Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1918 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2013 1:20 PM by Martine76 RSS
destinedtogettoned Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 26, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 26, 2013 11:16 AM

Destined to get toned.

I am a 37 year old mother of 5. I am very comfortable with my curent wieght but I have a sudden urge to tone my body up. Problem is I have no idea where to start. Please help!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Jun 26, 2013 11:33 AM (in response to destinedtogettoned)
    Destined to get toned.

Have you look at cross fit?

• Kelly1066 Pro 109 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    2. Jun 27, 2013 12:24 PM (in response to destinedtogettoned)
    Destined to get toned.

Running is a great place to start!  If you're new to running, the Couch to 5k program was great.  I started it when my youngest was 4 months old, and it has been a lifesaver in terms of helping me get back to my pre-pregnancy weight, and now I have more energy to handle my kids (and I only have two!).

I have found that I need to do some strength training and abs work in addition to running to get more toned... I do ten minutes three times a week using videos and a variety of exercises that use my own body weight so I can do them at home.

I've heard great things about cross fit, and I am sure that there are great personal trainers at gyms, too, but for me it's hard enough to get my runs in let alone schedule babysitting time in order to do other workouts.  Doing a little bit a few times a week and then running has been manageable for me and I have noticed a big difference.

Think about your schedule and what you can do, start slowly enough with whatever plan you enjoy so that you don't get injured or burned out, and good luck!

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

• Martine76 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 27, 2013
    3. Jun 27, 2013 1:20 PM (in response to destinedtogettoned)
    Destined to get toned.

Boot camp should do it!  :-)  I love it, complete workout!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points