Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3652 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2013 7:45 AM by Kelly1066 RSS
carotello Amateur 20 posts since
Jun 3, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 3, 2013 2:04 PM

How to prepare for my first 5K the week before it?

Hello all!

I started the couch to 5K program and I am finishing week 6 this week. I have my first 5K in August 3rd. This means I will have finished the program, and have a week in between that and the race to prepare....I am confident I will be able to finish the program. Also, to clarify, I am not looking at "racing" but just jogging the whole thing without stopping if possible. This is a personal goal.

I simply want to know:

Do I run a preliminary 5K that week before?

Do I do some training intervals but take it easy on myself?

Do I rest the two days before the race? Do I only rest 1 day?

Eat light the day before?

How do I warm up for the race once I'm there?

Anything else you recommend?

I'd appreciate any advice, since this is my first 5K (So excited).

Thanks, all, and have an excellent 4th of July (for those who celebrate it) and weekend!

• Kelly1066 Pro 109 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    1. Jul 4, 2013 8:05 AM (in response to carotello)

Hi!

I finished the C25k program about a week before I ran my first 5k also.  I did not run a practice 5k, the longest I had jogged without stopping was just under 3 miles.  That was enough preparation to make it through race day for me.  My goal was also just to jog without stopping the whole 3.1 miles, with no desire to run faster than I was able to go without stopping. 

I didn't do any training intervals, because I wasn't concerned with speed at that point in my running.  I worked more on just endurance, by completing C25K and working on eliminating walking breaks.

I rested three days before the race, I think two at minimum is good.  The usual advice is to take it easy the week before the race, but not be inactive.  I think I did a twenty five minute jog twice the week before the race, and then took three days off.

HYDRATE well the day before, that was a big help for me.  I would eat a normal amount but have more carbs for dinner than proteins the night before the race.

I warmed up for the race by walking for five minutes.  Since it was my first race, I didn't want to jog for five or ten minutes beforehand because I was worried I wouldn't finish.  That was probably not true, but I found that warming up by walking for five minutes like I did for C25k was enough for me not to feel stiff the next day.  You're going for completion, not speed, so you can consider your first half mile a warmup, and then you only have 2.6 to go!

I wrote some other recommendations on a blog post you can see here: http://kellysnormal.blogspot.com/2013/01/its-time-to-start-running.html

But in general, once you finish C25k you're ready for it!  Remember to pace yourself and keep to your jog, you are there to finish, not to race, like you said, so don't get caught up in the rush and go too fast!  Just relax and enjoy the experience of being able to run that far... you've earned it

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

• Kelly1066 Pro 109 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    3. Jul 10, 2013 7:45 AM (in response to carotello)

Fantastic, I hope you have a great race!

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points