Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

963 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2013 10:04 AM by carotello
DivaBelle Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 5, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 5, 2013 9:30 AM

Newbie C25K-er

So let me give u guys the run down of myself:

Wife/mom of 3

34yrs old

4' 9.5"

118lbs

Admin assist

1/2 time college student

Former ballerina...stopped abt 14yrs ago due to kids

Baby factory is closed...trying to get my body back though this program would be good for that.

So I just completed W2D3 and IDK if Im cut out for this. I did W1 and did very well...even enjoyed it. Started W2 off w/ a bang and it went slowly downhill from there.mI'm way too scared to start W3. My hubby is doing C25K as well but since he is a former runner he has been doing the program his own way. He says W1 is way too short for him so he runs through the walks. So every other jog/walk combo he runs through it and walks 1 walk in btwn. I so envy his stanmina.  So my problem is w/ W2 I was praying though each jog for it to end. Could barely make it to the end of each jog and was thanking God, out loud and making others LOL around me for doing so, that the walk prompt came up. I just dont think I am cut out to be a "runner" and I am afraid of failing W3. Any suggestions of how to get through this feeling...this slump? It would be greatly appreciated!

• RobinfromMaine Pro 162 posts since
    Dec 6, 2008
    1. Jul 5, 2013 3:54 PM (in response to DivaBelle)
    Newbie C25K-er

S-l-o-w   d-o-w-n. If it feels like too much work during the run segments, you're pushing yourself too hard

You CAN do this.

Robin

• Kelly1066 Pro 133 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    2. Jul 6, 2013 10:31 AM (in response to DivaBelle)
    Newbie C25K-er

Slowing down is great advice - and also know that getting into shape isn't always fun, but it's totally worth it.  I remember the first weeks of C25k, and every time I was running I kind of wanted to stop also... but if I just kept asking myself if I HAD to stop, or if I could just keep going a little longer, I always found I could continue.  I think it's really important to keep your jog slow enough so you're able to complete the runs, like Robin said.

I'm similar to you in that I've got two children, grew up doing ballet (just recreationally) but never developed a real aerobic capacity.  I think a lot of people wonder if they're cut out to be runners because increasing your aerobic endurance is such a challenging thing in the beginning, but trust me, you can do it.  I started C25k when my youngest was only four months old, and I have to say it really is a great way to get rid of the baby weight, have more energy, and just FEEL better.

Go for it, and I think you'll be really glad you did.  It's completely normal to find the program really challenging - that doesn't mean it won't get easier.  I can run three miles and have a conversation now... I never quite believed at the beginning of C25k a year ago that I could ever do something like that.  It's a great journey that's worth the effort.

I remember repeating a couple of the C25k workouts because I wasn't prepared for the next one, that's another way to get through a slump... maintain for a week, and then push forward.

Good luck!

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

• SharonLMT Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 8, 2013
    3. Jul 8, 2013 9:33 AM (in response to DivaBelle)
    Newbie C25K-er

I just did Wk 2 day 1, I did find it a little more challenging but I find the workouts over as fast as they started. I did feel close to my limit but fortunately for me it was the last running segment. As a massage therapist I suggest you get a massage, see if your quads, glutes, hamstrings and calves are in good shape, you may be very suprised as to how a good sport massage can increase your range of motion, making it easier and less painful. By the way my case is that I am very overweight and need to be healthier, I run at MY pace, may be slow to some but it works for me!

• carotello Amateur 20 posts since
    Jun 3, 2013
    4. Jul 8, 2013 10:04 AM (in response to DivaBelle)
    Newbie C25K-er

Slowing down is important, like everyone said. I totally understand what you mean when you say you are praying to God for the jogging portions to end. I personally felt like I would certainly DIE every last second of the jogging bits.

I am now on Week 7, and I rejoice in the fact that six weeks ago I could barely jog more than a minute. Believe that it is incredible what your body can do, and that it is capable of improving super quickly! It's amazing!

Mentally, these were the things that helped me:

- Not think about anything beyond the day at hand. Try not to make the mistake of stressing out about the entire upcoming week, just focus on the upcoming day.

- Instead of keeping your eyes on the watch, focus on the road. Become acquainted with every little rock, leaf, tree, whatever. I found that if I took each workout as a little adventure/discovery, I wasn't so hung up on the time and the next switch. Listening to music helps too.

- Think of the physical advantages you have over other people who have done this. I am about 50 lbs overweight. This is obviously a hurdle, but once I saw 70 year olds outrunning me, and watched a one legged woman running one day, I shook off any pity or concern I had for my own situation and just focused on how this is making me better. You are a former ballerina, so you understand discipline and the pain of physical effort. Embrace that knowledge of your own body, and focus on the positive: imagine how much better you will become each week.

- Don't listen to/pay attentionto/envy your husband. Clearly if he is able to run through the walking intervals he isn't a good candidate for this program. He is probably a little ahead physically, and that's totally fine. But this is about you and nobody else. Don't measure yourself through the strengths of others. Trust me: YOU WILL GET BETTER AND SURPRISE YOURSELF.

Finally: have fun!!!

I try to do a little cheering for myself after I am done jogging, and I end up falling apart in giggles.

I hope those help!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points