Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3931 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2013 6:32 PM by GBOROWSKI RSS
carotello Amateur 20 posts since
Jun 3, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 18, 2013 5:53 PM

C25K first timer - diary of my journey to Week 8

Hello all,

I started C25K six  weeks ago, and I have been keeping a brief journal or each week's  experience. This has served me as a hind-sight motivator.
I have to  say the progress I feel in my body is extraordinary, and more rewarding  than any exercise routine I have ever attempted. I only wish I had done  this sooner.

I wanted to share this with other newbies in the hopes  that someone might find it encouraging, since I was looking for all  kinds of encouragement when I got started. I am hoping I can continue  adding to it as I continue with the program.
A little about me: I am overweight, about 50  excess lbs, 35 years old, asthmatic, insulin resistant (I have PCOS),  and hate gyms. I was an athlete until I left high school, and then  became pretty inactive and accumulated the pounds and health issues over  the years.

Recently I had a medical awakening and decided to change my  ways and take care of my body. I decided to give C25K a try, since I  have always wanted to run but every time I have tried I have ended up  injured and defeated. Two of my friends who are runners told me about  barefoot running and C25K, and I gave myself the challenge to train  myself in both at the same time. I figured if I was going to start  running, I might as well do it in a way that felt right to me (I am a  natural ball of the foot striker). It has been six weeks, and I have  felt improvement in every possible way.

Here is the diary of my journey so far:

Week 1:

Very difficult. Asthma was bad all three  days and I was forced to use my inhaler before and after the exercise  routine. The first minute of running felt impossibly hard, and felt the  certainty I would drop dead. Third day was a little better, but I am  still arriving home after the run almost unable to walk. I hobble around the rest of each day, and I definitely need the weekend to recover.

Week 2:

Still difficult. Asthma is bad and now I  am experiencing cramps as well. Very difficult to walk normally for the  rest of the day after an exercise day. No shin splints, but the calves  are murdering me. They are so tight and painful going up stairs and  walking on heels at work is murder for the entire week. I have a sudden onset of an irresistible desire to eat healthier. I start noticing that when I pig out the day before, my run sucks, so I start eating smaller meals, and more fruits and vegetables. I also start drinking much more water this week.

Week 3:

Less difficult, not running out of breath so  much, but cramping BADLY on the calves. I run through the cramps, but I am miserable. I am also experiencing a weird numbing of my  foot towards the end of the last 3 minute interval or jogging on Day 1  and 2. Day 2 is so bad that I barely manage to complete the routine and  hobble home barefoot in an attempt to feel my foot again. I consult some  people in the forums and friends, and they recommend hydrating more, icing, and rolling the  muscle. I also increase the length of my stretch routine. This seems to do the trick, because Day 3 I experience for the  first time what runners describe as that joyful carefree running stride  they feel they can keep forever. Day 3 actually feels pretty amazingly  like a big breakthrough and I am not counting the minutes until ending  each jogging interval. I finish on a pretty high note, and I actually  feel literally "high". I giggle while I jog home on the last stretch. Like a crazy person.

Week 4:

Amazingly, my calves seem to  have decided to just stop hurting. They feel sore in a "normal  exercising muscle" sort of way, and the only minor struggle is my  breathing. I seem to just be unable to get a full breath in towards the  end of each 5 minute interval. Since Day 3 doesn't seem to change much, I  decide to repeat this week next week until my lungs catch up with my  progress. Amazingly, I have lost 10 lbs. My dog, Marzipan is 10 lbs, so I  tell myself I was running with an entire Marzipan on my arms, and now I  am not. The dog gets heavy after holding her for 10 minutes, so I have a  hard time imagining running with her ON ME. I feel much better through  the day. I dream of how much easier it will get once I shed more Marzipans.

Week 5:

Repeating Week 4 and boy what a  difference. By Day 3 I feel much better about the whole thing, and  while I have to dig a little deep to get myself to finish that last 5  minute stretch, I am totally capable of doing it. I throw in a little  extra 3 minutes in the end the last day. I feel good. Breathing is still  hard, but I am just able to finish the 5 minutes, so I am confident  next week I'll do even better. Calves feel great. Feet feel great. No  Shin issues. I feel much more relaxed in the act of jogging, and I am  picking up a little bit of speed naturally.

Week 6:

Since I repeated Week 4, This  is technically Week 5 of the program. After a hike on Sunday, Monday I  feel terrible because I just got my period (sorry if this is TMI, but it happens). I  decide to postpone my run and take a walk instead. I completed Day 1 on  Tuesday, and I felt great. I complete my 5 minute intervals, and I am  actually fairly confident I can do the 8 minutes next time, and I am  actually looking forward to it. I am starting to strangely love every  little nook and bit of road of my neighborhood route. I feel great. No  inhaler needed today.
...More to come

• GBOROWSKI Amateur 8 posts since
    Jul 3, 2013
    2. Jul 3, 2013 6:31 PM (in response to carotello)
    C25K first timer - diary of my journey to Week 6

Great Job! I finished W5D2 over 2 weeks ago and been reluctant to move on to W5D3 (20 minutes running). I will try to complete this by Monday and should be moving on to W6 with you. Keep up the good work!

• CamaroZ28c Expert 45 posts since
    Jul 2, 2012
    3. Jul 5, 2013 8:36 AM (in response to carotello)

Keep it up guys!  You are both doing great.  GB, don't worry about that big 20 minute run.  You'll surprise yourself with how well you'll do.  I know it had me worried when I got to that point in C25k, but it ended up being a great moment in the program.

C25k completed 7/27/2012

1st 5k: Alert Road Race 6/15/2013 - 34 minutes

Jul 3, 2013
    5. Jul 11, 2013 7:08 PM (in response to carotello)

I finally completed W5D3, 20 minute run with no stops. Feel great and ready to start W6d1. I also went to Radio Shack and got the heart rate monitor for my iPhone 5, works great and adds additional data to my progress. "Camaroz28" you were 100% correct!

• Kelly1066 Pro 112 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    7. Jul 12, 2013 10:41 AM (in response to carotello)

That's great, congrats!  I love the idea of keeping a journal of each week.  I kept track of my progress, and did a lot of reflecting back on the program right after I finished and when I ran my first 5k, but I don't have a good record of how I felt each week and now that I'm a year out from Couch to 5k I kind of wish I did!  I still remember a lot, but it'd be nice to read back to this and have such a real sense of progress, like you do!

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

• Kelly1066 Pro 112 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    9. Jul 16, 2013 11:02 AM (in response to carotello)

Love it!  That's such a great feeling when you work hard and get to see the progress and earn the confidence that you can do it come race day.  Can't wait to hear how your first 5k goes, I wish I could go back and do mine all over again!

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

Jul 3, 2013
    10. Jul 17, 2013 12:35 PM (in response to Kelly1066)

Just finished Week 6 Day 3, on to Week 7. 2.75 miles in 33:38, avg speed 4.9 (Walking included start / cool) You're doing great "Carotello"

• GJorgenson Amateur 18 posts since
    May 1, 2012
    12. Jul 18, 2013 8:00 PM (in response to carotello)
    C25K first timer - diary of my journey to Week 8

Great job carotello - hope I can get to where you are!!!  Currently just finished week 2.  Will enjoy seeing how your 5K goes.  Whatever you decide to do after this (speedwork, longer distance), just remember to add new things slowly and always keep it fun!!!

Gary

Jul 3, 2013
    13. Jul 24, 2013 6:32 PM (in response to carotello)

at "carotello" just finished W7, starting W8 tomorrow morning. I had the same question "what will come after", I even started a new post titled " After C25K W8D3 Then What? " Since beginning I to lost several pounds (Approx 35 lbs), feel like I have more energy, and the aches & pains (shin splints / knee) arent as bad as they were early on. Congrats on all your accomplishments! at "GJorgenson" I agree with what you wrote "just remember to add new things slowly and always keep it fun"

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...