Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9139 Views 31 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2013 6:08 PM by GBOROWSKI Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Kelly1066 Pro 133 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jun 13, 2013 4:13 AM (in response to SamuelWanjiruFan)
    Re: For those who started C25K in May

Hey thanks, glad you liked! 

My husband has always said that the first mile is the hardest, your muscles are still warming up, your brain knows that the rest of the run is still in front of you, it's mental AND physical I think!  I find I can do my fastest miles towards the end of my runs because my body is warmed up and my brain is more comfortable pushing because I know I'll be stopping and hitting the shower soon rather than getting stranded a few miles from home with a side cramp!

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

• AColeslaw Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 1, 2013
    17. Jun 16, 2013 10:29 AM (in response to SamuelWanjiruFan)
    For those who started C25K in May

Just got done with W6D2 - I'm definitely a few days behind!

W5D3 - that 20 minute run was definitely the hardest since the 1st day for me. I made it though and I went e x t r e m e l y slow from the get-go. I'm not going to worry about time until I'm done with the program! Like you guys, I found that the last 5 minutes were much easier than the first 15. I had a moderate stitch in my side from minute 3 to minute 13! The second day (the two 10 minute runs) were almost easy.

I try to run when it's cool out (mornings or evening or when it is overcast) and when I've had a bit to eat. It makes all the difference.

I guess W6D2 was the last day that had walk breaks.  I love those walk breaks! Hoping for the best for W6D3's 22 minute run.

• youngendeavour Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 5, 2013
    20. Jun 19, 2013 5:41 PM (in response to SamuelWanjiruFan)

I have just finished W5D1 and I found it pretty easy. I had to take over a week off as I have had a cold. I never really know what to do in that situation - rest of keep training? I feel bad now as I have my 8km run in three and a half weeks. I know I won't be able to run the whole thing but at least I'll only be doing long runs by then.

Well done on making it to week 9 - that's awesome!

• Will1911 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 30, 2013
    23. Jun 26, 2013 8:33 PM (in response to SamuelWanjiruFan)

I am on week 4 day 2 but I have not ran this week because I have been feeling like my left heel is strained so i have been trying to apply heat in hope that I can get back to running again. I am registered for a 5K next month, hopefully i will be injury free and will continue the C25K.

• amm0810 Amateur 38 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    24. Jun 27, 2013 7:29 AM (in response to Will1911)

Will1911, W4D2 is where I am at too and also looking at a 5K next month....actually a couple weeks.  Not sure if i will just bail and sign up for one later in the summer when I feel more prepared.  Great job on making it to this point! Hope your heel is back in action soon!

Anne in IA

First 5K: Run For the Roses 2007: 32:09

Restarted C25K March 13, 2011

North Polk Central Walk/Run/Roll 5K 2011-April

Flower Power 5K 2011- June

• carotello Amateur 20 posts since
    Jun 3, 2013
    25. Jul 1, 2013 9:20 AM (in response to amm0810)

I just beat Week 5. I ran 20 minutes!!! I covered 2.2 miles. I am sooo happy. I haven't been able to run that much since I was 16 years old (I am now 35).

We can do it, peeps!!!

My 5K is August 3rd.

Jul 12, 2012
    26. Jul 3, 2013 5:03 PM (in response to SamuelWanjiruFan)

Hey everyone - today is my ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY of starting C25k and I'm still running.  Can't really believe it.... it seems like so long ago, and now I can't imagine not being able to run three miles.  Think of where you're headed, keep pushing, and it's so worth it

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

• GBOROWSKI Amateur 8 posts since
    Jul 3, 2013
    27. Jul 3, 2013 6:17 PM (in response to SamuelWanjiruFan)

Hi all, I'm new to this page and gained some good information from reading all your posts. I'm presently stuck on W5D2, and reluctant to try W5D3 (20 minutes no walking), and felt more comfortable doing W4 over & over. When I started C25k I was at my heaviest 285+ LBS's and since dropped over 30+ pounds and recently weighed in at 253 . I completed my first 5K race on Fathers Day in 34+ minutes (walking / running). Maybe its time to push on to the next level?

Jul 12, 2012
    28. Jul 4, 2013 7:56 AM (in response to GBOROWSKI)

Push on to the next level - you can do it!  That was the hardest jump for me during the C25K program as well.  It's a big mental hurdle.  I actually didn't do it until I went for a run with my husband for moral support and encouragement... if you have someone who can spot you for the support it might be a good way to go.  Or just get out there and do it, and come back here and tell us!  If you can do a 5k running and walking in 34 and change, you can run twenty minutes without stopping, even if you slow your jog a little to keep going.  And it's a great hurdle to get over, you really feel like you're a runner when you don't need to stop!

Just ask yourself if you can keep going another thirty seconds, not if you can keep going the rest of the twenty minutes, and do that over and over again until you're done.  Sounds to me like you're ready to make it!

• GBOROWSKI Amateur 8 posts since
    Jul 3, 2013
    29. Jul 11, 2013 7:15 PM (in response to Kelly1066)

"Kelly1066" I did it! Completed W5D3, ran 20 minutes without stopping to walk. I feel great and energized to move on further! Thanks for your words of encouragement and you're right I'm starting to feel like a runner for not stopping to walk.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...