Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4203 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2013 1:08 PM by ChristopherBurrell
Maripossa24 Amateur 9 posts since
Oct 3, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 26, 2013 6:54 PM

Why am I going backwards????

Hi everyone!

Quick backround. I started C25K last year, but around week 5 I got a stress fracture of my calcaneus. My last run before I had to wear the boot was the 20 minute one. I restarted again this spring, and I was doing just fine. However, I hit a wall at the end of week 5. I just cannot seem to run for 20 minutes straight!  I signed up for my first 5k, and I did it this past weekend. I came in with an abysmal 44:42.

The other night I went out, and I could not seem to run more than 5 minutes at a stretch. Tonight I went out and did 10 minutes, and could do no more. I'm stuck here for about a month now. What is wrong????

I'm 35, ex smoker, not overweight.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,400 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jun 27, 2013 9:59 AM (in response to Maripossa24)
    Re: Why am I going backwards????

The first thing I usually suggest in these situations is to slow down a little.  Could be that you're a little over-confident because you've done it before.  But the other thing that may be more important is that you're running in warmer weather.  That can make a big difference depending on the weather where you live.  I did a half-marathon a few weeks ago in 70 degree weather and did OK. Two weeks later I did 11 miles in 85 degree weather and had a really bad run.  The cure is the same though - slow down.

Len

• Heather Panagopoulos Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 7, 2011
    2. Jul 3, 2013 9:55 AM (in response to Maripossa24)
    Why am I going backwards????

Have you tried a run/walk approach? Start with a 3 minute run 1 minute walk and work your way up from there. Checkout Hal Higdon's website for more information. I have used several of his training plans and have completed 4 half marathons. I am now training for my first Marathon using a run/walk approach.  ???? #www.halhigdon.com

• ChristopherBurrell Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 10, 2010
    3. Jul 3, 2013 1:08 PM (in response to Maripossa24)
    Re: Why am I going backwards????

It may be helpful if you could describe what the symptoms are that are stopping you from running?  Fatigue? Out of breath? Overheating? Muscle soreness? Joint Soreness?

It may be that you are over training as mentioned previously, or there maybe a specific injury or condition that is being aggravated by the way you are running.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points