Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4100 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2013 5:06 PM by Kelly1066 RSS
alancz Amateur 21 posts since
Aug 12, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 18, 2013 10:02 AM

Pissed off about Boston and want to do something!

I am over 50, over 200lbs. a tennis player, and a used to be"runner."  Have always been pretty active, biking, running,hiking, playing tennis etc...  lately have only been playing tennis, quitea bit.  Having done the C25k program in the past I was thinking aboutdoing it again and getting out the running shoes.  Then the bomb went offin Boston!  I usually say something like "these are senseless actsthat cause unspeakable tragedies, but there is nothing that I can do aboutit."  WELL, I AM SICK OF SAYING THAT!  I WANT TO DO SOMETHINGABOUT IT! BUT WHAT?  How about run the Boston Marathon next year? 

So I dusted off the running shoes, pulled up the C25K programand started the journey yesterday.  Will I do it?  Can I do it? I'm sure I don't know. I usually do well until the winter months and end upstopping running mainly because of the darkness and then there always seems tobe good reasons not to start up again the following spring, and those reasonskeep getting easier to succumb to the older I get.  HOWEVER, if there areothers doing this with me, on a common journey, with a common purpose and acommon goal - MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, WE CAN DO IT!

Interested?

• JayWelgan Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 18, 2013
    1. Apr 18, 2013 10:34 AM (in response to alancz)

It's weird around here, in the Boston metro. On my morning commute I used to see a few people out running, walking dogs, and the like. Now it's 10 to 20. I'm constantly stopping at cross walks too. People are responding just like you. I've been doing what I'm calling "5k a day", and used to be just a casual occasional runner. Suddenly form and breathing are a lot more important, hence why I'm here. No training, etc., but Boston is my goal too. 3:10 for qualifying sounds scary when I can barely do 5k in 40 minutes, but day 2 was 5 minutes faster than day 1, and no injuries to report yet. Speed walkers are probably better, but with luck I'll be contemplating 25k soon too.

• Kelly1066 Pro 108 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    3. Apr 19, 2013 11:35 AM (in response to alancz)

I would love to see more people running as a response to this, that's great, and what powerful motivation.

I decided that one of the things I would do was donate blood, as a reminder to myself that I do have power to do something good in the world.  Then my blood drive that I made an appointment at was cancelled today because Boston is in lockdown.  I will reschedule.  I will run more.  My husband, who ran Boston this year and finished before the explosions, will run Boston again.

I am hoping people will be inspired to act and to do something to make the world more the place it should be, as well as keep on running.  wrote a blog post about it here:

http://kellysnormal.blogspot.com/2013/04/response-to-boston-marathon-tragedy-be.html

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

• OneRun4Boston Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 24, 2013
    4. Apr 24, 2013 1:25 PM (in response to alancz)
    Re: Pissed off about Boston and want to do something!

When I first heard about the bombings, I was shocked and deeply saddened for those who lost their life and for those who were severely injured and lost limbs.  I, almost, lost a leg in a car accident back in 95; I was hit by a car as a pedestrian.  Fast forward 18 years, and this happens at the most revered marathon in our country and I immediately felt, "I have to do something"; so I have organzied a Unity Run Fundraiser to collect donations for all the victims deeply afftected by this horrible tragedy and honor those who are no longer with us.

We are asking 'runners' (and walkers) from everywhere, to Join us on May 11th and go on a Run4Boston.  We have set up a FB page with more info:

www.facebook.com/pages/Lets-Run4Boston/508271539221146

Let's Run For Those Who No Longer Can!

Peace and Healing,

Mb

• CLeeRun Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 7, 2011
    5. Apr 24, 2013 4:30 PM (in response to alancz)

I had the same reaction watching the events in Boston. I ran Boston in 2004 but since then I've let my running slip. I had all the same excuses you had. I'm also over 50 and overweight and feeling like my best running days are behind me.

But then I watched how some of the victims have responded to the injuries that have changed their lives and all my excuses seemed inexcusable.

I can run. Lucky me. So I will run and now I can't find a reason why I shouldn't run my best.

Every run, every race, every marathon.

• JaniceCurry-Everts Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 2, 2013
    6. Apr 28, 2013 9:10 AM (in response to alancz)

I so love this post.  Prior to Boston I had signed up for a half marthon for October.  What happened in Boston has made me more determined than over to compete/complete it.  I walked the race in 2010 and wanted to be able to run it this time. 

I hear people ask all the time why anyone would want to run a full or half marathon.  I always answer because I can.  That answer is even more true now.

I start training tomorrow and plan to be ready in October to run

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    7. Apr 28, 2013 12:06 PM (in response to alancz)

A lot of runners have been participating in local memorial events, and wearing memorial bibs during training or race events.  I think the important thing is that we have been united to show support, respect and determination.  There really has been an amazing and hopeful response to the tragedy. 

Here are some sites with print options:

http://www.runjunkees.com/

http://www.races2remember.com/PrintBib.php?bib=BOSTON2013

I also saw a poem that was truly inspirational:

Do not challenge runners,

We defined perseverance

Do not question the resolve of athletes,

We know the answer is always endurance

Do not underestimate the courage of American leaders,

We were built on resiliency

Do not wonder about the future of the Boston Marathon,

We will always survive the next mile

Do not worry about this country,

We are the United States and we will prevail

• Kelly1066 Pro 108 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    14. Jul 3, 2013 5:06 PM (in response to alancz)

I just donated blood last week for the second time since Boston... the events of the marathon made me really think about finding a way to be thankful and give forward.  My husband ran Boston, and every time I donate I'll think of him and how lucky I am that nothing happened to him.

Keep running, for you, because you can!

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...