Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2588 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2013 12:48 PM by JesseMacRunner RSS
ShoshanahB Rookie 1 posts since
May 21, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 19, 2013 5:18 AM

Is this a good, realistic plan?

So I am a brand new runner (duh, that's why I'm posting here ). I got into running because "all my friends were doing it" sometime in mid-may. I walked my first 5k on June 8th with a decent time of 55:14 (wasn't going for time, goal was to finish). My friend (who has run in the past) signed up for the Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon in Feb 2014 and I decided to throw caution to the wind and join her. I'd like to have a time to submit to get myself out of the last corral - which means I need a decent time in a 10k by the end of November. I just signed up for a local Galloway training group that starts July 8th and have been attempting to follow his training plan (we've had a lot of tornado-bad weather recently, so it's impeding my outdoor time). My current plan is to do one race every 4-6 weeks until December. I was going to do 2 more 5ks and then hopefully start 10ks in September so that I have a few opportunities to improve my time before it is due for submission. Is this realistic? I feel very confused and I'm hoping the training group will get me understanding what I need to do.  My goal for the 1/2 is to finish without being swept.    

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...