Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3175 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2013 5:42 PM by Kelly1066
Kelly1066 Pro 128 posts since
Jul 12, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 24, 2013 7:03 AM

Wondering what to do after C25K? Thoughts on where to go next

Congrats to everyone who's doing Couch to 5k, starting it, or finishing it this summer!  I did Couch to 5k last year, and I remember feeling so lost after the program was over.  I was no longer improving at the same rate now that I could run three miles.  I no longer had a 5k looming to keep me motivated.  I didn't have an app planning my exercise for me.  Those might sound small, but they left me feeling totally lost!  What was next?  Just exercising regularly?  A 10k?  Getting faster?  Not worrying about speed?

If you're having some of these thoughts you may enjoy checking out today's blog post about deciding where you go with running after Couch 2 5k!

http://iamrunningthis.blogspot.com/2013/07/whats-next-after-c25k-choosing-running.html

IMG_7089e.jpg

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

• JenniferMolnar0 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 4, 2013

Kelly - I read your blog post and couldn't agree more that we have to first decide on our goals before deciding on a training schedule.  My goals are to lose weight and get "fit." To that end, I am following Weight Watchers and have committed to exercising 30 minutes a day, give or take. 

I have been alternating C25K workouts with strength training/biking/swimming on my non-running days, and usually taking at least one day of complete rest (or easy walking).

My dilemma is that I am near to achieving my first goal of running a 5K (I am almost done with C25K).  I need a new running goal to keep me motivated, but I am NOT willing to invest more than about 30 minutes a day in my exercise routine.  Yet, most of the post-C25K workout threads I have read have been emphasizing a move up to 10K distances.

I would much prefer to focus on improving my SPEED and/or INTENSITY at this point, rather than distance.  (Eventually, I DO hope to be running MORE than 3.1 miles in 30 minutes time, but still keep my overall running time to about a half an hour...)

I'm thinking interval workouts would be the way to go.   But I'm a newbie to "speed work," and need advice on how to structure my weekly workouts.

So I'm hoping some of you more experienced runners might have some suggestions.  And please do NOT tell me to run farther.  I used to run long distance in college (yes, I've done those 20 mile long runs).  But I have other priorities in life now.

Thanks in advance.

- Jen

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I finished 3 yrs ago, some of the people in our group formed a c25k to a 10k I liked it because it gave me goal and a reason to run when I didn't feel like it.  I ran a few 5ks and also ran with a girl 3 days a week until she moved. I now run bymyself and I like it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...