Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7631 Views 26 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2013 10:50 AM by shipo Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • ydiez Pro 141 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Feb 27, 2013 2:44 AM (in response to deanscox)
    My Quest For "Running My Birth Year" in a 5K

As usual, congratulations on your improvements! (63 seconds are a lot of seconds in a 5k!)

I would advice going easy on injuries, rest and if you absolutely "have to" run do it slowly. Once this is done, you can probably benefit from increasing your weekly mileage (again, build up slowly) and do some speed work in order to increase your pace awareness and get more comfortable with the distance.

I would suggest considering taking up swimming. It is often overlooked as a cross training exercise for runners but it will help you improve your lung capacity and will give you a much less agressive exercise to do for those days when your legs could use some rest from running.

I have not had much experience with strength training, but I did some core training and thought it had a noticeable effect.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time! The goal is set for March 15th (tentatively at 3h20min, but it sound like science fiction at the moment so I might adjust it down).

• AndyDavis20 Amateur 10 posts since
    Jan 31, 2013
    19. May 13, 2013 10:24 AM (in response to deanscox)

I have a similar goal although it is to just break 20:00 in a 5K.  Have you had anyone look at your form?  I was slowly inching my way down...29:57, 28-something, 27-something, 26:18 then I started "natural running" and just started lopping off time during my training runs.  I still don't have it down pat but my first 5K only a week after starting it was 23:47.  Later I shaved 15 minutes off my Half PR *while cramping for the last 4 miles*.  I'm talking, for the last two miles of it, every other block I was leaned on a tree working out a cramp and still blew my old PR away. 

Form is extremely important and I suspect overlooked by most if not all new-ish runners.  Both for speed and injury prevention.

• AndyDavis20 Amateur 10 posts since
    Jan 31, 2013
    21. May 15, 2013 10:11 AM (in response to deanscox)

I bought a pair of Newtons for myself over Christmas.  They came with instructions lol.  I thought that was kind of wierd, everyone already knows how to run.  But I tried the instructions and the results aren't even really debate-able.

There's lots of info out there on it (just google "natural running") and I am far from an expert but what I took away from it is:

1) Don't overstride - your feet should land directly under your center of gravity.  If you keep your head level, pointed at the horizon, you should not be able to crank your eyeballs down and ever see your feet.

2) This will increase your cadence which it should.  From what I've read good runners shoot for 180 steps/minute which is 3 steps/second.  NOT what I had envisioned when I started running distances.

3) This is the hardest part for me - you lean forward at the ankles (not the waist) and I would describe it as basically a constant controlled forward fall.  I still have trouble doing it correctly on flat or especially downhill surfaces but it seems like I've got it when going uphill.  Its almost like I can't go fast enough yet to do it right otherwise.  I'm at the point where I think I probably need some coaching.

4) Another way to think of it is your legs should be *pushing* you forward never pulling.  Don't reach out and pull, but land underneath your center pf gravity and push off.  You should land mid/fore-foot (some would argue landing on your heel is still OK, I dunno), your heel lightly bounces off the ground and then you push off.

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    26. Aug 12, 2013 10:50 AM (in response to deanscox)
    Re: My Quest For "Running My Birth Year" in a 5K

Hey Dean,

Great log and amazing progress, I'm impressed.

Regarding yoru disappointment on your 04-Jul race when the OAT was 95; don't discount how much heat can impact your time, heat is a time killer as your body pumps much more blood than normal to the surface of your skin for cooling, and that means less blood/oxygen for your muscles.

I too was born in one of those years you can run (1957), and while I'm not a new runner by any stretch, I am newly back into running after nearly 20 years of career and family responsibilities seriously impacting my "me" time.  I started running again this last April when I was roughly 250 pounds (I'm only 5'8"), and have managed to lose some 40+ pounds; this last Thursday I ran my first 5K in 34 years.  While it is a given that my 16:20 5K days are decades gone, I was encouraged enough my my time last week to wonder to myself if I could "run my birth year", and then I found this thread; go figure.

My goal for next year is to "place" in a large race, and if I had run a 19:57 last Thursday at the Cigna/Elliot (Manchester, NH) 5K (with some 5,500 participants), I would have finished 3rd in my age group (Men's 55-59).

Keep us posted on your progress to your ultimate 19:59 goal. 

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...