Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

This thread is locked
1634 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2013 1:04 PM by lenzlaw RSS
runnermindy Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 30, 2005 12:28 PM

Training for a marathon and have knee pain!

I am training for my first marathon in November and I am having terrible knee pains - like my knees are going to explode.  It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, I can hardly walk the next couple days.  I HAVE to do this marathon!  Help!

• korn_fish Amateur 12 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Oct 2, 2005 5:21 PM (in response to runnermindy)
    Re: Training for a marathon and have knee pain!

Is the pain on the inside of leg/knee or the outside?  Outside is IT band.  Inside, well, I dont know that one.  IT band issues actually start up in your hip area.  There are some good stretches out there to help.  But as youll see with many posts on here regarding IT band issues.  It's not something to risk.  Yeah, Yeah, you paid the money for the marathon.  But if your IT flares up during the race, you might as well walk the rest or risk having lifelong issues.

• FAST45 Expert 45 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Oct 3, 2005 7:29 AM (in response to runnermindy)

"Never assume anything"; outside of the knee pain is a symptom of IT Band injury, yes, but not exclusively that.  It could be strained muscles or ligaments. If you're a middle-aged runner and/or have years and years of mileage on your knees, the cartilage could be starting to compress.  Do they swell up? I wonder why it's random.  Is it only during intense runs? Do you always wear the same shoes?

I hate to tell you this, but I had right knee pain back in June, and I didn't want to consult a doctor and didn't want to stop running, so I tried to run through it, icing after each run.  Didn't cut it.  I was limping.  I didn't want to screw up MY November marathon (my first too; Richmond), so I decided I'd better take 3 weeks off. I never knew the origin for sure, but the time off fixed it.  Hard to do, yes, but better than not making it to the starting line. 

Can you budget for a professional consultation?  I'd recommend it. Or at least take time off. That's just my experience.

• brewster1781 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Oct 6, 2005 6:28 PM (in response to runnermindy)

since you've got a month, I suggest switching to a different type of shoe. I had aweful knee problems too when I was training in Mizzunos - switched to Brooks and my second marathon was a breeze!

• Rukisses2003 Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Oct 7, 2005 6:53 AM (in response to runnermindy)

Is it a "tight" feeling or is it a "sharp" feeling? Does it feel like your knee is swollen and stiff or does it feel like a pinched nerve and has a sharp shooting feeling? You have a good question. I get a "tight" feeling in my knees some times. I've learned if I soak my legs after stressful runs, it helps a little. Good luck because I know first hand how discomforting it can be.

• AliceJenni Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 22, 2013
    5. Jun 22, 2013 7:32 PM (in response to runnermindy)

Hey, same old here. The thing is to find a good chiropractor. I am sick of the therapists...do not help me at least

• mickhigs Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 26, 2013
    6. Jun 26, 2013 8:34 AM (in response to runnermindy)

Knee pain when running can be related to IT band tendinitis, patellar tendinitis, and also from inflammation of the the under surface of the knee cap. In more serious cases damage to the meniscus is the cause of pain.  With less serious inflammatory problems sometimes the correct pair of sneakers and a good stretching program is what works. I found a good article on foot wear here http://www.newsmicks.com/2013/05/23/best-running-shoes-for-high-arches/

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,332 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    7. Jun 26, 2013 1:04 PM (in response to runnermindy)

Come on, guys! This thread is from 2005.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...