Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1008 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2013 10:37 AM by C213 RSS
Frankiepals Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 5, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 5, 2013 8:24 PM

I'm an addict

I can't believe how much I have come to enjoy running.  In the past I had nothing but detest and hatred for running.  In bootcamp I absolutely dreaded running, although it was an integral part of the expierience.  Recently however, while hitting the gym I decided to get on the treadmill before every workout, and have not been able to stop since then.  I run in the morning, afternoon, and night.  There's nothing at all like it for me.  I listen to my feet pound the pavement, my labored but controlled breathing, and the absolute peaceful sheet that seems to cover the world while I'm running through it.  I've never felt this kind of mental clarity before, and the physical transformation isn't too shabby either.  I want to run marathons and participate in any event I can.  Where has this been all my life??

This is probably the corniest thing I've ever written, but are there others out there that feel this way?  Anyone else as addicted to this painful, horrible, wonderfully rewarding hobby??  Of course everyone here runs, but I'd like to hear your take on the matter, and why you love it so much.  Shared motivation always inspires me.

• SWellen930 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 6, 2013
    1. Jul 6, 2013 5:19 PM (in response to Frankiepals)
    I'm an addict

Agreed. I only just started after being resistant to joining my many neighbors who run 5Ks all the way through marathons. Only on week 4 of couch to 5K In preparation for my first race in August. What I thought I hated I have come to enjoy way beyond what I expected. Getting up at 5 and tying on my sneakers in the near dark is a precious thing to do, knowing I'm going out to challenge myself and do something good for just me.

• Kelly1066 Pro 122 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    2. Jul 7, 2013 10:39 AM (in response to Frankiepals)
    I'm an addict

I'm with you... it's made a huge difference in my energy level, mood, metabolism, and just quality of life.  It even fixed a problem I had with one hip from carrying my toddler around... I notice myself getting stiff if I take a few days off from running, but running fixes it every time.  I even sleep better.  I have to schedule runs even on vacations now because otherwise I'm just not as happy... never in a million years would have thought I'd be the type! 

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jul 19, 2013 8:10 PM (in response to Frankiepals)
    I'm an addict

I was never a runner until I came here, I love how I feel after a run

• C213 Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 2, 2013
    4. Aug 2, 2013 10:37 AM (in response to Frankiepals)
    I'm an addict

I am slowly getting addicted. I am training for a 1/2 Marathon with a few 5Ks in between. I really need to stay motivated to lose some stubborn belly fat.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...