Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2076609 Views 11,391 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2014 7:25 AM by shipo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 725 726 727 728 729 ... 760 Previous Next
  • NubeRunnerHopefully Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 16, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,892. Jul 5, 2013 3:52 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

So I tried the C25K app and it works well. It is me that is not working well. I literally got shin splints minute 1 of day 1, pretty discouraging. I researched about the shin splints and found out most likely my shoes were crap. I went to a running store and they analyzed my walk and run. I was told I was a toe runner, which puts strain on my shins. Does anyone know of a way or some kind of trick that could help my gait? I bought new shoes and new arch support inserts, hoping I can make it past day 1 minute 1. Thanks

• NubeRunnerHopefully Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 16, 2013
    10,893. Jul 5, 2013 4:04 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Something else I was given to try with the shin splints was kinesiology therapeutic tape (tape worn by volleyball players during Olympics). Has anyone tried this tape?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,327 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    200+ Pound Club!

NubeRunnerHopefully wrote:

So I tried the C25K app and it works well. It is me that is not working well. I literally got shin splints minute 1 of day 1, pretty discouraging. I researched about the shin splints and found out most likely my shoes were crap. I went to a running store and they analyzed my walk and run. I was told I was a toe runner, which puts strain on my shins. Does anyone know of a way or some kind of trick that could help my gait? I bought new shoes and new arch support inserts, hoping I can make it past day 1 minute 1. Thanks

If you're doing what I think you are - running like you're tip-toeing down the road - you may indeed be putting more stress than usual on the shins, and probably calf muscles too. (I have occasionally seen people running like this in races.)  I can agree with Wideguy as far as trying different things. You might try a little barefoot running to see if you do it the same way. It might teach you a different footplant. A midfoot or forefoot plant lands on the ball of the foot, with the heel coming down very quickly (less heel contact for the forefoot plant), then the foot rolls forward and inward (pronates) to toe-off.  The whole foot landing and pronating is what spreads the load. Note that this is a brief and somewhat simplified explanation of what happens. When you land exclusively on your toes you are skipping most of the pronation and load-spreading part.  You may be able to teach yourself to change though it will probably be a slow process.

Len

• John Wickee Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 6, 2013
    10,896. Jul 10, 2013 6:22 PM (in response to SpartanJD01)
    200+ Pound Club!

SpartanJD01, I'm currently at 270 and am training for my first half marathon. Now, it is for the WDW Half in January, so I have some time, but my training so far has gone well. I am training using the Jeff Galloway Run Walk Run method and his plan from the runDisney site. Right now, I've already run 9.5 miles no problem using run walk method, though my last 11 mile run didnt go as well thanks to poor planning and prep on my part. If you aren't currently using the Jeff Galloway method, you may want to explore it for yourself. The plan for the half is 20 weeks, so that can also help you plan for if you think you can push it. But you're doing right, by listening to your body (or as far as I know as a still new runner).

• SpartanJD01 Amateur 22 posts since
    Aug 23, 2012
    10,897. Jul 11, 2013 1:21 PM (in response to John Wickee)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks John W.  I have decided to split the difference and go for a 15K on September 14 (9 weeks away) and run the New Orlean Rock n Roll Marathon on Feb. 2.  I will look into the run walk run method.  I have been steadily increasing my max but my pace is real slow.  Does the RWR method help with that?

• LoadRunner97201 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 12, 2013
    10,898. Jul 12, 2013 11:59 AM (in response to SpartanJD01)
    200+ Pound Club!

Spartan, I finished a full marathon a few months ago using Galloways RWR method. I was 230 on race day, I think. Could not have done it without RWR.

I was initially planning to just run/jog all the way, but when I did my first 10K, my knees and ankles were just killing me, so I switched to RWR to avoid hurting myself. Not only did I finish injury-free, I found that my overall pace actually got faster, because I was able to conserve energy for the latter part of the race, instead of fading.

Good luck. As John W said - push yourself, but listen to your body.

• revgum Legend 353 posts since
    May 14, 2010
    10,899. Jul 15, 2013 8:24 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Wideguy, way to keep this thread rolling.. and by the looks of it, still one of the top threads in Active! Woot!

To anyone starting/restarting running for weight loss.. patience and persistance pays off, don't rush into mileage or pace, give your body and mind time to strengthen. Clean eating and consistent practice pays off huge, the weight will drop and the pace will quicken on its own.. before long you'll look back and see your former self as unrecognizable in many ways.

What a great thread.. wow this really takes me back in time! Wideguy, who else is still posting from back in the 2010ish timeframe?

revgum @ RunKeeper / Facebook / Blog

325lb @ 2/1/2010 to 211lb @ 7/4/2011

Race History

• David A. York, ofs Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 12, 2012
    10,900. Jul 24, 2013 11:23 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Howdy -

I'm 6'3"+ and seem to be pretty locked in at around 227lbs.  I was pushing up near 280's not long ago and battling a dozen "incurable" autoimmune diseases.  Took matters in to my own hands, found out what was causing my illnesses and the weight melted off rapidly.  Prior, I would exercise up to 3 hours a day ( predominantly martial arts ) and saw very little weight loss.  For me - getting my diet / nutriton right came first.  I started running BECAUSE I lost the weight.  Before that, the pain was pretty rediculous.

My knees are shot, I walked with a cane, but I challenged myself to run 1 mile a day for 101 days.  I did.  So, I set a half marathon as my next goal and was able to complete that earlier this year.  I now run about 25-30 miles a week.  Best shape of my life.  Best muscle development of my life... and I'm mid 40's!  I have a few trail runs and 1/2's coming up and my first full marathon ( trail run with about 5,000' elevation gains ) will be my major goal for the year.
    * Lots of credit to reverting back to minimal running shoes.  Completely resolved shin splints, plantar fasciitis, and knee pain.

Nothing inspires me more than seeing "BIG" people run!  Seeing some "Pixie" fly by me at a 5minute pace with ipod and starbux in hand just sucks the life right out of me.  But seeing the big guy / gal out there accomplishing what they "shouldn't"... now that's a motivator!

pax,

bro. dave, ofs

• LauriA78 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    10,904. Aug 7, 2013 9:04 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I am very new to all of this... joining a website, "blogging" (I guess its called), and running!  I have attempted to run MANY times in the past, because I have always wanted to be able to do it, but have never suceeded close to a mile.  Out of frustration I would give up.  By chance, I came across this thread (again, not sure if I am using the corrrect terminology).  I am just under 200lbs, but this is the heavyiest I have ever been (with the exception of my pregnancy), and even worse, the unhealthiest!!!  Anyway... in some of the posts I came across Jeff Galloway run/walk method.  I googled it and think this approach may work better than what I have tried in the past.  Here are some questions I hope someone can shed some light on...

1.  I, like many other begginers, do not have shoes.  Where do I go for good advice? 

2.  What is the best time to fit in a 30 min walk/run?  Does it even matter?  I have always tried to run in the am to get it over with, but i am NOT a morning person and I assume (I may be wrong) that exercising on an empty stomach is what could have been making me quit so easy.     

Like I said, I am new to this site so I am still learning.  But I hope to get started FEELING BETTER!!!!  Thanks for the help. 

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...