Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1144 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2013 4:43 AM by CranberryBlue
CranberryBlue Pro 94 posts since
May 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 22, 2013 8:20 AM

Protected Fielder/Interference/Obstruction

LL rules.......this one gets complicated....

R1, no outs......BR pops one up between F1 & F3 about 15 ft fair and almost to the infield dirt. F1, F3 & F4 (F4 is late to the party) all converge on the ball & R1 starts for 2nd (dunno why). F1 & F3 collide with the ball tipping off F1's glove (he was taller than F3) - meanwhile almost simultaneously F4 & R1 collide about 4 ft behind the F1/F3 collision. Now I have 4 players on the ground. F3 gathers in the ball & rolls over & tags a still prone R1. At this point I *think* what I have is type B (not A) obstruction on F4 since no play was being made on R1. Since it's type B I judge that R1 would not have made his advance base absent the obstruction & call R1 out. Going by the principal of punishing stupidity whenever possible I'm just not sure I got this close to right.

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Jun 22, 2013 3:57 PM (in response to CranberryBlue)
    Protected Fielder/Interference/Obstruction

I agree it's Type B Obstruction by F4 so it's up to YOU whether or not you think R1 would have made it to second.

You didn't think he would so you called him out.

I wasn't there but to me, if R1 is heading towards second and F3 and F1 collide and fall to the ground, I'd have a hard time thinking that R1 would not make second on the play.

On Type B Obstruction I generally give the offense the benefit of the doubt (defense did something wrong, they shouldn't get an advantage because of it).

I guess F3 could have rolled over and threw to second for the force (assuming F6 was paying attention and covering second).

It's a HTBT and you were there so your ement is the only one that counts!

• Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Jun 23, 2013 7:36 AM (in response to Lou_B)
    Re: Protected Fielder/Interference/Obstruction

Whoa!

If you ruled Obstruction--you pointed at the scrum and said "That's Obstruction!"--then you are protecting R1 somewhere.

No way you can call him out now once you have ruled Type B.  You have in your mind how far you are protecting him when you make the call.  A play is now being made on the runner;  you must call time and award the base to which you protected him (which MIGHT have been first base as much as second.)

There is no fuzz on the peach!  You rule OBS, you are stating that the defense disadvantaged the offense.  Now if you didn't rule OBS, then the play is what it is.

But I think this was a blown call.

JMO.

Mike CVUA

• Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    4. Jun 23, 2013 2:32 PM (in response to CranberryBlue)
    Re: Protected Fielder/Interference/Obstruction

CB:

Ah!  There WAS a play on the Obstructed Runner:  The tag play while he's on the ground!  So your rule quotation is now irrelevant.

This was Type B followed by a subsequest play on the Obstructed runner.  The proper mechanic is to call time and award R1 his bases.  OK, since B2 is standing on first, you give R1 second base.  This is an easy interpretation of the rule.

I think you are putting way too much into this.  If you think there was OBS, and OBS was called, you can't rule the runner out unless he proceeds beyond the base that you protected him to.  In this case, you felt you needed to call OBS because he was obstructed to 2nd base.  That's as far as you protect him.  Then, when they make the tag play, you award it.

Of course R1 is not going to make second base if he's laying on the ground!

If you call it, you must award it on a type B.

Mike CVUA

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points