Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

670 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2013 8:41 AM by lenzlaw
Missys4 Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 24, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 24, 2013 8:54 AM

Advice please

I am really frustrated because I have hurtmy leg and did not run this past Fri-Sun to see if it would feel better today and to see if it was muscle related.– tried to run this am – had to walk half.  I hurt it when I did my first race on June 9thor at least that is when it started to hurt. I have run my normal 5 days ever since then but the pain has gradually gotten worse and last Thursday it really hurt. I do not think it is muscle related and am not sure what to do.  I can walk on it fine but when running I can really feel the pain dand if I jump on my left leg it hurts.  It is my lower leg on the side – not shin splints.  Any advice?

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Jun 25, 2013 6:08 AM (in response to Missys4)
    Advice please

Need a lot more info!  Maybe go to a doctor or PT.

• Cervidae Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 24, 2013
    2. Jun 25, 2013 6:19 AM (in response to Missys4)
    Advice please

Ok I don't know if this will help at all, as i'm not expert, but when I first started running back in January I really injured myself, and it sounds similar to what your experiencing. The pain radiated up the inside of my shin bone but it wasn't in the muscle. I could only induce the pain if I pressed on the bone itself. I was first worried I just had a shin splint, but then grew terrified I had actual fractures the bone. The pain was awful for about 5 days after the run (hot/cold treatment didn't help). After those 5 days or so the pain became absent while I was walking but would flare up the second I started to run. It put me out of running for almost two months (then I had an unrelated surgery, so I haven't run for almost three months). In any case I went to my Doctor and explained the pain and he had a look over. He prescribed me to go get lab work done (ultrasound) as he felt it wasn't a fracture but could have been inflamed veins (what ever that is). I never went for the ultrasound because by the time i'd recovered enough from surgery the pain had resolved itself.

Just from what you've described and my little knowledge on the subject, it does sound sort of like what I was suffering from, so I'd go get it checked by your doctor. Take care of yourself, and congrats on your first race, even though you came away from it hurting.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,413 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Jun 25, 2013 8:41 AM (in response to Cervidae)
    Advice please

As BOSNPM said, your post doesn't really provide enough info.  BUT...based on what little you said, it most sounds like a stress fracture (same with yours Cervidae).  So getting it checked by a doctor is a good idea.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points