Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2389 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2013 5:50 PM by Kelly1066
idelsan Rookie 2 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 8, 2013 9:09 AM

I take up running...every year. Help?

Hi, I am not a very "sporty" person. In fact, I am just the opposite. But I have always had this fascination with running. The simplicity, the romanticism, the fight against yourself... And I have tried it, and if feels wonderful. It's good for the mind, the body and prevents me from getting fat. It's great. So what's the problem? For reasons that I do not exactly know, after a all those fights to get out of bed in the morning, all those runs in cold days (but really enjoying them) I just quit. One day I do not go for a run, and hen another...and then simply I am not running anymore. Normally the running period lasts between 4 to 6 months. Then, after another six months, I take it up again. And that each year since 2003. Now the "break" has been longer. I do not run since september 2011. And I do want to stick to it this time. I would really like to hear your advice. Thank's for your time.

• Kelly1066 Pro 133 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    1. Jul 10, 2013 7:58 AM (in response to idelsan)

That's tough - it's hard to troubleshoot motivation issues.  My advice is this: go ahead and start running again and enjoy it.  Focus on all the things you liked about running, and make it easy for yourself to stick with it by being flexible about your running schedule, not going too fast or too far, and do the things that clearly worked enough for you to make it through the four to six months of running in previous running seasons.  If you find yourself getting bored or unmotivated, change your running playlist, find a group to run with for something different, mix up your running location or drive somewhere to run somewhere scenic.  Keep it fresh.

Don't worry about quitting six months from now, instead, focus on your running this week and next week and keeping it enjoyable.  When you do go a day or two days or even a week without running, don't let that be a sign that you've quit and give up.  ANY day is a good day to go for another run even if you've taken an unscheduled break.  If you find yourself not into running for a bit, remind yourself of the frustration you're feeling now about how many times you've stopped after a great running streak, and use that as motivation to lace up and get out there.  You can also consider doing some other aerobic activities or cross training instead of running if you find your motivation wearing out, so that you can take a few weeks off and then get back into running where you left off because you've maintained your fitness through swimming or biking or something else.

If your motivation is waning you can also consider signing up for a race to give yourself something to prepare for.  Tell your family or friends and invite them to spectate so you're less likely to change your mind.

Write a letter to yourself today about why you're disappointed that you've stopped running, and why you wish you didn't have to get back into shape all over again now and you wish you'd stuck with it.  Put it somewhere where you can open it and read it when you've taken a week off from running and are on the verge of losing the habbit.

Keep track on a calendar of your runs and celebrate at the end of each month.  Plan to make yourself your favorite dinner or open a bottle of champagne once you've been running seven months (since you usually make it six) or even a year.

There are a lot of motivational tricks you can use, but at the end of the day the drive has to be internal and you have to pick the best ones that work for you.  Remembering to forgive yourself when you take a week off and start back into it instead of using it as a sign that you're done running is really important.  I got sick last fall and didn't run for three weeks... I was terrified that that was the end of it.  But as soon as I was better, I started running again.  Whew.

These are just some ideas on how to stay motivated and stick with it... maybe some of them will appeal to you, or maybe they'll help you come up with your own.  You have the keys to success - you've run before and kept at it for months at a time, and you have the desire to start again and not quit.  Combine your ability and the fact that you want to do it, and you can make it happen!

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

• GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    2. Aug 6, 2013 12:21 AM (in response to idelsan)

I'm having sort of the same problem except I keep having something sideline me and then I have trouble getting back to it after I am able to.  Unlike you I only make weeks instead of months.  My 1st attempt at the program was the longest I made it.  I was in week 9 (I had to repeat weeks and days so I'd started 14 weeks before) when we got rearended and I hurt my back.  It was about 3 or 4 months before I was well enough to get back to it. (I tried a few times) and then once I could it took me at least 2 months longer to get on a schedule again.  Once I did I had to back up to week 4 and go from there with a few runs repeated.  I got to the end of week 8 and hurt my knee in an accident unrelated to jogging.  Once again after it healed I had trouble getting back into the groove.  I finally did determined to make it to 5K which being slow will likely take me at least 2 or 3 weeks longer than the program calls for.  I called it my 3rd time's a charm try.  I started in week 3 or 4 hoping to build up my speed a bit by back tracking.  On my 2nd or 3rd jog I took a hard fall and landed on the knee that had been injured before.  I was sure it was all over and I sat on the side of the road crying in pain,  dissapointment and frustration.  Somehow I didn't actually injure my knee badly.  Other than it and my hands having a pretty bad road rash I was ready to jog again after only one missed jog.  I gave it an exra day or 2 to be sure and because I was a little nervous.  The I went back to my 3rd times a charm plan.  I was really struggling with the later weeks and trying to get past the 25 minute mark when I had to go in the hospital for a week for testing.  When I got out I could never quite pick up the rythem again.  I had excuses, other medical tests a biopsy (that was benign thank God) going to Disney World (where I actually jogged a bit in the park) and through it all I kept trying to get the rythem back.  Then I got sick with an awful cold that lasted 45 days.  I jogged once and got exposed to some chemicals that burned my lungs.  It took over a month for them to heal and by that time my MIL was dying.  All those things happened between Sept and March.  After she passed I kept thinking "I have to go jogging.  I want to go jogging" but for some reason I couldn't get out the door.  I had excused of course.  I wasn't feeling well.  My 6 year old was keeping me up too late.  A tree fell on my house.  OK some of them were better than others.  But I let more months slip away.  So here I am back again determined - as I was every other time - to do this!  I love to jog.  I love the feeling it gives me during and after.  I really, really want to do this and I'm not going to give up.  I don't know what it will take for me to make it.  I know that I'm older, overweight and undermotivated.  Well undersomething that keeps me from getting back up quickly after a set back.  The bad part is every time I miss time it's during the most beautiful weather of the year.  And every time I pick it back up it seems like we are in the worst heat of the year.  I think in the time I've been trying this I have jogged through some of the hottest parts of summer 3 times only to falter just as fall is slipping in.   This time I want to make it not only through the heat but through the glourious fall, winter and spring months.   I want to jog in beautiful weather that lifts me up and gives me wings instead of this heat that drains me.  I don't know what it will take but I am going to keep trying.  Hopefully we can both find the motivation we need. 

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    3. Aug 9, 2013 10:35 AM (in response to idelsan)

One fairly popular method of continuing with running when previous efforts have stalled out is to join a running club.  When you have friends and support where you rely on them for motivation and they in turn rely on you, it is much-much easier to keep it going for the long haul. 

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
    Jul 12, 2012
    4. Aug 9, 2013 5:47 PM (in response to GeoWolf)

Yikes, GeoWolf... that's some crazy amount of stuff that keeps de-railing your running.  Hope you get some smooth sailing soon.  The great thing is your resiliency and willingness to keep picking it back up.  The other great thing is that none of those weeks of C25K completed are in vain.  Every time you get aerobic exercise, it's helping your health and giving you endorphins from running - so all of those times you laced up and got out there may feel wasted when you don't make it to your end goal, but they were really good for you along the way. 

Remembering that really helps me when I have a bad run... two miles instead of four is still two miles of aerobic activity that will improve my day and my longevity.  Worth it.

Good luck - when your life gets out of your way and you make it through that first 5k it will be EVEN SWEETER because of all the obstacles you've encountered on your way.

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Jul 12, 2012
    5. Aug 9, 2013 5:50 PM (in response to shipo)

Shipo makes a great point about a running group - I actually wrote a blog post about why people who are thinking about it should go ahead and join a running group in July.  There may even be a c25k group in your area - active.com has a list of running groups by state that you can check out.

you can check out my blog post about my experience with a running group here:

http://iamrunningthis.blogspot.com/2013/07/why-you-shouldnt-be-scared-to-join.html

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points