Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

653 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2013 11:19 AM by Kinver88 RSS
dsvick Rookie 3 posts since
Jun 18, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 18, 2013 7:08 PM

weekly long run or not

Hi everyone

I’m 47 and running mainly for health but also entering some 5 and 10 K runs (and eventually a half marathon) and would like to improve my times. My current schedule is two short runs on Wednesday and Friday and a long run on Sunday, the short runs are a little over 5 miles and the long is in the 10 mile range. I can’t run every day (at least not the distances I’ve been running) or my knees get sore. My question is if I’d be better off running the 5 miles every other day and only running the long run every other week. Over a month the distances would be about the same and there would only be one additional run with the every other day routine so they seem pretty even in those aspects. I’ve just started doing an interval run once a week so I’ll do that for either routine.

I’m not sure there would be much of a difference either way for general health or from a time improvement point of view. I do know that I, oddly enough, enjoy the long run, and if I only do it every other week I’m more sore the next couple of days afterwards, but not so much if I’m doing it each week.

I’m sure there’s no definitive answer, but I’d appreciate anyone’s feedback or advice. If you need any more info let me know.

Thanks

Dave

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jun 18, 2013 8:25 PM (in response to dsvick)
    weekly long run or not

I think a periodic run of 8 to 10 miles (or more) is beneficial for the distances you're racing, particularly if you want to improve your times. Does it have to be every week? No, although I would not recommend going longer than every two weeks.  And of course it will be more needed if you decide to run a half-marathon.  If the long run leaves you sore you might try slowing a little for that run.

If you find your knees get sore, you should check your running form  A pretty good video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIDRHUWlVo Note I don't agree with everything he says and I'm not sure what "natural running" is.  But it has some pretty good tips on form, gait and footplant.  Keeping your knees flexed and planting your feet under your hips are probably the most important.  The other thing to check is your shoes: that they are not worn out and that they're a good shoe for you.

Len

• Kelly1066 Pro 108 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    3. Jul 18, 2013 6:52 AM (in response to dsvick)
    weekly long run or not

longruntoday.jpg

Just a semi-relevant pic from my blog  

I love the feeling of relaxation and satisfaction the day after a long run.  Did nine miles yesterday, and today I am not even doing strength training... just chilling out and taking care of the kids.

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

• Kinver88 Pro 80 posts since
    Oct 2, 2010
    4. Jul 18, 2013 11:19 AM (in response to Kelly1066)
    weekly long run or not

Honestly if you are getting some seriouspain that is stopping you from running then you needto have that sorted first! The thing about knee pain isthat even though you think that it is bearable, subconsciouslyyou still put less weight on that leg thanyou normally would and so before long you startpicking up injuries in other areas of your body due to thechange in gait. Knees are problem areas anyway and so it is bestto see a physio as they will be able to work out ifyou have a muscle imbalance that iscausing the problem or if it needs further treatment. Thequicker you get your injury sorted out then thequicker you can get back into training!

Your schedule looks good and I would bereluctant to make any changes before you have hadsomeone take a look at your knee. Maybe in themeantime whilst you are receiving treatment you could try somethingnon-impact like swimming to improve your fitness before you start uppingyour distances again. Just a thought...

Hope that helps and goof luck with thetraining!

I am currently training for the Londontriathlon and keep a very boring running/triathlon/moanings blogcalled Londontri.com.

Goals:

Sub 2:30 London Tri

Ironman UK 2014

Brighton Marathon

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...