Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

357 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 24, 2013 6:30 AM by Kelly1066 RSS
jmstatz Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 26, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 21, 2013 10:27 AM

Attacked by a dog!

During my last run a dog broke free from its owners leash and attacked me from behing and bit into my back.  Thankfully a large tree was right there and I was albe to keep the dog between me and the tree until the owner reclaimed the leash.  I had to go to the ER and the owners put the dog down because I guess this was the second time this has happened.  I am physically going to be okay. However menatlly I am so scared to go for a run again outside.  I talked to a police officer about pepper spray and he said that it would be largley noneffective on a dog and most likely would be sprayed back on me if their was any kind of a wind.  I asked about a stun gun.  He didn't want to advocate it in anyway.  However he did say that the loud noise they emit could possible detour the dog from getting close to you.  I would like to know if other runners out there carry stun guns ?

• Kelly1066 Pro 108 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jun 24, 2013 6:30 AM (in response to jmstatz)
    Attacked by a dog!

That's horrible, and I'm glad you're going to be ok.  I've never met another runner who carried anything on them to deter dogs... have you looked into a dog whistle?  It might be smaller, easier to carry, and effective from a greater distance.  I would think a stun gun would be bulky, and require you to get closer to a dog than you'd want to.

I've never had an experience like this and I think most dog owners care enough about their pets and the public to prevent their animals from being able to attack anyone going by.  Chances are good that this was a freak occurence, and the more you get out there and run without it happening again, the more you'll emotionally start to recover and get your ability to run comfortably back.

You could talk to a counselor about ways to get your confidence back out on the road, and in the meantime, a dog whistle or even a regular whistle that would attract help / the owner and startle the dog might be a great solution since it'd be easy to run with on a lanyard or in a pocket.

Wish you the best, glad you're going to be all right... what a horrible experience.

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points