realize you are encouraging the silen majority as well as everyone else who reads this thread.

I'm 43 and got started on running last year.  I started at 333# and began with walking before starting the C25K program.  I made it to 2 mile runs and had dropped down to about 310 when I got injured (horrible shin splints/high ankle sprain? + rotator cuff sprain).  That put m,e on the shelf and I stayed longer than I should have.  Added all the weight back and began again at the end of February at 335#.  I weighed 289# and ran 6+ miles this morning.  I ran a 5K on 6/8/13 at 38.37.

My original goal was to get to a 10K by the fall.  I am debating trying to do a half marathon.  If I keep on my weight loss pace, I will be 240ish by race day.  I can easily push out my max to 13.1.  I have really tried to pay attention to my body.  I run no more than 3 times a week and do weights/recumbant bike and bikram yoga on the other days.  I had a little pain in early April and took 2 weeks off to make sure that i didn't have a major setback, but I have had no issues since.

Does anyone have any experience running a half at or near my weight range?  Should I just run my 10K and train to improve my time, passing on the half until next spring?

Dec 1, 2010
    10,888. Jun 25, 2013 5:35 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I ran again tonight and finished W2D1 and I found it easier than W1D3, not sure why but I enjoyed it   I'm actually looking forward to running on Thursday!

• gatorrn83 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 10, 2012
    10,889. Jun 27, 2013 4:08 PM (in response to cjs2013)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi just found this thread/ blog? Anyway I'll give you my 2 cents. I am 52 and yes fit in this weight category. Even before I got this big I was never flat chested. Finding a good running bra is essential. I went to a good running store (Track Shack in Orlando) and I was fitted with a bra by Moving Comfort... love it! I also love my compression shorts also by moving comfort. I am not consistent but Jeff Galloway's run walk method gave me the courage to do my first 5k, a 10 miler, and three 1/2 marathons in the past year and a half.He has several apps. And I have them on my I phone. My goal for the next races are to actually train like I should . Wish you all the best

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...