Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

657 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2013 5:57 PM by ManuelRun
ManuelRun Amateur 12 posts since
Feb 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 21, 2013 8:12 PM

Suggestions Going Forward

So a brief history.  I ran my first 5K two years ago at 5'11" 240 lbs, got injured and quit running.  Finally started up again at the beginning of this year weighing 260.  Did a 5K in May and another a week ago.  My time a week ago was 43:27.  Very slow, but 4:29 faster than my time in May, so I was happy with the improvement. I'm down to 235 lbs. now.  I got here with the C25K and the B210K programs and some strength training.  I'm now doing 3 hour long runs a week (basically the end of the B210K) for an hour averaging between 14-15 minutes/mile giving me about 13 miles per week.  I vary my running routes, but haven't done many hills.  I'm also in the gym 2 days upper body and usually 2 days lower body.

I'm already signed up for another 5K in September and I'll probably do at least one more this year.  I'm also hoping to add 10K runs next year.  Of course, I'm also interested in continuing my weight loss.  So anyone have any suggestions for what to try next?  Add more time/distance to the runs I do now?  Do some interval training?  Other programs?  Add some hills?  Maintain the running I'm doing now for some time before trying something else?  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...