Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1040 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2013 8:45 PM by SydnieS RSS
SydnieS Rookie 4 posts since
May 3, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 1, 2013 9:38 PM

Back of heel pain, achilles tightness

Recently developed a burning / tightness in back of heel, Achilles area during first 1/2 mile into a run... Pain goes away during run... Is tight in am or after sitting for a long time.. There has not been swelling... Mild tenderness back of heel after run...  No loss of strength issues... Weight bering excercises dont bother...No problem next days.. Any advice is appreciated. Training for boston 2014.  Should I be concerned?  Do not think it is planters   Thanks

• Haselsmasher Legend 513 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    1. Jul 2, 2013 5:07 AM (in response to SydnieS)

You should be concerned to the extent you take action to address the issue.  I most definitely would not ignore it.

If it's stiff in the morning as well as after sitting that generally points to tendonitis.

If the pain is on the back of the heel down by the bone you might check out calcaneal bursitis.  If the pain is up more in the tendon then check out Achilles Tendonitis.

Be careful about continued running making it worse.  I'm not saying stop running.  If you don't have a foam roller I would get one and use it on your calves A LOT.  If you can loosen up the calves it should reduce the tension on the Achilles.  If you stretch at all I would do it very VERY lightly.  The foam roller is much more effective at loosening things up (IMHO) and won't put tension on tendon.

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• JesseMacRunner Amateur 18 posts since
    Jul 3, 2013
    2. Jul 3, 2013 12:25 PM (in response to SydnieS)

I agree that this could possibly be achilles tendonitis.  But it sounds much like clasic plantar fascitis. 

Either way, you should be concerned.

Causes can be from a variety of reasons, but having tight calves/achilles is usually a major reason.  I highly recommend that you stretch your calves often and roll the arches of your foot with a golf ball.  I actually will be writing a blogpost about plantar fascitis on my running blog in the next few days.

Coach Jesse

Running Programs

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,391 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Jul 3, 2013 8:52 PM (in response to SydnieS)

I had a pain like this in the past.  I never figured out what it was but eventually it went away as I worked on a midfoot strike. (I was not completely successful at that either.)  I still get hints of the same pain ocassionally.  The podiatrist I saw insisted it was plantar fasciitis, but I had that before and it felt completely different so I doubt that's what it was.  He also gave me a cortisone shot in one heel (which was much worse than the other) and that helped for maybe a week but then it was back.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points