Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2969 Views 51 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2007 2:08 PM by katiewillrunit 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
katiewillrunit Rookie 122 posts since
Aug 31, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 31, 2007 10:54 AM

Is anyone else at Week 3 of C25K right now?

Hello!

I've been a lurker for a little while and I wanted to start posting to keep my honest to the program!

I had been looking for a way to start running forever but always tried too much too fast (run for 5 minutes walk for 5 minutes) and immediately failed. The C25K program is really helping me get comfortable with running.

I want to know if anyone else is at this week at this time? Or close? How are you guys handling your breathing? Are you worried about the later weeks or just concentrating on today?

I just did W3D1 last night and I'm psyched to keep going - can't wait to talk to other people about it!

Katie

• macd019 Pro 709 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Aug 31, 2007 1:01 PM (in response to katiewillrunit)
    Re: Is anyone else at Week 3 of C25K right now?

Hi Katie,

I started in mid-late July, but at W4 took most of the next 2 weeks off to help my daughters move. Since getting back a week ago, I have not completed a W4 run yet, so I am aiming to get comfortable with that level before I move on. Hopefully that will happen next week, so I am at about the same point as you.

Stamina has always been a big problem for me, but it seems to be increasing gradually as I continue the program. It would be nice to shed some of my extra weight on the program, but my main motivation is fitness. I don't have much trouble with the breathing, but I take it very sloooowly...

Welcome, and good luck on reaching your goals!

Deb

Dec 14, 2007
    3. Aug 31, 2007 4:16 PM (in response to katiewillrunit)

I'm running on a treadmill because it's too hot & humid for me outside right now, and I'm really not ready to be seen yet    I'm "running" at 13-14 mm, so I do mean slow. Occasionally I crank it up faster, but I can't sustain the pace very long.

Most people seem to go by time rather than distance when they're starting out, which is what I'm doing. The distance will come as my endurance and pace improve. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Good luck--sounds like you are coming right along!

• torresluna6 Rookie 12 posts since
    Sep 4, 2007
    4. Aug 31, 2007 5:03 PM (in response to katiewillrunit)

I just finished and will be running my first 5k tomorrow. It was hard not to think about the coming week, and its longer intervals. I had to work hard at just focusing on the day at hand and picture myself at the end of the workout feeling accomplished. I surprised myself. I started each new week thinking this was the week I was going to die. I ended each week still alive and in awe at what I accomplished. I can now run 30 minutes, not easily, but I finish it. Good luck!

• camplate Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 31, 2007
    5. Aug 31, 2007 5:39 PM (in response to katiewillrunit)

I hope someone serious can post a reply to this thread. I started C25K 5 weeks ago. I doubled up on week one. I will do W4D1 Sept. 1. I am planning on doing it every other day, going on a two week vacation Sept 13, and then restarting at W3, 4 or 5 when I get back.

But my main question is about the numbers. I cannot help it, scientist at heart. I just can't do something and have someone say, 'Do what you feel! It's all for fun!' I look at the chart and converted the numbers to upper limits. W4D1 says Jog 1/4 mile or 3 minutes, Walk 1/8 mile or 90 seconds. It's the same speed! Am I jogging too fast? Should pick a pace where I either walk or run? I'd rather have it be a range of speeds or a percentage. Something that says, if you were jogging at 4MPH in W1, you should be at 4.2MPH for W5 and 4.4 for W9. And don't say there should not be an increase, because the numbers increase.

I know it is designed to get me off the couch. I know I should forget the numbers...but I can't.

And really jumping the gun...what is next? Do W9 for a year? Start back at W5 each month and increase the MPH by some amount?

While I am ranting, how much stretching does everyone do? I try most on the stretching page, but that takes up 20 minutes. I know it is important, but does anyone but the serious runners stretch that much?

Thanks for listening.

• Fooseberry Rookie 51 posts since
    Aug 17, 2007
    6. Aug 31, 2007 10:47 PM (in response to katiewillrunit)

I am doing W2D3 tomorrow and I agree with the last poster- I try not to read too far ahead in the weeks. I read it at the start but now that I am attempting it I get too freaked out. I can't imagine that I will be running 3min next week. I run with my double stroller and 2 kids but next week the 4yo starts preschool so I am going to attempt to get some running done without the stroller and baby. I want to focus more on the longer running and not the baby crap.
    My muscles are achy but I can almost do the whole 90 second without swearing at my watch. I am happy to have the timer go off at 20 min though.
    I am proud to tell people I am attempting to be a runner but I really can't wait until I am a runner.

Also I measure my distance during the 20 min walk/run phase and I am a little over 14MM but I figure right now that is more walking than running so I am not too worried about the speed right now.
    Good Luck Next Week
    Jennifer

• Iontach Rookie 1,340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Dec 21, 2007 10:44 PM (in response to katiewillrunit)

quote:

Originally posted by camplate:

But my main question is about the numbers.

Forget about all of the numbers but one. That one is the time OR the distance. Pick one and stick to it.

The difference between running and walking is not speed - it's gait. All of us can run as slow as we can walk, so the relative speeds of the two are unimportant.

How fast should you be running your run bits? That's easy: run at a pace that allows you to talk out loud (or sing) as you go. That's the pace that your cardio-vascular system is comfortable with, and it's important, because that pace extends your endurance more than you would ever believe. I was amazed when I began. As you get fitter, you'll be able to run faster at the same perceived level of effort without even noticing it.

How fast should you walk? It doesn't matter, as long as you're not walking so fast that you don't recover enough for the run bits.

You should NOT be trying to increase your speed. That's the fastest and most efficient way for a newbie to get injured.

I gather you're running on a treadmill. Get a towel, and cover up the display so you can't see it.

As for what's next, a lot of people go on to the One Hour Runner[/URL" target="_blank"> program, and some to Hal Higdon's Spring Training[/URL" target="_blank">, or both, in that order.

Edited for errant fingers.

[http://This message has been edited by Iontach (edited Aug-31-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Iontach (edited Aug-31-2007).]

Dec 14, 2007

I did W4D1 this morning. Actually had done it nearly a month ago, then was away for 2 weeks and have had trouble getting back on track the past 2 weeks. Hopefully I will start building again from here!

September goal:  to stay on track with C25K?!

• jb944 Rookie 162 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Sep 5, 2007 11:21 AM (in response to katiewillrunit)

Hi, all.  Mind if I join in?

I did W3D1 yesterday at a slow pace and not too much trouble. I have had sore ankles and a knee acting up a bit, but went to the running store yesterday after work and got new shoes. Walked 3.9 miles in them this morning, and they felt much better.

I, too, have been freaked out by the increases each week, so I no longer look at them.  I'm using the podcasts and just follow the audio instructions rather than looking to see what I have to do.

• camplate Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 31, 2007
    14. Sep 5, 2007 12:07 PM (in response to katiewillrunit)

I am doing W4D3 tonight. I have reduced my speed just to keep in the spirit of things.

I am glad I found this training program. I tried running back in May after walking all spring. Just cranked it up to 5MPH figuring I'd run for 20 minutes. At 9 minutes I sounded and felt like an unbalanced washing machine. I was limping because of a bad knee, gasping for air, probably seconds from passing out. Now I have coinfidence I'll get to and pass 9 minutes easily.

Eight more days of workouts and then vacation. I started doing pushups and crunches on my off days. No weight loss, must be all the muscle I am building.

Still have stretching questions. While I understand it, I don't like the "walk for five minutes, stretch, and then do workout" concept. If it was in the morning I could agree with being stiff, but not in the afternoon.

Not all stretches feel right. Not hurting anything, just either that I am stretching nothing, or no doing it right.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...