Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2964 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2013 1:53 PM by GJorgenson RSS 1 2 Previous Next
GJorgenson Amateur 18 posts since
May 1, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 5, 2013 1:30 PM

Decided to take the plunge!

Well, I have decided to start the C25K program this coming Sunday or Monday (7/7 or 7/8).  Family is going fishing with my dad this weekend, so don't know if I will feel like starting Sunday night, but not too sure about the M-W-F thing either, especially the Friday thing...seems like too many other things may get in the way.

Anyway, a bit about me - 45 yo, 5'7", about 155 lbs,  ran distance in track and cross country through junior high and high school, and even ran a bit on my own through college (well, being in ROTC and the National Guard helped with that somewhat!).  Got lazy after college, but started mountain biking about 5 years ago.  Don't ride as much as I would like because of the time it can take, so decided I wanted to try running again.  Not sure how to explain it, I am definately not in shape, but not totally out of shape either.  A couple of weeks ago I did a gravel road ride put on by the local bike shop and we covered 160 miles over 4 days.  You are probably saying, why are you starting the C25K then, sounds like you are in shape?  I can tell you right now that I couldn't run a mile if I had to!!!  I think it is a combination of different exercise, different muscles, whatever, but I am pretty sure I couldn't run a mile.  I do walk for about 45 minutes 4 days a week over my lunch hour, but that doesn't really get my heart rate up.

So, anyway, if you are wanting to start soon (or have started) and want a group to join, feel free to post in here for support, updates, questions, etc.  If someone else already has a thread started that has recently started, point me in that direction and I will join that group.  I will post back in here on Sunday or Monday once I have the first day out of the way....looking forward to getting back into running after all these years!!!

Gary J.

• Haselsmasher Legend 507 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    2. Jul 8, 2013 8:44 PM (in response to GJorgenson)

My $.02:

*  It seems to me doing your normal walks on days you run, if that is what you'd like to do, would be just fine.

*  Overall I wouldn't get hung up with Chi Running right now - at least not the details.  The principles of run tall, short strides, "falling forward" I think are good to think about some when you're running - at this stage.  But beyond that it seems to me your brain could get overloaded pretty quickly - since you're also dealing with C25K timings and such.  The things I mention are pretty common to all of the "packaged running forms".  The other components become unique to different programs and are the finer points - and consequently take more concentration - than the major ones.

Have fun!

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• Haselsmasher Legend 507 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    4. Jul 8, 2013 9:39 PM (in response to GJorgenson)

Hi Gary:

Given you commented on sitting much of the day........

A variety of sources are finding that with the advent of computers and such, and as not only do more and more people sit, but they sit ALL THE TIME, it's causing huge issues with our glutes.  They're chronically stretched, and they don't get used.  The hips and glutes play HUGE foundational roles in walking, running and balance.  And if they're not working well all sorts of issues can come up further down the leg - because the big muscles above aren't doing their job.

Therefore - my point is that it's good to get up and walk relatively frequently through the day if you can.  My PT says the majority of the problems he sees are rooted in the fact that peoples' glutes aren't working well.

So keep walking!

Good luck with the program.

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• SarahHoeller Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2013
    6. Jul 9, 2013 2:13 PM (in response to GJorgenson)

I started the program yesterday too!  I am limited on time right but I'll post on my background and progress later.  Keep us posted on your progress!  Maybe this community can keep us motivated! 

• Kelly1066 Pro 109 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    10. Jul 16, 2013 6:45 AM (in response to GJorgenson)

That's great!  Have you signed up for a 5k race yet?  The best part about starting C25k in July (which I did last year) is that the weather gets cooler towards the completion of the program and you can potentially sign up for a gorgeous September 5k and really enjoy a nice run in early fall to celebrate completing the program.  I definitely recommend signing up for a race if you haven't, it's really fun to have something to work towards and look forward to at the end of the program!

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    14. Aug 12, 2013 10:03 AM (in response to GJorgenson)

Hey Gary, congratulations on making it this far into the program; now that your confidence is up (as is your level of conditioning), you might want to consider looking for an interesting 5K to sign up for.

FWIW, last week I ran my first 5K in 34 years (although no where as quickly as I did in 1979).  I'm thinking given I'm 11 years older, only an inch taller, and am carrying around an easy 50 pounds more than you, if I can run a 5K, you could easily run that same distance even though you're only in W6. 

Keep us posted, and let us know when you take the rest of the plunge and run a race. 

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...