Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

810 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2013 8:13 PM by flamomof3 RSS
Roxierunswithme Rookie 5 posts since
Jul 10, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 10, 2013 8:11 PM

Just completed w7d2

Is it just me or is the mid week run the hardest? Wow! I also noticed I run faster on the bike path than I do the the street. C25k seems to work......I remember thinking I'll never make it for 5 minutes. Now I can run for 25 minutes...! Right now, I can run 2 miles nonstop. My first 5k is in 4 weeks. Hoping I can get that other mile by then.

• GJorgenson Amateur 18 posts since
    May 1, 2012
    1. Jul 11, 2013 5:32 AM (in response to Roxierunswithme)
    Just completed w7d2

Keep up the great work - not much further to go!!!

Gary

• carotello Amateur 20 posts since
    Jun 3, 2013
    2. Jul 11, 2013 10:27 AM (in response to Roxierunswithme)
    Just completed w7d2

I'm on the same day as you. I ran yesterday, W7D2. For me the first three weeks were still the hardest. Now the only challenge for me is breathing. I get pretty winded at around 15 minutes and it's a struggle from there.

I am also pretty sore. It helped to ice my legs last night.

I am totally there with you on being somewhat amazed that this thing works and fairly quickly too! Seven weeks ago I never thought I'd be able to run more than two blocks.

Look at us now!!!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,276 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Jul 11, 2013 8:57 PM (in response to Roxierunswithme)
    Just completed w7d2

The Air Force Marathon at Wright-Patterson?  Here's the web site: http://www.usafmarathon.com/.  I haven't done it but friends who have say it is very flat.  In any event, don't worry about hills for your 1st or go out of your way to train on hills.  It's really not worth worrying about.  Accept that if there are hills you will have to slow down going up.

Len

• Kelly1066 Pro 108 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    5. Jul 12, 2013 10:43 AM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Just completed w7d2

Just another note on hills - I've even walked up hills during a race because I realized that I walked up them faster than I was running up them because they were so steep.  I try to run them in training runs to get stronger and then evaluate carefully based on steepness when it's a race day!  I walked up a section of a hill for my fastest 5k PR and still broke 30 minutes, not sure I would have if I'd extended the energy running it.

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

• justamaniac Pro 138 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    6. Jul 14, 2013 7:27 AM (in response to Kelly1066)
    Just completed w7d2

Here are two little tricks that I use on hills that work for me:

1)   I imagine that there is a fine wire attached to the midpoint of my hips leading to the top of the hill. This subconsciously makes me get my hips forward (I don't want to rip the wire out of my skin...), and coupled with the fact that I'm leaning ever so slightly forward, I find that as long as my legs are moving (to keep me from falling) that I will make it up that hill.  I literally imagine that taunt wire - and I have to keep up or else the wire pullling against my abdomen will hurt.  Subtle, but it works.

2) the second trick, in conjunction with the first, is to tell myself that when I get to the top of the hill I can ease up and maybe even walk a bit.  99.9% of the time once I have crested the hill there is either a slight downhill or at least a flat area and I feel instant physical relief - and I am able to keep pumping along without easing up...

Somewhat separately, I have also learned to never let up on effort until I have crested the hill.  You know that feeleing...  you are almost to the top and you start to ease up, making those last few feet even harder.  Don't give up until it's done...  it makes it so much easier!

-bill

http:/runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Jul 19, 2013 8:13 PM (in response to Roxierunswithme)
    Just completed w7d2

Good Luck! You have been training for it and you will fine

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points