Skip navigation

2008 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2013 5:42 PM by Tyson2123 RSS
JOki325 Rookie 1 posts since
May 25, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

May 25, 2013 7:58 PM

Tips comments...??

So I'm 16 going to 17 this july and I wanna try out for the team next year I weight 103 I measure 5'7

I got a decent mid range and ball handiling been told I got great defense and rebounding from my height and weight and all...

What I need is : What position should I play next year??? And tips for gaining weight and vertical??

TY

• 23AllDayEveryDay Pro 155 posts since
    Aug 1, 2011
    1. May 26, 2013 6:58 PM (in response to JOki325)
    Tips comments...??

POINT GUARD POINT GUARD POINT GUARD! Work on your handles, espicially when facing a press or trap (yes there are drills to work on that). I would check here for the 6-week guard workout as far as gaining weight goes. Also get a great mid-range and a good catch and shoot three, do these things and i promise you will have the makings of a high school point guard

• Rebound23 Pro 99 posts since
    Mar 16, 2012
    2. May 27, 2013 9:53 PM (in response to JOki325)
    Tips comments...??

I agree with 23AllDay when he says POINTGUARD! Also to add, when facing a press under no circumstances should you ever panic because that is a sure steal for the defender. Keep a cool head and remain focused. Adding a nice stepback to your arsenal would be nice and is you drive any good? You weigh 103 so I just assume it's not the best around. I could be wrong I don't know. If you want to gain weight just eat more calories than you burn. A +500 calorie is the most commonly used calorie surplus. Remember to eat clean  and hit up those protein sources. You can find some good workouts online or the 6-Week Guard Workout 23AllDay suggested. Bulking up will increase your overall athleticism and your effectiveness as a Pointguard. Try and get to 130+ by next season. Hope it all works out.

• CoachSteve35 Amateur 13 posts since
    Mar 1, 2013
    3. May 29, 2013 6:07 PM (in response to JOki325)
    Tips comments...??

5'7. Point guard.

But PG is not all about handles or weight or athleticism... It's all about basketball IQ. Develop a great feel for the game!

Coach Steve,

Follow me for advanced basketball tips

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/basketballperformance

Twitter: https://twitter.com/hoopinSteve

• NextCP3 Legend 320 posts since
    Apr 11, 2012
    4. Jun 13, 2013 10:10 AM (in response to JOki325)
    Tips comments...??

Point. A good way to gain weight is not to eat junk food. Sure that'd gain you a little weight but since you play basketball you'll be able to burn off those calories really easily. Good ways to gain weight is to eat fruits, vegetables, proteins etc. Those calories are harder to burn off and it'll make you gain weight in a healthy way

• SandraMartin3008 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 19, 2013
    5. Jun 20, 2013 4:24 AM (in response to JOki325)
    Tips comments...??
    I was  underweight! I have tried everything but I am just too plain lazy to do the  exercise part. I just put on one pound after 4 weeks of training. Recently I  found another app which is really useful to track my fitness activity. I use  the Android app for motivade http://bit.ly/121gefn
  • Tyson2123 Amateur 23 posts since
    Jul 30, 2013
    6. Aug 2, 2013 5:42 PM (in response to JOki325)
    Tips comments...??

Joki, everybody is saying point guard, but you could be a great shooter, too.  Normally, the smaller players play point guard, but if you develop a great jump shot, they wouldn't want you passing the ball all the time.

But, I would definitely recommend doing lots of ball handling drills.  These will help you whether you are a shooter, or a point guard.  And definitely keep working on your defense.  that is very important. 

If you want a few free ball handling drills to do, and a free shooting workout, check out basketballtrainingclub.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points